Hughes and Connolly.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaby blue blood

.... will not be playing against Oxford, but will probably be in the team for Sheff Utd!!!

Are they gonna be fit enough? Only played 2 pre-season games each :102:

Is a half fit conners good enough to bag a couple againts the blunts away from home?

Ive got everything crossed..........

Blaby blue blood said:
.... will not be playing against Oxford, but will probably be in the team for Sheff Utd!!!

Are they gonna be fit enough? Only played 2 pre-season games each :102:

Is a half fit conners good enough to bag a couple againts the blunts away from home?

Ive got everything crossed..........

0-0 written all over it. :icon_sad:

The two of them are apparently close to fitness but not 100%, so Levein won't risk them. I'd say a wise move. I'd sooner have 60 minutes out the both of them against Sheff Utd than not have them at all.

Just looking ahead to the Sheff Utd match I think we could be seeing:

________________Douglas

Maybury___Johannson___McCarthty____Gilbert

Sylla_______Hughes_____Williams______Wilcox

_________Connolly______De vries

Subs
Henderson
Gerrbrand
Dublin
Gudjohnsen
Stearman

Any thoughts?

Micky said:
The two of them are apparently close to fitness but not 100%, so Levein won't risk them. I'd say a wise move. I'd sooner have 60 minutes out the both of them against Sheff Utd than not have them at all.

________________Douglas

Subs
Henderson
Gerrbrand
Dublin
Gudjohnsen
Stearman

Any thoughts?

Looks spot on to me.

dpjfox said:
Kisnarbro or Joey will be in the midfield and either Williams or Hughes

Those were my thoughts but kisnorbo hasnt played much and I don't think levein will drop either of the scots

Micky said:

________________Douglas

Subs
Henderson
Gerrbrand
Dublin
Gudjohnsen
Stearman

Any thoughts?

I cant see Hughes and Williams as the central 2 giving us enough cover as neither are strong tackling holding midfielders, and one being a lazy barsteward! but with Tiatto suspended, Kisnorbo & Weso injured and Gudjohnsen having been in Iceland for most of the pre-season, it leaves us with little choice!

The new striker, if we ever get one :icon_roll will be on the bench for when conners cant breath anymore! Not too sure Gilbert will start, he's hardly had the time to settle into the playing style...... to be honest, we can guess the team till the cows come home!

Blaby blue blood said:
I cant see Hughes and Williams as the central 2 giving us enough cover as neither are strong tackling holding midfielders, and one being a lazy barsteward! but with Tiatto suspended, Kisnorbo & Weso injured and Gudjohnsen having been in Iceland for most of the pre-season, it leaves us with little choice!

The new striker, if we ever get one :icon_roll will be on the bench for when conners cant breath anymore! Not too sure Gilbert will start, he's hardly had the time to settle into the playing style...... to be honest, we can guess the team till the cows come home!

Well ive just fetched the cows home! And im guessing!

drummindefender said:
I think he will, no-one else who is available can play left back!

Sheehan?

My team would probably be...

Douglas

Maybury
McCarthy
Johansson
Sheehan

Sylla
Hughes
Gudjonsson
Wilcox (grudgingly)

Connolly
De Vries (or new striker...)

:rolleyes:

davieg on another forum said:
Latest from GtFox;

The PA (Press Association) rumour machine has been working overtime this afternoon, the lastest being that we have accepted an offer of £1M for Connolly (Sunderland?) and that we will bring in Derek Riordan from Hibs plus another striker.

I think the only certain thing is that CL is working overtime to bring the striker dept up to scratch before the season starts and Tim Davies is desperate for promotion and wants a high profile signing.

Even a return of Dickov was mentioned by one reporter as he is likely to be out of favour at Blackburn, with Bellamy and Cole being first choice.

So Connolly is out because he is off to Sunderland. :icon_eek: :eek:

Stevie, is that guy usually reliable?

From what I've heard about him, I wouldn't mind getting rid of Connolly if we were guaranteed to be able to sign Riordan! We'd still need one more though.

Wouldn't mind Dickov coming back, but he is the wrong age for Levein. If he is far down the pecking order at Blackburn though (which he could well be), we could have him on loan! ;)

Micky said:

________________Douglas

Subs
Henderson
Gerrbrand
Dublin
Gudjohnsen
Stearman

Any thoughts?

I'm sure CL would rather have a defensive midfielder in there. We are pretty short in that department at the moment - if he doesn't play Joey, I wonder if Gerrbrand could "do a job" as the holding midfielder. Full-backs have done quite well for us there, as long as they've got energy and can pass a bit (Pontus and Ullathorne for example). It's always a bit of a desperation measure (and a bit tough on Gerrbrand, to play his debut out of position), but we've only got Joey fit; he's clearly not first choice anymore, and he's missed the last few pre-season games for personal reasons. Anyway, Gerrbrand may be crap there, so it could be a moot point.

Edited: of course, he's mainly a centre back! I just keep thinking of him as a full back because he can play there apparently and may end up doing so.

Also, if CL's going to adopt his "one side narrow" technique, then we probably won't see Sylla and Willcox (the only two genuine wide players in the squad) in the same team very often. Tiatto wanders inside all the time naturally so he'll work for that role when not suspended (if that ever happens:icon_lol:). We may see Hughes on the left, leaving Williams and ?DefMid? in the centre. I think we'll see that quite often, although the Sheff Utd game may not be the one, as injuries and suspensions may force him to decide on the team mentioned above.

But even with the current crop of injuries, CL still has plenty of options. I think this shows the depth of the squad is better, even though it's smaller than last season.

Last edited:
Graz said:
Stevie, is that guy usually reliable?

From what I've heard about him, I wouldn't mind getting rid of Connolly if we were guaranteed to be able to sign Riordan! We'd still need one more though.

Wouldn't mind Dickov coming back, but he is the wrong age for Levein. If he is far down the pecking order at Blackburn though (which he could well be), we could have him on loan! ;)

davieg is reliable but he is in the same situation as me, in that all we are doing is passing on gossip. This is gossip that is doing the rounds at the PA and neither of us know how reliable it is. :102: :) :) ;)

Steven said:
:rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieg on another forum
Latest from GtFox;

The PA (Press Association) rumour machine has been working overtime this afternoon, the lastest being that we have accepted an offer of £1M for Connolly (Sunderland?) and that we will bring in Derek Riordan from Hibs plus another striker.

I think the only certain thing is that CL is working overtime to bring the striker dept up to scratch before the season starts and Tim Davies is desperate for promotion and wants a high profile signing.

Even a return of Dickov was mentioned by one reporter as he is likely to be out of favour at Blackburn, with Bellamy and Cole being first choice.

So Connolly is out because he is off to Sunderland. :icon_eek: :eek:

That's interesting, Cole isn't at Blackburn!

GTFox posts stuff from the PA all the time on the foxfanzine website, I don't think I've seen the info he's passed on be right yet. Doesn't mean he won't be this time though but...

Although a million would be nice compared to what we paid for him, if CL is building for the future this is the way to business. Lets play him for another season and see what he is really abotu and hopefully get 3 million for him. I believe that we are yet to see the full David Connelly yet.

The only way this will work is if Cl has an idea of a couple of really good slightly younger strikers he wants to buy and needs the money to do so, which I will assume he does need the money from a "big" sale as we all know how short of money we really are.

Micky, I just put forward the exact same team and bench to the Mercury's Blue Army site, so I guess we are in agreement!

I think we need to trust Levein's judgement if he decides to seel Connors to bring in a couple of new strikers. I would like to see how he does for us this year though, as I think he will have a far better season. Don't know if things have gone off behind the scenes that would end up with Connors leaving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670