I am an idiot (help train people)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummindefender

Ok last night whilst half asleep I booked train tickets -however instead of booking a ticket from london to leicester I booked a ticket from leicester to london (twat!). Is there anyway I can change this without forking out for a new ticket ? Its an advance single so I don't hold much hope !!

Ring the 087..... , whatever the number is and try and get them to change it

My daughter 2 weeks ago did a similar thing when she was tired on the EastMidlands online booking except hers was still coming back from Liverpool which was what she wanted, just the wrong day! She only found out on the way to the train station when I noticed it had the following day. Anyway she explained to the guard on the way to Liverpool and he changed the ticket to the right day for an additional £5.

So are you going down to London by train as well and you have that ticket already

Ok last night whilst half asleep I booked train tickets -however instead of booking a ticket from london to leicester I booked a ticket from leicester to london (twat!). Is there anyway I can change this without forking out for a new ticket ? Its an advance single so I don't hold much hope !!

You'll need to go to a ticket office or ring the telesales dept of the train company whose website you used. They will change the ticket for you; you will have to pay any difference between the price of the tickets plus a £10 admin fee.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/buying-tickets/changing-and-cancelling-tickets.html

Last edited:
My daughter 2 weeks ago did a similar thing when she was tired on the EastMidlands online booking except hers was still coming back from Liverpool which was what she wanted, just the wrong day! She only found out on the way to the train station when I noticed it had the following day. Anyway she explained to the guard on the way to Liverpool and he changed the ticket to the right day for an additional £5.

What kind of a ticket did she hold? A guard isn't able to change an Advance ticket; he has no access to the booking allocation. Any return ticket would in any case also be valid for return on the previous day so it wouldn't need changing. Any single ticket other than an advance would have to be refunded at the office of issue and a new ticket issued. Either the guard was acting outside his authority or you're making up stories.

What kind of a ticket did she hold? A guard isn't able to change an Advance ticket; he has no access to the booking allocation. Any return ticket would in any case also be valid for return on the previous day so it wouldn't need changing. Any single ticket other than an advance would have to be refunded at the office of issue and a new ticket issued. Either the guard was acting outside his authority or you're making up stories.

A guard changed my ticket before at Euston after we were late back from Millwall. The office wouldn't help so I pleaded with the guard at the barrier who wrote something on the back of the ticket to allow me to travel. Acting outside of his authority by the sounds of it.

A guard changed my ticket before at Euston after we were late back from Millwall. The office wouldn't help so I pleaded with the guard at the barrier who wrote something on the back of the ticket to allow me to travel. Acting outside of his authority by the sounds of it.

That would be a case of the guard using his discretion. I presume that you were travelling on either a Virgin or a London Midland train. If you were on an EMT train use of discretion would be a very rare thing.

EDIT: Silly me - you said Euston - there was a clue there.

Last edited:
I booked a ticket down from Nottingham and was meant to book one back to Leicester.

Most people would be exchanging for another ticket for a journey in the same direction but there's no reason that you can't exchange for a ticket in the opposite direction or to/from a different station or pair of stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566