if you think you can do better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldGit

Wednesday November 22, 2006
Guardian Unlimited

"Is there any truth in the story that Harry Redknapp once fielded a spectator during a West Ham game?" asks Terry Williams. "Legend has it that the Hammers were having a shocker and a fan was heckling them. Harry is then supposed to have turned round and said: 'If you think you can do any better, then prove it!'"
Incredibly, the legend is true, Terry. In 1994, Redknapp was assistant manager of West Ham and his side were playing Oxford City in a pre-season friendly when ... well, we'll let 'Arry take up the tale:

"Lee Chapman was playing for us at the time," recounts Redknapp. "All through the first half some tattooed skinhead behind me was giving Lee terrible stick. At half-time I turned to this bloke who had West Ham etched on his neck and asked 'Can you play as good as you talk?' He looked totally confused. So I told him he was going to get his dream to play for West Ham. We sent him down the tunnel and he reappeared 10 minutes later all done out in the strip. He ran on to the pitch and a journalist from the local Oxford paper sidled up and asked 'Who's that Harry?' I said 'What? Haven't you been watching the World Cup? That's the great Bulgarian Tittyshev!' The fella wasn't bad - actually, he scored!"

The fella in question was a 27-year-old called Steve Davies who had given up park football six years earlier. The West Ham board were obviously impressed with Harry's idiosyncratic decision-making: they made him manager a month later.

:icon_lol:

I remember that.

Anyone who watches sky ones dream team will recognise this story. God that show is crap!

Used to be good a long time ago, now it is crap!
Still give it to Linda Block all night long though(assuming there was nobody on Xbox live of course)

Last edited:
Still give it to Linda Block all night long though(assuming there was nobody on Xbox live of course)

obviously :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Although she does do the Daz adverts now :icon_roll

i remember watching dream team around the time of louis rodrigues and karl fletcher (before he made his various come backs)

I watched it from Series 1 up to Series 6-7.

Remember when Dean Sturridge was at Harchester United on loan? They also had Junior McDougald if I'm right. Ron Atkinson was briefly manager too.

i remember watching dream team around the time of louis rodrigues and karl fletcher (before he made his various come backs)

:038: :038: :038:

Scott Lucas was also a legend:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675