Installing Windows7 on an XP machine from usb stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

Ok, to all you IT people out there HELP!

I want to install Windows7 onto my laptop which currently has XP on it.
I want to completely overwrite XP.

What I have:

- 4GB usb stick
- Windows7 ISO (Completely blank and formatted to NTFS)
- Patience and willingness to learn

I've looked at loads of resources on the web but none have helped thus far.

What I want to achieve is to be able to boot from the USB stick and install Windows7 from that but I cannot for the life of me work it out.
I've read lots about partitioning the USB stick, but none of it is really helping me.

Can any of you help me out?

Cheers,
Joe_Fox

I think you would be far better putting the ISO on to a blank DVD and installing from there.

I think you would be far better putting the ISO on to a blank DVD and installing from there.

That wouldn't work.

An ISO file is an image - it needs BURNING to a CVD/DVD rather than simply being copied over :icon_wink

Anyway Joe, I hope the ISO wasn't obtained from dubious sources!

Last edited:
Unless there are specific windows programs you need to run why use windows 7, a version of Linux would probably work out simpler.

That's what I meant ...

I'm sure it was, but someone not 'in the know' may have thought you meant simply to copy it across.

Anyway, I'm a pedantic argumentative ****er so it gave me an opportunity to reaffirm that :icon_bigg

Unless there are specific windows programs you need to run why use windows 7, a version of Linux would probably work out simpler.

I'm a great fan of Linux, I use it most days, but to somebody who has only ever known Windows it can be a bit of a challenge if things aren't how they are used to them being.

He may not have a cd drive

If he can access a network that has another computer with a cd drive, that won't be a problem.

You can't install Windows from a network any way that I know of.

Sorry. I was forgetting that was the aim. Is there no way that the netbook could 'see' and 'use' another machines cd-drive in these circumstances?

Sorry. I was forgetting that was the aim. Is there no way that the netbook could 'see' and 'use' another machines cd-drive in these circumstances?

Not really but he has an ISO so it's not really an issue. That's effectively a CD but without the need for a cd drive to make it work.

still struggling here. Got so far (starts installing, language settings etc) thanks to durham but it says drivers are missing. Where do i get the drivers from? And which ones do i need? Dell machine

still struggling here. Got so far (starts installing, language settings etc) thanks to durham but it says drivers are missing. Where do i get the drivers from? And which ones do i need? Dell machine

Joe, seriously??

you told me it was dell latitude d630. It took me 13 seconds to find this:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1

D
ownload the basic drivers like SATA, chipset, Network and VGA

Last edited:

Windows 7 should install most of the drivers automatically.

If not just download driver genius and let it do the work for you, sometimes you get certain drivers which just won't install and will leave you with a yellow exclamation mark icon in device manager. Just google the hardware ID and you should be able to find the driver that way :)

Windows 7 should install most of the drivers automatically.

If not just download driver genius and let it do the work for you, sometimes you get certain drivers which just won't install and will leave you with a yellow exclamation mark icon in device manager. Just google the hardware ID and you should be able to find the driver that way :)

Windows is asking for drivers pre-installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669