Internets provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedfoxxx

Hi all,

Basically I'm moving into a student house soon and we need to sort out an internet connection. We have a landline connection so I was thinking some kind of home hub as 4 people will be using it. (I know very little about this sort of thing so any help would be greatly appreciated)

Just wondering who offers the best value for money and what kind of set up would be best.

Cheers, Ted.

The best deal will depend on how you're planning to use it.

If you're going to do a lot of streaming of videos and P2P stuff the cheaper deals will be unsuitable because of the data restrictions.

A lot of broadband suppliers will provide a free wireless router, but they're available for around £20 if you don't get one included.

We're renting it for two years, hopefully this isn't too short a time to get a deal. The current lack of a TV connection in the house will probably mean lots of streaming and online viewing going on, although I need to ask my landlord about possibly getting a cable installed for the TV while they're still doing up the house.

Thanks for the help Jeff. I'll probably have a look at Virgin first, got it at home and it is a good service. Very complementary things said in a similar thread in General Chat too.

Dont forget the TV License

Yeah, good point MoFo.
Ted, make sure that all of your house mates are briefed on how to deal with TV licence inspectors.
When they call, whoever answers the door should just state that you have no use for a TV licence, full stop, don't enter into any further dialogue. Don't answer any questions, don't provide any names and don't allow them in. You're not obliged to answer any of their questions and they have no power of entry.

Yeah, good point MoFo.
Ted, make sure that all of your house mates are briefed on how to deal with TV licence inspectors.
When they call, whoever answers the door should just state that you have no use for a TV licence, full stop, don't enter into any further dialogue. Don't answer any questions, don't provide any names and don't allow them in. You're not obliged to answer any of their questions and they have no power of entry.
The ****ers harassed my grandad for years despite him not owning a tv. The high tech tv detection equipment they were threatening everyone with at the time seemed to be some twat peering through the letterbox.

Well if it's any help, I'm with Plusnet (was Force9) and I have never had a problem. Their customer service is very good as is their tech support.

The ****ers harassed my grandad for years despite him not owning a tv. The high tech tv detection equipment they were threatening everyone with at the time seemed to be some twat peering through the letterbox.

Sounds very similar to my high tech sexy lady detection equipment.

The high tech tv detection equipment they were threatening everyone with at the time seemed to be some twat peering through the letterbox.

That is precisely what they use. The myth about detector vans is just a scare-mongering tactic and the inspectors that call out harassing people on their doorsteps are paid by commission.

the inspectors that call out harassing people on their doorsteps are paid by commission.

God forbid they should pay people to catch law breakers on an incentivised wage

:)

God forbid they should pay people to catch law breakers on an incentivised wage

:)

Incentivised harassment, yeah, that's a great idea for a supposedly civilised country.
So if people who choose not submit to their harassment are "law breakers", does that mean there is an injured party because they haven't paid the Telly Tax?

Incentivised harassment, yeah, that's a great idea for a supposedly civilised country.
So if people who choose not submit to their harassment are "law breakers", does that mean there is an injured party because they haven't paid the Telly Tax?

If they are law breakers, we are all the 'injured party'. If they are not law breakers, they should not be harrassed; I don't think anybody who is aware of the tactics of the 'licence inspectors' would defend them.

Everyone else who pays a raised level of "Telly Tax"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566