iPad - alternative to 'drag and drop'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

I am tempted by an iPad but it's bugging me that you don't seem to be able to drag and drop files from a PC.

Is that right? Is there a workaround?

Ta AppleFanBoys and girls.

If you jailbreak the iPad you can drag and drop to your hearts content.

It's legal and easy.

I've been using an iPad for work when travelling for a few weeks so that I don't have to carry a laptop and all the anicillaries around, I find dropping stuff in the dropbox folder on my laptop the easiest way to move stuff to the pad.

Doesn't it invalidate the warranty though?

To Jailbreak it with Absynthe2.0 it is no more than clicking on the install button in the .exe.

To return it to a normal iPad it takes no more than a pop into iTunes and clicking on the restore option.

Jailbreaking the iPhone4 was the best thing I did to it, it improved battery life, opened up many customising options and gave me access to a whole load of apps Apple deem unAppleworthy. The phone was two years old but I'd have no hesitation jailbreaking an iPad or phone if I had one.

To Jailbreak it with Absynthe2.0 it is no more than clicking on the install button in the .exe.

To return it to a normal iPad it takes no more than a pop into iTunes and clicking on the restore option.

Jailbreaking the iPhone4 was the best thing I did to it, it improved battery life, opened up many customising options and gave me access to a whole load of apps Apple deem unAppleworthy. The phone was two years old but I'd have no hesitation jailbreaking an iPad or phone if I had one.

I agree it's the best thing to do, indeed I have rooted my Android phone. I was just making him aware that it would invalidate his warranty if he did it.

This might help you do what you want ...

Cheers SJN, but...............

I find dropping stuff in the dropbox folder on my laptop the easiest way to move stuff to the pad.

Dropbox for me too. Simple.

I use Dropbox all the time on my PC's and phone but never thought of it for the iPad. Problem is I don't save my music and videos in my Dropbox folder so I'd still have to resort to plan B to transfer the 16GB or so of files over.

By the way, anyone interested in Dropbox? If so, please feel free to use the link in my sig which will give me a bit more storage space :icon_bigg

I use Dropbox all the time on my PC's and phone but never thought of it for the iPad. Problem is I don't save my music and videos in my Dropbox folder so I'd still have to resort to plan B to transfer the 16GB or so of files over.

You don't have to keep them in your Dropbox. You'd just be using it as a means of transferring them, not as a means of storing them.

I am tempted by an iPad .....

That's your problem right there. I don't need to read any further

I currently use MS Windows based PC's, Linux (Ubuntu and Mint) PC and netbook and an Android phone. I have in the past used Acorn Electrons, Oric 1's, Speccys, C64's and yes, even an Apple Mac once.

Generally speaking I am not a lover of Apple or its proprietory software and have knocked Apple products on this very forum in the past.

However, the new iPad is one very sexy piece of kit IMHO and until I have seen (and ruled out) the new Asus Nexus 7 (chance would be a fine thing as everyone is sold out before they even have stock!) or until a 10" Android device running JellyBean comes along then a purchase of an iPad gets ever closer.

You don't have to keep them in your Dropbox. You'd just be using it as a means of transferring them, not as a means of storing them.

Yes, but the thought of uploading 16GB of files only to download them again to another device because it doesn't cope with D'n'D seems frankly ridiculous!

I currently use MS Windows based PC's, Linux (Ubuntu and Mint) PC and netbook and an Android phone. I have in the past used Acorn Electrons, Oric 1's, Speccys, C64's and yes, even an Apple Mac once.

Generally speaking I am not a lover of Apple or its proprietory software and have knocked Apple products on this very forum in the past.

However, the new iPad is one very sexy piece of kit IMHO and until I have seen (and ruled out) the new Asus Nexus 7 (chance would be a fine thing as everyone is sold out before they even have stock!) or until a 10" Android device running JellyBean comes along then a purchase of an iPad gets ever closer.

Leaving aside my views on Apple as a company, the iPad is a toy. A not very sexy toy. Quite useful for skinning up on, but that's about it.
And, yes, we do have one in the house.

You only get 2GB free with Dropbox. Google Drive gives you 5GB free.

I'm currently on 3.9GB with Dropbox so although a better deal, I haven't gone with Google yet as they are starting to control my entire on-line presence!

Yes, but the thought of uploading 16GB of files only to download them again to another device because it doesn't cope with D'n'D seems frankly ridiculous!

Yes, it is rather absurd, but at least you don't have to do anything other than sync two devices to Dropbox

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670