Is Liverpool the second city?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with using buildings as a measure of a place.

Then we are never going to agree. It has been the architecture that has been the greatest attraction for me.

Birmingham has the River Rea, the River Tame and the River Cole; all of which run through it. Liverpool merely has the Mersey which runs along its boundary; the "magnificent river" could also be said to belong to Birkenhead, Runcorn, Widnes, Warrington and sundry other places as far east as Manchester and Stockport. Venice has 26 miles of canals; the Birmingham Canal Navigations still stretch for just over 100 miles (formerly about 160 miles), 35 miles of which are within the city boundary.

Huyton is not Liverpool. Harold Wilson might have had an odd accent but it was immeasurably more pleasant than that of a Liverpudlian.

Just one of a number of very interesting posts. I admit to never having heard of the Rea, the Tame and the Cole, My reference to the canals of Venice was about quality. One canal the Giudecca has four buildings treasured by architectural historians - the Redentore, the Gesuati, the Salute and arguably San Georgio Maggiore and that is not the greatest canal - The Grand Canal.

Again I have learned something - I always thought Huyton was part of Liverpool.

There have been a number of references to Manchester. These days my travel is restricted and I regret not having visited more often when I was able. From what I am told on this site and elsewhere Manchester is a remarkable city.

York has neither Richard III nor a football club in the top 92. On that criteria, I declare Leicester the first city.
Fails the first test: "most other cities fall into the trap of trying to emulate it by being shit and full of other wankers"

I'm not fond of Manchester, the city centre is a dirty hole full of people with dirty holes.

I don't like many UK cities to be fair.

I give the award to Brisbane by default.

Manchester has turned into a proper shit hole over the last ten years or so. It has always had a bit of an 'edge', as in you're never far away from a scumbag who'd rob your wallet at knife point given half a chance, but that vibe used to be an undercurrent, these days the shit is out in the open, everywhere you look. Liverpool is even worse than Manchester, can't stand the place and its awful natives.

Birmingham is very underrated for me. OK it's an exceptionally ugly city, surely the ugliest city of that size anywhere in the world, and the natives are largely hideous, and there are a fair amount of gang wars, and I take it back, it's not underrated at all.

Bristol is better than all of the above. Edinburgh and Cardiff are also nice cities, in fact those two are probably the nicest of the larger cities in the UK.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city.

Bristol is a rich enclave.

Has anyone considered Coventry?
I've never actually been there myself but everyone that I know that has been there (Ok, 3 people) think that it's possibly the worst city in England.

I just thought I share that snippet.

I know both Manchester & Liverpool quite well (I've lived in both) and I don't think one is particularly better than the other. Some will say Liverpool, some Manchester. They both have quite a lot going for them. One thing I don't like about Liverpool is the Beatles. The modern city seem to think that they are the only thing from Liverpool to be remembered and proud of.

Has anyone considered Coventry?
I've never actually been there myself but everyone that I know that has been there (Ok, 3 people) think that it's possibly the worst city in England.

I just thought I share that snippet.

I know both Manchester & Liverpool quite well (I've lived in both) and I don't think one is particularly better than the other. Some will say Liverpool, some Manchester. They both have quite a lot going for them. One thing I don't like about Liverpool is the Beatles. The modern city seem to think that they are the only thing from Liverpool to be remembered and proud of.
I worked there for a while. Not a single thing to recommend it. Even the Ikea is shit.

Is Ikea a japanese dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670