Is Seagrave partly to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olibar

Just me thinking out loud. Plush new facilities; large, clean, sterile and all a little bit soulless perhaps. Sure, everything that a modern player could need but is it a home?

I watched an 'A Day In The Life' video on yt which featured KDH and it made Seagrave look empty, like a museum.

Lookman appeared, alone and seemingly amusing/educating himself by looking bored at a computer. Video footage of a previous game perhaps but could have been an interactive learning experience on Richard III.

Cags on the massage table, playing on his phone in his own world. Uninterested in conversation with KDH, angered even by the intrusion, begrudgingly says hello to the camera.

Has the club, with the best of intentions, created a mausoleum?

Think about it as your place of work. One that you perhaps don't look forward to going to each day. Undoubtedly, covid etc has had a mental effect on people (due to the restrictions they have faced) but what also if your place of work (whilst being undeniably state-of-the-art fantastic) is also something like a huge, bland corporate tower. All white walls and minimalism, somewhere were colleagues are people you pass in the corridors.

I assume you meant “partly” in the thread title. I thought it was going to be another Leicester party story.

I don’t think Seagrave has seen a party since VE Day.

I assume you meant “partly” in the thread title. I thought it was going to be another Leicester party story.
Yes I do. Title duly edited. Anything I type on my tablet is prone to error, either because I don't see the mistake and/or spell check 'corrects' it to something I didn't mean!

Yes I do. Title duly edited. Anything I type on my tablet is prone to error, either because I don't see the mistake and/or spell check 'corrects' it to something I didn't mean!
It was an effective click-bait typo :)

Change the name from Seagrave to C-grade and it accurately encapsulates our performances since it opened.

That was at Danny Ward's house with Hamza and Justin

Whilst I think there could be an argument that an over-indulgent training centre could lead to complacency and a false sense of entitlement, I think all prem footballers are looked after in extremely pampering environments. I'm sure in time Seagrave will be a very astute investment. Whether the same can be said of any stadium enlargement is more of a gamble at the moment possibly!

I was thinking a similar thing several weeks back.
When clubs build their new super 50,000 seater stadium 8 miles away from the previous city based, run-down, dilapidated ground, they often take a season or two to make it a home.

I don't really know what I am talking about with the world of professional footballers but the new Seagrave Centre does look (to me) far too anesthetic, clean, and not what is needed for a battling football team.

It does look wonderful in the pictures though.

Whilst I think there could be an argument that an over-indulgent training centre could lead to complacency and a false sense of entitlement,
That's not really what I mean. It's a sense of alienation, rather than entitlement, that might be created. The place is overawing perhaps. Oriface is closer to my thoughts here...

When clubs build their new super 50,000 seater stadium 8 miles away from the previous city based, run-down, dilapidated ground, they often take a season or two to make it a home.

I don't really know what I am talking about with the world of professional footballers but the new Seagrave Centre does look (to me) far too anesthetic, clean, and not what is needed for a battling football team.

I'm hoping our squad can make it a home, if it's not already, but I do wonder if, along with lockdowns etc, it has added to feeling of isolation, alienation and anonymity rather than fostering a sense of belonging.

I believe that a physical working environment has a massive impact on performance at a corporate level.

No reason to think it's any different in sport. Suspect it's playing some part.

I agree that it may take a short time to make a new facility seem 'homely' but, if the players can't appreciate a state of the art training centre, then maybe Rodgers is right that we've got some players without the winning mentality.

After all, if a fantastic training ground works against improving the players, surely Oldham would have a better team than Manchester City.

if the players can't appreciate a state of the art training centre
I think it'd possibly be more subtle than that. I'm sure they appreciated it from day 1 - it looks to be one helluva place with all you could ever wish for (in a training centre anyway!) I think the effect I'm thinking of would be more a subconscious reaction to the size and newness of the place.

Imagine the house hunting experience where you might think 'wow, this place is amazing!' but you know its not for you - it doesn't feel right. Give it time, and I'm sure it could become home but that initial impression is daunting.

On a tour of the training centre, the bloke who runs the place said that the ethos was to cater for the players in every way possible with regard to training facilities, diet, treatment, rest and recuperation etc. To make things as perfect as they could. Pampered in every way. The idea behind this is that can be no excuses for a bad performance other than the player. Nothing or nobody to blame but himself.

On a tour of the training centre, the bloke who runs the place said that the ethos was to cater for the players in every way possible with regard to training facilities, diet, treatment, rest and recuperation etc. To make things as perfect as they could. Pampered in every way. The idea behind this is that can be no excuses for a bad performance other than the player. Nothing or nobody to blame but himself.
How does getting arseholed at 5am “some time ago” fit into this fine-tuning of player conditioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566