Is this racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIF

The BBC along with every other media outlet that I have watched or read today have repeatedly talked about "the first black president ...". I can't remember any other incumbent being referred to as a white president, is the use of the adjective black not classed as racist?

After all he's not even black. I thought the PC brigade wanted everyone to say "African American" or maybe it's something else now.

I'm pretty sure that the better candidate won but I'm unsure about the adjective "black" being okay here when it wouldn't be okay to use white in a similar situation.

Thoughts?

The BBC along with every other media outlet that I have watched or read today have repeatedly talked about "the first black president ...". I can't remember any other incumbent being referred to as a white president, is the use of the adjective black not classed as racist?

After all he's not even black. I thought the PC brigade wanted everyone to say "African American" or maybe it's something else now.

I'm pretty sure that the better candidate won but I'm unsure about the adjective "black" being okay here when it wouldn't be okay to use white in a similar situation.

Thoughts?

I think its just the historical hysteria of it all. I hope he's been voted in as the best man for the job who happens to be black/African American. My fathers family (several generations before him) originated in Norway, but I don't often get referred to as a Norwegian Britisher. But the again I'm not often elected as President of the USA? Nah, not racist, just lazy new again.

Thoughts?

I really don't grasp your argument. What, specifically, is 'racist' about it?

I really don't grasp your argument. What, specifically, is 'racist' about it?

Firstly Barack Obama is white. :icon_wink Secondly I think FIF is referring to the gratuitous, and indeed erroneous, use of the word "Black" when describing him as it draws a distinction between him and other Presidents.

It can only really be racist if the use of the word is pejorative. :102:

Firstly Barack Obama is white. :icon_wink Secondly I think FIF is referring to the gratuitous, and indeed erroneous, use of the word "Black" when describing him as it draws a distinction between him and other Presidents.

It can only really be racist if the use of the word is pejorative. :102:

What bollocks! He is roughly 2/3 cast, not that it makes any difference but your poinst was just as erroneous as the media's use of Black.

What bollocks! He is roughly 2/3 cast, not that it makes any difference but your poinst was just as erroneous as the media's use of Black.

Equally bollocks to call him black though. :icon_wink

**** me, do we have to hold a Dulux colourcard up to his face everytime we reference him. I ain't white but I baulk at being termed pink with one purple bit!

Last edited:
That made me laugh out loud, but I feel bad for doing it :icon_lol:

Haha, brilliant! Though why are you feeling bad CF, its taking the piss out of rascists.

And no, its not racist, i think its just that its such a historic moment (and such a leap forward for America, that people keep going on about it).

I wasnt a big Obama fan but compared to the compition, particuarly Palin he was definitely a better candidate.

ive tried to make this argument before,people scream racist far too easy.

Id much rather have people screaming racist and being "PC" though, than segregating people because of their age, race, gender, sexuality, creed, whatever.

Stewart Lee did a great skit on this:

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K21e7po1Sro[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: Goddamn! I can never get youtube to work on this site

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49