Jack Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotfox

Ian marshall in the post match thread posed the question what has happened to Jack Hobbs. From Young Player of the Year, to absolute crap in this campaign? In my opinion, I think Sousa has a lot to do with it, he tried to play a system Hobbs wasn't comfortable with, and I think his confidence has been shot to bits. Also he had a very experienced centre half alongside him, with the departure of Brown things have changed he was expected to take over that role, but with the then manager he wasn't experienced enough to deal with the complete change of styles. Bad defending bad goals were inevitable, confidence shattered, and it shows. A period on the bench with more experienced players taking centre stage, will help him confidence will return, but I think it will be a slow process.

Does anyone know if he one of the players who asked for a transfer early in the season?
I don't know, but rumour had it that it was Hobbs and Fryatt that requested the transfer leave, so these two are the most under-performing so is that a supraise?

I think absolute crap is a bit of a stretch. He's had some bad games but I'd put him more as average rather than absolute crap.

I don't think a period on the bench will help his confidence. Davies is an ok player but it seems unlikely we're going to sign him perminantly (no idea about Vitor) so I'd prefer we focus on building up Hobbs' confidence by playing him otherwise Davies will return in January and we'll be stuck with low on confidence Hobbs and Morrison and the need to sign a couple of CBs in January will become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Doesn't help that he is playing on the left hand side, rather than on the right

Just doesn't look comfortable there at all, and has lost all sense of positioning and where to actually pass the ball when he's got it

Last edited:

Just doesn't look comfortable there at all, and has lost all sense of positioning and where to actually pass the ball when he's got it

Astute observation. Brown was a left footer. The best defensive pairs often have a lefty in the ranks. (Walshy springs to mind).

We need to build winning momentum, is more important than nursing hobbs back. So as long as we have better players even if on loan they should be picked ahead of him. I agree that sousa is the likely culprit in this.

What would return his confidence is a reserve team.

Last edited:
Always been a confidence player. When he first joined, he really struggled and this ended up with him playing right-back as Morrison and Tunchev made the centre-back pairing. Never been a great passer either and always preferred the right hand side. He's third on the list for minutes played this year and he's been below average in a poor defence full stop.

It looks pretty much nailed on as well that he didn't see eye to eye with Sousa.

Last edited:
.... I think his confidence has been shot to bits. Also he had a very experienced centre half alongside him, with the departure of Brown things have changed he was expected to take over that role..... .

Anyone know how many games last season did Hobbs play with Brown and how many did he partner at centre back with Morrison?

Send him out on loan to build his playing confidence, and get used to playing again

Nail hit on head there. Personally why not stick Davies on the left if he is meant to be better on the ball and the more experienced player. We all know Hobbs is a quality player when playing on the right

The weak header (like the one for their first last night) is something he's always been prone to, even last season when he was getting rave reviews. We haven't got Browny and Bruno with their amazing(ly lucky) run of last ditch body blocks this season, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669