Jailbraking iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie_d123

Not sure if this is anywhere else so apologies if it is.

Does anyone know if it's worth jailbraking my iPhone 4? What are the pros and cons?
Were does my warranty lie if I do? If I ever needed to sen it in and restored it beforehand would I be covered?

I've done a similar process in Android and it was painless; however, it will void your warranty. Also I'm pretty sure it is illegal as it will allow you to steal apps

/'
Surely if it allows you steal normally paid for apps it is borderline? or is it a case that jailbreaking itself isn't, but then obtaining apps is

P2P software is not illegal, even though it allows you to steal music/videos/software.
Pockets aren't illegal, even though they allow you to nick stuff from shops.
It's the stealing that's illegal, not the tools you use to do it.

From Wikipedia:

"Under the DMCA of 2010, jailbreaking is legal in the United States, although Apple has announced that the practice "can void the warranty." It is also legal in many other countries including those of the EU.[citation needed] However, the jailbreaking process does not include any modification to the hardware, so it can be quickly and easily reversed simply by restoring the operating system through iTunes."

From Wikipedia:"Under the DMCA of 2010, jailbreaking is legal in the United States, although Apple has announced that the practice "can void the warranty." It is also legal in many other countries including those of the EU.[citation needed] However, the jailbreaking process does not include any modification to the hardware, so it can be quickly and easily reversed simply by restoring the operating system through iTunes."
Question answered. Thanks

I'm sure it's not illegal.

It almost certainly is illegal.

P2P software is not illegal, even though it allows you to steal music/videos/software.
Pockets aren't illegal, even though they allow you to nick stuff from shops.
It's the stealing that's illegal, not the tools you use to do it.

P2P software in itself is not illegal because it can be used to do things other than to steal. However if it is installed with an intention to steal, it is then illegal - going equipped to steal, under the Theft Act.

Pockets are not illegal because you can carry things in them other than things that have been stolen. But if you wore a coat with a concealed pocket with the intention to hide stolen goods in it, you could be charged with and convicted of going equipped to steal.

If jailbreaking an iPhone 4 can be done for any reason other than to steal it would not be illegal - unless you do it with the intention of stealing, in which case you could be convicted of going equipped to steal. If there is no other reason to jailbreak the phone (other than to steal), you would be going equipped to steal.

Last edited:
If jailbreaking an iPhone 4 can be done for any reason other than to steal it would not be illegal

I don't think Richie_d123 was suggesting he wanted to jailbreak it to steal stuff.
There are lots of legitimate reasons for doing it, just like there are legitimate reasons for using P2P software and for having pockets that are big enough to slip a packet of peanuts into.

There are lots of legitimate reasons for doing it, just like there are legitimate reasons for using P2P software and for having pockets that are big enough to slip a packet of peanuts into.

And that is explicit in what I wrote. It is only if the intention is to steal that it would become illegal and then it would be illegal despite there being any number of legitimate reasons.

Nope not to steal anything. Mainly so that i can personalise it more

Then it would not be illegal. There *may* be something in the terms and conditions that you *may* have to agree to use the phone that forbids you to take such action - I have no idea whether there is or is not. But there were, to break the term or condition would not be illegal but might be dealt with as a civil matter.

And that is explicit in what I wrote.

So when you said "It almost certainly is illegal." did you assume Richie_d123 wanted to nick stuff?

It is only if the intention is to steal that it would become illegal and then it would be illegal despite there being any number of legitimate reasons.

Pretty much anything can be used for illegal purposes. I'm currently typing this on an illegal computer. Actually it's not illegal at the moment, but it will be if I decide I'm going to use it to beat someone to death :icon_wink

So when you said "It almost certainly is illegal." did you assume Richie_d123 wanted to nick stuff?[

At the time, I did. I now realise I was wrong.

Pretty much anything can be used for illegal purposes. I'm currently typing this on an illegal computer. Actually it's not illegal at the moment, but it will be if I decide I'm going to use it to beat someone to death :icon_wink

Correct

if you wore a coat with a concealed pocket with the intention to hide stolen goods in it, you could be charged with and convicted of going equipped to steal.

Every inner suit jacket pocket?

Seriously?

Every pair of jeans with a key pocket?

I'm struggling to see this as being arguable in any court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566