James Scowcroft

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislcfc18

I know its only paper talk but if its true, as printed in The People then i think £500,000 for Scowy is a generous offer and we should snap it up. Of course we need to get a replacement in before we can let him go.

Having said that we could stick Dublin up front for the time being because he is hopeless as a centre back.

Just found it ...... Norwich

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/tm_ob...=football--canaries-go-for-sco-name_page.html

I agree chrislcfc18, Not only is it 500k in the bag, it's the best part of 25/30k a week off the wage bill. The wage bill alone could make way for a couple of players.

It also says on the link:

'the Foxes have also decided to pay up the contract of former England Under-21 international Trevor Benjamin'

This is also good news. Another huge amount off the wage bill.

I think deep down CL knows who he wants. Maybury obviously IMO is on his way, and I think another shot at this Andy Kirk(scored again on Sat) is on the cards as we will be in a position to offer more or pay in full, as we only offered 50k plus 60k worth of add ons last time.

I think Scowcroft has been a good servant to the club, not been a huge scorer but done his job well. This season started well but for me in the last 10 games his heart hasn't been in it.

If he does go, he has my thanks and best wishes for the future.

Nottingham Fox said:
'the Foxes have also decided to pay up the contract of former England Under-21 international Trevor Benjamin'

It's not a huge amount off the wage bill at all, if we paid up his contract we had to pay him what the contract was worth. So we have saved nothing and lost a player.

He may of accepted 14k a week payoff instead of say £15k because he would get the etra 1k at northampton! That is the only way we would of saved anything.

Babylon said:
Nottingham Fox said:

It's not a huge amount off the wage bill at all, if we paid up his contract we had to pay him what the contract was worth. So we have saved nothing and lost a player.

He may of accepted 14k a week payoff instead of say £15k because he would get the etra 1k at northampton! That is the only way we would of saved anything.

Agreed. :shock: I think that bit in the paper must be wrong. After all if he went and we did not save any money (or so little that we cannot get a replacement) then it would seem pointless. The only way I could see that we would pay up a contract is if we could negotiate a discount that was meaningful enough to go (hopefully a long way) towards a suitable replacement. :wink:

I think CL probably sat down with him and explained that he wasn't in his future plans. They offered him a pay off, which I think would have been hugely different to what we would have paid him should he have stayed keeping the bench warm. CL seems like abit of a wheeler dealer, so whatever he has negotiated with the pay off would surely be in the clubs favour.

I'd be surprised but none the less delighted if we got £500,000 for him what with him only having 6 months left on his contract.I'd be happy with half of that.I know Norwich are desperate for a front man but I doubt there that desperate to pay 1/2 a million for him now.
Whats the odds that Maybury suffers an injury this afternoon.If the deal is as far forward as Hans Christian says it is in The Merc then I'd of thought Maybury wouldn't be playing this afternoon in a Blood and Thunder Derby as well.

What puzzles me is why would Norwich come in for Scowcroft, dont they need a proven goalscorer to help them stay up?. Scowy is hardly a proven goalscorer. Still it would be great business for us.

500,000 seems a bit over the top - great if true but you would think that with only 6 months till his contracts up theyd only be willing to put up 150k or something like that.

scowy is a good player and i think could do well given a chance in the prem playin the right sort of role - they just want a foil for huckerby and i think he could fill that role very well. i like him as a player but hes obviously not what we need right now and it would be great to save 17k a week and get a transfer fee in the bank

chrislcfc18 said:
What puzzles me is why would Norwich come in for Scowcroft, dont they need a proven goalscorer to help them stay up?. Scowy is hardly a proven goalscorer. Still it would be great business for us.

Agreed, but apparently they only have £1.2 million to spend and that will not buy you much. :wink: However I also read that the Crewe striker (Ashton?) is also attracting the Canaries attention. :wink:

If they will give us £500,000 then let us not dissuade them and take the money with a smile and as much speed as possible. :p
thumbsup.gif

I think they are after the type of 'Target Man' type to play alongside Huckerby or MacKenzie.Like Steven says they haven't got a lot of cash to spend,they won't get Ashton no way.

Half a million for Scowy would be great. Levein could then go and get someone he wants upfront, like Kirk or De Vries, plus he'd probaly have enough money for 2/3 more players as well.

The BBC website says we've contacted Hearts about signing De Vries.

I think most managers consider Scowy as a good holding man. You can knock the ball upfront to him & he can hold players off him with his strength till there is support. He's also abit of a bulldozer & good in the air & not bad in other positions. He could be alot better, but it won't happen for him here, he needs a fresh challenge.

I think Worthington & Dowie play his style, he would perhaps be alot better off there, but he's not a 20 goal a season forward.

I think he is a good squad player but not what we are looking for. Good luck to him if he goes to Norwich but I can't see it being £500k. Are they serious? Jeeze if we get that Levy has done some shrewd business!!! Good on him!

Scowie is a bit like Stewart, some say he's good, some say he's total sh!t, the guy who sits in front of me near block E in the Kop slaughters him at every opportunity. With phrases such as "he's supposed to be a striker, and he can't even get a header on target." right after Scowie had just got a header on target.

To me, he's been a good servant to the club, never excelled, but was always pretty steady, really good in the air(there's a difference between being big and being good in the air). Mostly played out of position which was unlucky for him. And he was never gonna be a prolific scorer, more of a Heskey type target man, but gets blamed for not scoring goals.

If we get anything over 300K for him, that is excellent bit of business, anything between 150 to 300K would be good. Hopefully this is paving the way for De Vries or someone who is a target man and can score.

yeh i like scowy - i think hes a good player and has been really professional (with the exception of marginal involvement in the la manga thing) on the pitch and this season has often looked one of the more committed players. hes not prolific but never has been so we cant really complain - thats just his game and it always has been and we signed him. i hope if he moves on he does really well - i think its a pity having connolly hasnt really worked out cos i think scowy is a fantastic strike partner for a small, prolific goal scorer.

I like scowy too and i know he spent alot of time playing out of position, but i still feel he hasn't reached the expected level that he showed at Ipswich. he's been ok, but nowhere near as influencial as i though he would be, especially in this division.

chrislcfc18 said:

I could not agree more. Not quite sure why they would make that move to be honest.

if they want a proven goal scorer theyd have to shell out a lot unless they took a gamble on a lower league player - norwich arent doing too badly but i think a lot of their game revolves around huckerby playing off a target man and they know scowy probably wont get a dozen goals in the next 6 months but hes a safe bet to hold the ball up and giv huckerby knock downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669