Confirmed Transfer Jannik Vestergaard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City is pleased to confirm the signing of defender Jannik Vestergaard from Southampton for an undisclosed fee.

The 29-year-old Danish international has put pen to paper on a contract at King Power Stadium to 2024 and will be eligible to face Wolverhampton Wanderers in Saturday’s Premier League opener on Filbert Way.

He made 32 appearances in all competitions for the Saints during the 2020/21 campaign and played a key role for Denmark at Euro 2020, helping his country to the last four of the competition.

Speaking to LCFC TV, he said: "I’m very happy and I’m really excited to get going. It’s a special Club that has done very well over many years and I think the project is very, very exciting, even from the outside looking in. To be a part of it is a big thing for me.

"I know a couple of the players, and Kasper (Schmeichel) and Ryan (Bertrand) I know very well and get along with off the pitch, so that’s going to be very easy. Just from my first impression of the guys in the dressing room, they’re a good bunch, and I’m sure I’ll settle in very quickly."

Born in Hvidovre, Vestergaard played youth football in his native Denmark before starting his senior career with Hoffenheim in Germany.

The towering central defender then joined Werder Bremen in 2015 but moved to Borussia Mönchengladbach a year later.

He gained UEFA Champions League experience at Mönchengladbach and made over 175 appearances during his time in the Bundesliga, prior to signing for Southampton in July 2018.

His debut for the south coast club came against Burnley on the opening day of the 2018/19 season, and he went on to play a further 78 times for the Saints.

Internationally, he has represented Denmark at various youth levels, and has been capped on 29 occasions for the senior team, featuring in all six games at Euro 2020.

Vestergaard will now link up with his new team-mates ahead of City’s first fixture of the 2021/22 Premier League season at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

Welcome big man.

Glad we got a centre back in. Hope he slots in well.

Still start Amartey tomorrow, but get Jannik ready for next weekend.

Very good on the ball this guy.

Not sure about much else.

I like this. Once little wes is back I reckon he might still get a start alongside wes and cags depending on the opposition.

He can’t be worse than our last Danish CB.

Patience required.

I reckon CB is the most difficult position on the pitch to slot into a new team & look great straight away. Going back through the years I remember plenty being ropey as **** in their first 6-10 games.

All the way back to John O'Neill & including Taggart & Evans. They all went on to be vital players. I'll be tempering any anger for a while if there are **** ups.

Patience required.

I reckon CB is the most difficult position on the pitch to slot into a new team & look great straight away. Going back through the years I remember plenty being ropey as **** in their first 6-10 games.

All the way back to John O'Neill & including Taggart & Evans. They all went on to be vital players. I'll be tempering any anger for a while if there are **** ups.
Looking at the state of £50m Ben White tonight he can't be any worse than that pile of doggy doo doo.

Think we’ve acted decisively and swiftly following the injury, which shows a well organised club with a clear set of targets for each position as Rob Tanner and others often point out.

I think Brendan could play him, Cags and Amartey in a back 5 with Ricky and Bertrand as wing backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566