Jermain Defoe retiring next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a bizarre move for a player who you would think would have plenty of options...

Five year deal on squillions of dollars for a bloke of his age. Couldn't have got that in this country

No brainer, really. He might possibly have made the squad for Brazil, but no way would he have played a single minute

Five year deal on squillions of dollars for a bloke of his age. Couldn't have got that in this country

No brainer, really. He might possibly have made the squad for Brazil, but no way would he have played a single minute

I get that but it still saddens me when it seems someone's only motivation is money and they're not particularly bothered about playing for their country in Brazil...

I assume he's made millions anywhere - he could get a game for most teams in The Prem and would be of interest to lots of European teams - he's the second top scorer in The Europa League...

Suppose it'll allow her to spend more time at home with the Duke of Calabria

Disappointing move from Defoe, and I've always been a bit of a fan of his so shame to see him leaving England.

But as others have, shame to see him effectively giving up a World Cup spot to move to MLS. He'll only get in now if we have quite a few injuries.

I get that but it still saddens me when it seems someone's only motivation is money and they're not particularly bothered about playing for their country in Brazil...

I assume he's made millions anywhere - he could get a game for most teams in The Prem and would be of interest to lots of European teams - he's the second top scorer in The Europa League...

Most people are driven by money, especially when the difference would be large.

Anybody would be mental to turn the Toronto offer down!

He's been offered 10 times what he gets here to do the same job but in an exciting and new place so it's a no brainer. To be honest, I'd be happy to go there for the same money!

He's been offered 10 times what he gets here to do the same job but in an exciting and new place so it's a no brainer. To be honest, I'd be happy to go there for the same money!

They reckon he could earn £90k a week that's nowhere near 10 times what's he's on now? As for Toronto it's not particularly exciting and yes I would be happy to go for that kind of money...

They reckon he could earn £90k a week that's nowhere near 10 times what's he's on now? As for Toronto it's not particularly exciting and yes I would be happy to go for that kind of money...

He wouldn't get a contact of that length on that money over here though. Not 10 times worth though.

I was just going to say. High quality of life in Canada, particularly Toronto.

Perfect setup for us to buy him next year to help keep us up when he realises he's made a terrible mistake & the money doesn't compensate for the football being rubbish & Toronto being the most boring place on Earth (plus ludicrously cold)

Defoe going makes Spurs need of a new striker even more pressing though.

I do feel like it's a shame Defoe is going like I said. Can't see any reason other than the money really - although obviously that's a pretty good motivator.

I was just going to say. High quality of life in Canada, particularly Toronto.

Indeed. The 4th most liveable city in the World according to The Economist Intelligence Unit, and this is what the Telegraph has to say:
"North America’s fourth largest city is arguably its most vibrant, thanks to the waves of young immigrants, who have transformed a rather sober destination into the world’s most cosmopolitan. Few cities are as creative, thanks to talented fashion designers and artists, architects and craftspeople, musicians and chefs. The museums are world class, while the large student population adds to the buzz. "

Indeed. The 4th most liveable city in the World according to The Economist Intelligence Unit, and this is what the Telegraph has to say:
"North America’s fourth largest city is arguably its most vibrant, thanks to the waves of young immigrants, who have transformed a rather sober destination into the world’s most cosmopolitan. Few cities are as creative, thanks to talented fashion designers and artists, architects and craftspeople, musicians and chefs. The museums are world class, while the large student population adds to the buzz. "

Does the Telegrope say anything about the nobbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669