Job hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummindefender

Hello all. Need to get myself a short term summer job, anyone got any decent advice? I can't afford to be fussy so will do pretty much anything (queue obvious jokes)

I remember asking here before, and got nowhere, so I dont really know why I'm doing it again...

When I was looking for a summer job (granted 20+ years ago) I went to where they were recruiting i.e. tourist type areas. Got a job working on the fair in Barry Island. Only lasted a fortnight but point is to think where might be taking on at that time of year. Guess seaside jobs aint in abundance in the Midlands but maybe other tourist type places will be.

Jobcentre? Local job papers?

That's enough of that kind of talk :018:

He's asked us for help, so it's up to us to find a job for him - don't come back on here until you've lined up at least two interviews

I was asking for tips on places to look / who recruit short term

Geeeeez

If you're interested in sports, have you thought about becoming a sports coach on a kid's camp for the summer - standard pay but you get to spend most hours out in the sun, and they usually just last for about 4 weeks. May be a bit late to apply now but I know that Kings Camps employ in Notts and Loughborough; there's bound to be a similar thing in Leicester.

Try the scream pubs in Leicester, that's what I did during the summer a few years back. A lot of their staff are students and they tend to go home for the summer, so they should have one or two vacancies.

Wouldn't he need an up to date CRB check first?

It depends...

If you aren't ever left alone with children you don't have to have one... However an employer will obviously be happier with one.

Check around the local schools with lots of redevelopment planned, you might be able to get a position as a groundsmen for the summer holidays.

Also think of what sectors have their busy period this time of year... and go for them.

When I applied for my CRB to teach it was relatively quick, maybe a little under/over 2 weeks. However, I'm not sure whether more people will apply in the summer time (Graduates, people looking for Youth Camp work etc) and whether this'd have any bearing at all on the return time.

When I applied for my CRB to teach it was relatively quick, maybe a little under/over 2 weeks. However, I'm not sure whether more people will apply in the summer time (Graduates, people looking for Youth Camp work etc) and whether this'd have any bearing at all on the return time.

My first one took 2 weeks, my second took over 4, they were at roughly the same time of year I think. I guess it just depends, but they advise to leave 6 weeks.

My first one took 2 weeks, my second took over 4, they were at roughly the same time of year I think. I guess it just depends, but they advise to leave 6 weeks.

I checked online on the progress of one today at work and it has taken 3 months to get to stage 4. From stage 4 it is normally less than 2 weeks to arrive back.
3 months seems about average for one at the moment. I know the person concerned already has 2 other CRBs in place so I'm not expecting it to throw up any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46