John Elsom

Status
Not open for further replies.

leicsfoxes1

Anyone remember the time when Elsom, our obese former Chairman, called us 'Manchester City' during a press conference?

Was a dreadful gaffe but hilarious none the less.

No but my dad remembers when Elsom gave O'Neil the cold shoulder at a press conference

I remember seeing him in the McDonalds in West Bridgford before an away game at Forest many years ago. He musn't have thought much of their catering that he was about to receive I guess.

I remember seeing him in the McDonalds in West Bridgford before an away game at Forest many years ago. He musn't have thought much of their catering that he was about to receive I guess.

He probably just wanted something to keep him going until the food came out in the Boardroom!

Wasn't he in Star Wars?

Edit: yep:

jabbarotj.jpg

I still feel sorry for John Elsom. I used to know his son and met him a few times. He's a genuinely nice bloke and was Leicester through and through. Shame he fecked up as chairman but he was only doing what a 'good' chairman is supposed to do, backing his manager to the hilt. Sadly it turned out he didn't have a clue financially and we were fecked! He was hounded out of Leicester with such venom and spite that after a lifelong association he eventually turned his back on the city and the club. Quite sad all round, really.

I still feel sorry for John Elsom. I used to know his son and met him a few times. He's a genuinely nice bloke and was Leicester through and through. Shame he fecked up as chairman but he was only doing what a 'good' chairman is supposed to do, backing his manager to the hilt. Sadly it turned out he didn't have a clue financially and we were fecked! He was hounded out of Leicester with such venom and spite that after a lifelong association he eventually turned his back on the city and the club. Quite sad all round, really.
Yep, sounds like Leicester fans. And yet despite making some of the worst decisions in the history of not just this but any football club, Mandaric was afforded a standing ovation on his departure. It works for players too. Some players will get ripped to bits with every misplaced pass (Gallagher is a good current example), while others are cheered and have their names chanted regardless of how useless (eg Solano last season). Because a large proportion of so-called Leicester fans are idiots.

Yep, sounds like Leicester fans. And yet despite making some of the worst decisions in the history of not just this but any football club, Mandaric was afforded a standing ovation on his departure. It works for players too. Some players will get ripped to bits with every misplaced pass (Gallagher is a good current example), while others are cheered and have their names chanted regardless of how useless (eg Solano last season). Because a large proportion of so-called Leicester fans are idiots.

Thats the game we love i guess:icon_roll

I did not know him but I met him once and thought he was a very nice man.

It is difficult to blame him for appointing Peter Taylor. Most people in football had a very high opinion of Taylor. He had a superb Under 21 record, spoke about the game brilliantly and when he was appointed some pundits saw him as being the next England manager. I remember being pleased with the appointment rather than the underwhelming Joe Kinnear and the little known David Moyes - how I wish we had gone with Moyes.

I do blame Elsom for sticking with Taylor for too long. Taylor's buys were a real waste of money and he was not a strong enough character to deal with experienced professionals let alone the talented but occasionally temperamental Collymore

Whatever Milan's faults few people have accused him of being too loyal to managers.

Football has a brutal win or lose simplicity. It is easy to forget that you can fail at football and still be a good man.

AFAIK he isn't dead - just gone to Grimsby, which may explain the confusion.

ps I don't remember any "lifelong association" - IIRC he came onto the board in the early 1980s with Tom Smeaton and Martin George - when the real lifers Len Shipman, Tom Bloor, Sid Needham and Alf Pallett were prised out of the boardroom as we took a nosedive following the McLintock year.

I just remember his company Page & Moy being part of that monumental rip-off in that nightmare bus trip to Madrid in our UEFA days, and the club adding insult to the general misery by offering vouchers for the club shop as compensation. Still rumoured to be a couple of fans stuck in the service station outside Zaragoza 13 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669