Keith Weller

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first memory of playing yous lot was in either 68 or 69. It was the year you were beaten in the Cup Final.
Len Glover got the only goal of the game in the 3rd or 4th round in front of 30000 at the Den on a sunny winters afternoon.

There's a possibility Keith played for us that day unless it was just before his time.

That's when it was proper football, not like today. :icon_lol:

It seems to be fashionable to knock the Birch well I am always out of fashion. I remember him as a brave, unselfish and hardworking player. He was better in midfield than as a striker since he rarely gave the ball away. He was an ever present and valuable member of perhaps the best team Leicester has had. How can you compare him with a player who cannot get in what is really the Third Division.
To compare him with more recent players I dont think he was as good as Lennon and Issett but better than Robbie Savage. He was certainly a world better than any player we have had in the last few years.
If you want trash then De Fries, Carl Cort and Nathan Blake fit the bill not someone who helped get us to FA Cup semifinals and the top half of the top division.

Well all I can remember is all the times he managed to blast the ball over the top of the stadium from inside the 6 yard line. I only really remember him as a striker.

happy memories.....

I believe that Weller actually made his league debut at Filbert Street, as sub for Spurs.

Didn't Steve Whitworth also play for England in that era?

I think there was an England-Scotland game, when all 4 of Weller, Worthington, Whitworth & Shilton played.

I don't think it's possible to compare Weller & Worthington because they had different roles - both very talented.

I haven't a great deal of time for Birchenall in his current role but he was once upon a time part of a very effective strike force with Mick Jones (at Sheffield United) and later at Leicester converted into a more than decent left midfield player. He was no footballing genius but always gave of his very best.

I think there was an England-Scotland game, when all 4 of Weller, Worthington, Whitworth & Shilton played.

That's a story I've heard from several sources, but it's definitely not true.

Shilton, Weller, Worthington and David Nish played together in two England games. This was though after Nish had moved to Derby.

Whitworth's England career did not begin until after both Weller and Worthington had gained their last cap.

I don't think it's possible to compare Weller & Worthington because they had different roles - both very talented.

I haven't a great deal of time for Birchenall in his current role but he was once upon a time part of a very effective strike force with Mick Jones (at Sheffield United) and later at Leicester converted into a more than decent left midfield player. He was no footballing genius but always gave of his very best.
I might have know you'd reappear after a defeat :icon_bigg

I might have know you'd reappear after a defeat :icon_bigg

Nice to be noticed Melton.

You will also notice that I have refrained from commenting on victories or as you mention "a defeat".

I prefer to focus on times past when we were involved in what in my twisted mind regards as real football matches in proper leagues.

However, i realise that this is a contentious, highly unpopular and individual view. I hope that we will get out of this division this season and return to a crap league but one where most of the teams are at least recognisable.

i first started going down in 1979,when jock wallace was in charge.

remember a player called dave buchanan who was more hyped up than lineker,being so young at the time, what happened to him

remember a player called dave buchanan who was more hyped up than lineker,being so young at the time, what happened to him

Didn't he play for Sunderland for some seasons (??) then down the leagues.

Quite sharp - but very small striker. Youngest City goalscorer?

You are right both he and Andy Peake were originally seen as better prospects than Lineker - but 'insiders' say that Lineker in spite of falling over a great deal had the greatest potential.

You must be about the same age as me.

According to 'Fossils and Foxes' he dropped into non-league before signing for Sunderland. He eventually retired from playing at 28.

Last edited:
Well all I can remember is all the times he managed to blast the ball over the top of the stadium from inside the 6 yard line. I only really remember him as a striker.

His biggest weakness as a striker was actually striking; which is a pretty big weakness. Though remember this was against the Arsenal;s and Man Us not against the teams we have played recently. While at Chelsea he did get to play for England Under 23 which was obviously a high level. However, he was never quite up to the standard of strikers like Geoff Hurst, Peter Osgood or Frankie Wortho.
I do think that some fans want to think that he was a bad player - well I am sorry but if he was playing today he would be a good but not outstanding premiership player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00
7Hull City00
8Leeds Utd00