Keith Weller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think that some fans want to think that he was a bad player - well I am sorry but if he was playing today he would be a good but not outstanding premiership player.

I'm sorry, I can't believe that. If he was that's make him an England player now - and I couldn't see that.

I'm sorry, I can't believe that. If he was that's make him an England player now - and I couldn't see that.

I said that he was not as good as Geoff Hurst, Peter Osgood or Frankie Wortho. Similarly he was not in the same world as Michael Owen or Wayne Rooney. However, with all due respect to one of my favourite players, he was better than Paul Dickov or Ian Marshall when they were premiership players for Leicester. This is not to mention Akinbaye or Dean Sturridge.
I say again that for some reason people want to believe he was a bad player. Dave Sexton, an excellent Chelsea manager and Jimmy Bloomfield, surely one of Leicester's best ever managers, both thought him worth £100,000 which was a huge transfer fee then. At Chelsea he played for England Under 23. He was in the top division for season after season both as a striker and in my opinion his better position as a midfielder. How can he have been a bad player.

60 replies to a thread started by an 'oppo' fan, great response fellas it's been good reading your opinions of Keith and the comparisons to some of your other players, i'll just leave you with this.

I was about 10 or 11 years of age when we signed Keith Weller from Spurs reserves. At the time the team used to train in the local park (Deptford Park) which was literally a couple of hundred yards the other side of the railway tracks from the old Den. I used to go down to the park to watch them train whenever i could, i even used to hop the wag to get a glimpse of my idols.

KEITH WELLER whether wearing the badge of Millwall, Chelsea, Leicester or England was and will always be a GOD to me.

There was nothing he could not do with a football. He could dribble, he could pass, he could shoot, he could spin the ball on one finger (party trick), he took our free kicks, he took our long throw ins which although never went as far as Ian Hutchinsons (a Chelsea player of that time and sadly also now deceased) went far enough into the oppositions box as to put them under pressure AND TO THIS DAY i've never seen ANY PLAYER take an inswinging corner with as much curve on it as Keith, in fact i remember him scoring direct from a corner at the Den in a game against one of our nearest rivals Crystal Palace when he inspired us to a 5-1 victory and i'm sure he did it on more than one occasion against oppositions various.

I feel priviledged to have seen Keith Weller in a Millwall shirt, i've told my kids about him and i now have 2 grandkids who's ears i can also burn with tales of the 'great' Keith Weller and i'm pleased that some of you, those that were fortunate enough to have seen him play tights and all, hold him in similar esteem, at least it serves to prove that i am not looking back as i've somtimes been accused of doing, on those days through rose tinted spectacles.

Many thanks lads and good luck!

I said that he was not as good as Geoff Hurst, Peter Osgood or Frankie Wortho. Similarly he was not in the same world as Michael Owen or Wayne Rooney. However, with all due respect to one of my favourite players, he was better than Paul Dickov or Ian Marshall when they were premiership players for Leicester. This is not to mention Akinbaye or Dean Sturridge.
I say again that for some reason people want to believe he was a bad player. Dave Sexton, an excellent Chelsea manager and Jimmy Bloomfield, surely one of Leicester's best ever managers, both thought him worth £100,000 which was a huge transfer fee then. At Chelsea he played for England Under 23. He was in the top division for season after season both as a striker and in my opinion his better position as a midfielder. How can he have been a bad player.

I'm just giving my view - he'd be a championship player nowadays. Prem is full of foreign strikers far better than him. I'm only going on my recollections and as I said I remember him as a hard working striker who humped the ball over the bar from good positions far too often, maybe he was a great midfielder I just don't remember it. blonde hair and balls in the stands is my memory - like the fact he is still with the city though. Like him more now than I did then.

Many thanks lads and good luck!

Good luck to you too. As others have said, it's nice to get 'freindly' opposition on here rather than the trolls.

When I say 'good luck', I don't mean on Saturday 14th March when I hope your world collapses around you and leaves you in deepest despair :icon_wink

I'm just giving my view - he'd be a championship player nowadays. Prem is full of foreign strikers far better than him. I'm only going on my recollections and as I said I remember him as a hard working striker who humped the ball over the bar from good positions far too often, maybe he was a great midfielder I just don't remember it. blonde hair and balls in the stands is my memory - like the fact he is still with the city though. Like him more now than I did then.

I think there is a place for a hard working left sided midfield players in most squads. He was certainly more effective at Leicester in that role and we have to remember that he fitted in there partly because we had some better quality strikers.

I'd agree with you that he'd be a championship level player in skill level terms these days - but he had loads of energy and such players are always valuable.

It's not really fair to compare any of Jimmy Bloomfield's team with the Premier teams of today - the game has developed so much in the intervening years, some good development, some less so.

All I know is that it was terrific to watch that team play and compete with some of the best teams in Division one at that time in an atmosphere that we couldnt migrate to the Walkers. Of course age increases the rose tint in my glasses, but they were heady days to see players like Weller, Birch, Worthington, Sammels, Glover etc in my hometown team - fantastic. I think 9th was the best we did but it was seminal for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00
7Hull City00