Kent CC match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good work by County this morning, Kent from 429-3 to 459 all out. Although I'm worried what it means about the conditions rather than good play by our bowlers!

Good start by Jefferson and Boyce, but all going pear-shaped now, 133/4 needing 310 to avoid the follow-on

Another game, another first innings batting collapse and few bonus points. 5 down.

We'll be bottom of the table sometime tonight or tomorrow morning. Following on at least we've made them bat again, but only 20odd ahead with 4 wickets left. Good runs for Taylor and White but nothing else.

I appreciate expectations were low but considering the end to the season we had and the consistency of our bowling attack I thought we could be pushing to top half. Unfortunately the batting is as fragile as ever and in the last few games the bowlers haven't taken the wickets. Break for Twenty20 and hopefully Naik and Henderson to win us a few games in the second half of the summer.

over a 100 in front now could it be the start of a fight back

Whitticase just been on the radio saying he thinks 185 would be a big score for them to chase

Whitticase just been on the radio saying he thinks 185 would be a big score for them to chase

We'll be skittled in the first half hour!

Naik is really impressive at the moment though, a real all-rounder. And with White showing some real potential this year they are very handy players to have in the side - and White has had some stick on this forum in the past.

Last edited:
added 55 this morning proved to be nowhere near enough, now firmly rooted to the bottom of the table.

I was there on Tuesday and the manner of the 1st innings collapse was outrageous. I live in Kent so I know a little about their side and they hardly have a menacing bowling attack. Matt Coles and R Joseph were pretty much all over the place but went largely unpunished and wickets were just thrown away.

White, Taylor and Naik emerge with some credit with the bat. Boyce had a rare period of actually looking like an opening bat in the second innings, but short lived.

I'm a huge fan of Nixon. He is probably my favourite cricketer of his generation, but at the moment we are picking him AND Tom New and neither is really contributing with the bat. Nixon will tell you himself that he's not a number three and to use 2 places in the side up for two keepers, one of which will keep (to a mediocre standard) and both will bat, contributing maybe 20 between them, is not good enough. On the issue of a number 3 bat, I'd love to see Cobb given a run in the longer form of the game. Ackerman is beginning to look a big loss though.

I totally agree about the wicketkeeper situation.

It should be one from Nixon, New or even Dixey. Not two of them.

Nico gets my vote - not in the best of form - but he has just returned from injury and I'm sure he has the character and ability to get amongst the runs once again.

Anyway, I would hope and assume that Nico is (like last season) selected as 'keeper for the Twenty20

I'm a huge fan of Nixon. He is probably my favourite cricketer of his generation, but at the moment we are picking him AND Tom New and neither is really contributing with the bat. Nixon will tell you himself that he's not a number three and to use 2 places in the side up for two keepers, one of which will keep (to a mediocre standard) and both will bat, contributing maybe 20 between them, is not good enough. On the issue of a number 3 bat, I'd love to see Cobb given a run in the longer form of the game. Ackerman is beginning to look a big loss though.

No one can argue with Nixon's longetivity as a fine and competitive player - but I suspected at the end of last season that this season would be one too far. As for Ackerman - well it was entirely predictable that he would be a massive loss. It was never going to be likely for a county like Leicestershire to be able to buy a replacement for that class of batsman.

No one can argue with Nixon's longetivity as a fine and competitive player - but I suspected at the end of last season that this season would be one too far. As for Ackerman - well it was entirely predictable that he would be a massive loss. It was never going to be likely for a county like Leicestershire to be able to buy a replacement for that class of batsman.

That is, of course, true.

The impression I get from speaking to a few people connected to the club are that the club was very eager to ditch all kolpak etc type players and to satisfy the demands for young players and make the extra money. It does make sense. I just see the number three spot as a serious weakness and do wonder about the wisdom of letting Ackerman go.

Still, onwards and upwards. I think with the return of Buck, we have a good competitive bowling attack, with good variety. We ought to perform well in t20 this year... we just lack a solid batsmen as we are prone to a middle order collapse.

I totally agree about the wicketkeeper situation.

It should be one from Nixon, New or even Dixey. Not two of them.

Nico gets my vote - not in the best of form - but he has just returned from injury and I'm sure he has the character and ability to get amongst the runs once again.

Very interesting situation - it probably makes sense for Nixon to keep in the T20 partly because we aren't the most athletic fielding side and whilst Nixon appears super fit for his age- he isn't any longer an out- fielder who can be that flexibly deployed.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think that Tom New is a good enough cricketer to play regular first team county cricket (he's had plenty of time and opportunities to improve) - and Dixey looks like another decent second team player. I thought that Joel Pope was the most talented keeper - but he didn't grab his opportunity at Grace Road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting situation - it probably makes sense for Nixon to keep in the T20 partly because we aren't the most athletic fielding side and whilst Nixon appears super fit for his age- he isn't any longer an out- fielder who can be that flexibly deployed.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think that Tom New is a good enough cricketer to play regular first team county cricket (he's had plenty of time and opportunities to improve) - and Dixey looks like another decent second team player. I thought that Joel Pope was the most talented keeper - but he didn't grab his opportunity at Grace Road.

Pope's glove work was always highly rated but I don't think he would have ever cut it as a batsman. Although, he never really had that much of a chance at Grace Road, confined only to appearances in tour matches and meaningless Pro40 fixtures.

I noticed at the start of the season that he was included in the Unicorns squad but has been playing second fiddle to former Worcestershire 'keeper Josh Knappett ever since.

If Nixon is happy to keep in T20, he should be doing so.

I'm no longer certain he warrants selection in any form of cricket when not keeping. Time for Cobb to get the chance in every form of the game.

Cobb has maybe found his niche in one day cricket as a pinch hitting opener who can bowl a bit. This could also see him proving very useful in Twenty20 cricket.

Since his superb near 150 innings at Lords 3 years ago, as of yet he has not progressed as well as hoped on the first class stage. Sometimes though, it's forgotten that he's still only 20 years of age so time is definitely on his side.

I can see the thinking that its a lot of responsibility for a 20 year old to go and bat at three, but for me, if you're good enough, you're old enough. You correctly point out that Cobb also brings something in terms of an extra bowler if needed, as well as being a good fielder and will only improve in the longer form of the game given an opportunity to bat.

When Nixon was making runs and keeping wicket, he was a sure-fire inclusion... now, when doing either one of those, he's worth his place, but with him not scoring at the moment and the definite need for a bit 'more' at the top of the order, I can't see a better solution that turning to Cobb as number three. Or opening Cobb and Jefferson, with Boyce at three. I also think McDonald could probably do the job if required.

Interesting points to talk over anyway.

Speaking of Gurney, is he still with the club?

Yep. Gurney's still with us.

Can't see him getting another deal again at the end of the season - he's 25 this year and cannot be classed as a youngster any more.

Pope's glove work was always highly rated but I don't think he would have ever cut it as a batsman. Although, he never really had that much of a chance at Grace Road, confined only to appearances in tour matches and meaningless Pro40 fixtures.

I noticed at the start of the season that he was included in the Unicorns squad but has been playing second fiddle to former Worcestershire 'keeper Josh Knappett ever since.

Yes - although Pope is quite a shot maker - but rash, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669