Kettering Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you don't count the times you watch City......:icon_roll

Lee. Nick's got the right idea, him and his missus have set there date in 2010 at the end of May but it's on a Friday, so the play-offs are ok and he can go on his honeymoon on the Tuesday!

Last edited:
What the fcuk are you doing on here on your wedding night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, while she's gassing with the in-laws I just quickly nipped on here to check the result.
And with a result like 1-4 she might get it tonight an all!
:icon_bigg

thought we did alright, just need to tighten up the defence, which shouldn't be a problem, plenty of training time between now and the MK Dons game. adams, fryatt, morrison and gradel impressed me, howard was shit, like a person who knew he was playing his last game for us, and didn't care enough to try and give a good last impression.

Was at the game and was really positive about:

Nicky Adams - a proper signing for a change - good feet, good positional sense, good finisher, really not frightened of the ball. a good shout from Pearson et al.
Gradel - too good for league one IMO, wants the ball ALL the time and keeps his head up for a pass. The dilemma will be fitting him and Nicky Adams into the same side.
James Chambers - looked solid, fit and up for it when he came on - interestingly was given the captains armband. Will do well with either Adams or Gradel down the right.
Wesolowski & Oakley barely lost a tackle all day, but aren't a progressive enough partnership for me. Still work to do for Pearson here, with Clemence not the answer IMO
Campbell & Fryatt - demanded the ball to feet (but will they be able to play that way in league one and not get kicked off the pitch?). Fryatt looks about a stone lighter, and quicker off the mark. Campbell actually celebrated his goal. a good sign.
Hobbs & Morrison - one of these guys will play plenty of games alongside Tunchev - they have got the raw attributes - but need some positional and tactical direction which Tunchev should hopefully provide. Morrisson barely lost a header all day. although everyone went missing for their goal.

Not impressed with;
Gilbert - he's got nothing - constantly lost the ball, didn't try to get forward, no good in the air.
Lloyd Dyer - incredibly bad touch, didn't get a ball in all game - this bloke isn't a player.
Howard & Hayles - no pace, no imagination, didn't contribute anything during their time on the pitch. If Howard can go for a £1m back to the championship then happy days.
Henderson - we need a new goalkeeper - this guy won't inspire confidence in a young defence.

Undecided on:
Ashley Chambers - where does he want to play, is he good enough. he's never really shown anything.
Mattock - great going forward, but if there were scouts there after a DEFENDER we won't get 3m for him as he looked shaky against a bog standard non league winger. Having to try really hard to close him down near the by-line on occasions.

Nicky Adams - a proper signing for a change - good feet, good positional sense, good finisher, really not frightened of the ball. a good shout from Pearson et al.
Gradel - too good for league one IMO, wants the ball ALL the time and keeps his head up for a pass. The dilemma will be fitting him and Nicky Adams into the same side.
James Chambers - looked solid, fit and up for it when he came on - interestingly was given the captains armband. Will do well with either Adams or Gradel down the right.
Wesolowski & Oakley barely lost a tackle all day, but aren't a progressive enough partnership for me. Still work to do for Pearson here, with Clemence not the answer IMO
Campbell & Fryatt - demanded the ball to feet (but will they be able to play that way in league one and not get kicked off the pitch?). Fryatt looks about a stone lighter, and quicker off the mark. Campbell actually celebrated his goal. a good sign.
Hobbs & Morrison - one of these guys will play plenty of games alongside Tunchev - they have got the raw attributes - but need some positional and tactical direction which Tunchev should hopefully provide. Morrisson barely lost a header all day. although everyone went missing for their goal.

Not impressed with;
Gilbert - he's got nothing - constantly lost the ball, didn't try to get forward, no good in the air.
Lloyd Dyer - incredibly bad touch, didn't get a ball in all game - this bloke isn't a player.
Howard & Hayles - no pace, no imagination, didn't contribute anything during their time on the pitch. If Howard can go for a £1m back to the championship then happy days.
Henderson - we need a new goalkeeper - this guy won't inspire confidence in a young defence.

Undecided on:
Ashley Chambers - where does he want to play, is he good enough. he's never really shown anything.
Mattock - great going forward, but if there were scouts there after a DEFENDER we won't get 3m for him as he looked shaky against a bog standard non league winger. Having to try really hard to close him down near the by-line on occasions.

I'm not going to challenge your opinion as I wasn't at the game, but his goal scoring record last season was, for a winger, pretty impressive.

I'm not going to challenge your opinion as I wasn't at the game, but his goal scoring record last season was, for a winger, pretty impressive.

Thanks for an interesting review from sparky. At least one of the wing positions looks strong from your review with 2 options from Adams & Gradel. As Beighton implies (quoted above), we might all have expected better from Dyer, but we'll get an idea pretty quickly once the season starts whether he is a player or not. With regards to Beighton's comment, the winger we signed from Northants a couple of seasons ago came with similarly good form in that league with his club but turned out to be a very severe dud. Let's hope we've got someone better. We'll see.

As for (sparkey's) comment on Chambers - this was a very good signing (from Watford I seem to remember) I've long thought that it's a shame he has been somewhat in the wilderness here. Utilised properly by his manager he could be one of the clubs key/best players this season. I hope he gets the right back spot therefore, not the left back spot (I'm not in favour of playing people out of position) particularly with the panning Gilbert got in Sparks review. This means Mattock should play left back - and, if sold, replaced by a new left back signing, rather than switching Chambers. I recognise that Mattocks review was similarly mixed/poor but this would be the stronger combination - Chambers right, Mattock left I believe.

Last edited:
We def need a keeper, Hendo not good enough and as for Logan, fat git, needs to drop a couple of stone. Howard bye, close the door on your way out and thanks for FA. Impressed with Adams and young Max, think Hobbs will be solid. Glad I went, love the old grounds close to the pitch. Good to see Pearson is very vocal.

Not impressed with;

Undecided on:

Is it possible that Adams could be a central midfielder alongside Weso and Oakley, i think he played there for Bury. That would solve a lot of the problems, but from what i have read, both Gradel and Adams will need to be accomodated in the side.

I think Dyer will be ok, he did enough last year at MK to suggest he will be capable at this level, if not then porter is the other left wing option. Am actually quite happy with the midfield area, but am worried about the completely new defence and the 'proven' front line we have.

To Sparky & other attenders...
Mercury/blue army review says that Kishishev came on for Wesolowski at half time - is that right? How did he do? It also says that King came on for Oakes (just 15 minutes left to play) - did he get the opportunity to show much in that short space of time?

kishishev looked fit and has an international class first touch.

unfortunately his speed of thought and his speed over 5 yards is his downfall for me (same for Weso - he doesn't spot gaps or danger early). He gets outmanouevred by decent players, which is why a team with him at centre mid will struggle.
Keep him as reserve right back and to bed tunchev in, but he shouldn't be a starter.

Andy king is another one who looks like he's been in the gym since Pearson was drafted in. I like him but he needs a run in the side alongside Oakley sweeping up behind him if we don't get any other options.

Interestingly, Mattock and King have no qualms about pinging the ball right across the pitch to Gradel - whch must have been a key tactic in the youth team, because i've not seen such decent crossfield balls from a city team for about 5 years. Gradel's got the touch to pull them down as well.

Does make me wonder why Gradel wasn't in the team last season,he seems better than anything we had last season.I guess thats Holloway though

Does make me wonder why Gradel wasn't in the team last season,he seems better than anything we had last season.I guess thats Holloway though

Because we had much better options there, obviously

There was Huuuume, for example - plus that great signing we made from Man. City. What an impact that lad made.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669