Landline

Status
Not open for further replies.

pds

I am currently considering having a landline installed at my house (mainly as it is apparently needed to get multi room for Sky).

I live in a rented property and have never had a landline before, however there is a BT socket already in the house.

Is it literally as simple as just contacting BT sign up and have them activate this line, buy a phone and plug it in?

Apologies if this is a bit of a silly question but you live and learn. :)

I am currently considering having a landline installed at my house (mainly as it is apparently needed to get multi room for Sky).

I live in a rented property and have never had a landline before, however there is a BT socket already in the house.

Is it literally as simple as just contacting BT sign up and have them activate this line, buy a phone and plug it in?

Pretty much yes. They will normally charge a connection fee though which around £100

Pretty much yes. They will normally charge a connection fee though which around £100

:icon_eek:

Once connected I presume they just send you a letter confirming the phone number etc?

Also once connected how do I go about connecting my existing Sky box to the phoneline?

:icon_eek:

Once connected I presume they just send you a letter confirming the phone number etc?

Also once connected how do I go about connecting my existing Sky box to the phoneline?

BT have offers on all the time. You could get it connected for £29 at the minute instead of £127 odd. Just tell them you have seen their offer on the products and services page.

It does say it ended on 30th June, however it still appears under their 'current offers' header.

Depending on where your phone socket it, they may or may not have to enter the house. When I did mine about 13 months ago, they could do everything from outside. They gave me my number over the phone when I set it up.

Just get a double adapter for the socket, one for your phone and one for your sky box.

Last edited:
BT have offers on all the time. You could get it connected for £29 at the minute instead of £127 odd. Just tell them you have seen their offer on the products and services page.

It does say it ended on 30th June, however it still appears under their 'current offers' header.

Depending on where your phone socket it, they may or may not have to enter the house. When I did mine about 13 months ago, they could do everything from outside. They gave me my number over the phone when I set it up.

Just get a double adapter for the socket, one for your phone and one for your sky box.

I forgot to mention that the BT socket is on the landing at the top of the stairs and my Sky box is downstairs in the living room, is there a way to do it wirelessly?

If you sky box is nowhere near your socket you can buy a wireless socket extension reasonably cheaply.

I forgot to mention that the BT socket is on the landing at the top of the stairs and my Sky box is downstairs in the living room, is there a way to do it wirelessly?

You can get a wireless phone socket for about £30-£35.

However, and it's something I am thinking of taking up with them, the last few Sky marketing stands I have seen have all had A4 signs on them stating that no phone line is required, so they may have amended their t&c's.

You can get a wireless phone socket for about £30-£35.

However, and it's something I am thinking of taking up with them, the last few Sky marketing stands I have seen have all had A4 signs on them stating that no phone line is required, so they may have amended their t&c's.

I've been talking to them on their online help thing. I currently have Sky without a landline which is fine, but if I want to upgrade to multi-room then a phone line is needed.

I've been talking to them on their online help thing. I currently have Sky without a landline which is fine, but if I want to upgrade to multi-room then a phone line is needed.

To ensure you don't give the extra viewing card to a friend so they get Sky for £10.

To ensure you don't give the extra viewing card to a friend so they get Sky for £10.

I presume so, it's a pain in the arse considering I don't really have a need for a landline other than this as me and the girlfriend both have plenty of minutes on our mobile contracts.

If you go back to Sky and say that having a phone line put in would be too much extra to pay, you might find that they will bear the cost. Remember reading this on AV Forums. 'Fraid can't be arsed to trawl through to find it again. Worth a punt.

If you go back to Sky and say that having a phone line put in would be too much extra to pay, you might find that they will bear the cost. Remember reading this on AV Forums. 'Fraid can't be arsed to trawl through to find it again. Worth a punt.

Hes only adding multiroom, they wont bear the cost of £15 a month line rental plus connection charges for an increase in their return from PDS of £10

Hes only adding multiroom, they wont bear the cost of £15 a month line rental plus connection charges for an increase in their return from PDS of £10
I meant the connection fee. Just a suggestion. If the fee is £29 as mentioned, they may give him first 3 months free. Defo wont get it if he doesnt ask. Although in fairness I thought he was after the full package, so to speak.

Take an 18 month contract out to get rid of the connection charge if you need it.

dont take up any other package other than the unlimited weekend plan as that is the cheapest line rental option.

set up a dd to save £4.50 payment processing fee on each quaters bill and also register the account at bt.com, click on e billing and have £3.75 credited to your bill each quarter so bt dont have to send paper bills out to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566