Landlord info - renting my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

We are currently in the process of letting out our house and I cannot find any easy to understand list of things that are legally required before I can do so.

I understand I need to have a full gas check, can anyone recommend anyone decent and cheap to do this?

I assume I will need smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, but how many per room/house?

Do I need to have the plumbing checked etc, or is that just a good idea?

Is there any good insurance that will cover us if say the boiler packs in, or the water mains burst, as I don't have much money behind me to afford a couple of grand at the drop of a hat.

We are renting it out through neccessity rather than to make money, so I understand I'm not in the ideal financial situation.

You will need an electrical certificate as well.

Ive just posted on you facebook post as well.

Are you letting through an agent? Surely they should be telling you all of this?

OK cool cheers. I've just had a HIP done as we were trying to sell it, does that cover any of those two?

Just phoned boilercare, seem the most reasonable so far.

I don't think the HIP does either of the gas or electrical saftey checks, I may be wrong as its not something im directly involved in but Im pretty sure it doesn't.

Are you letting through an agent? Surely they should be telling you all of this?

I was hoping so, but they seem reluctant to give much advice as I don't think they are legally qualified.

I'm going to phone them in a bit. I'm not sure if I need to legally let my mortgage provider know, or what effect it will have if I do.

I was hoping so, but they seem reluctant to give much advice as I don't think they are legally qualified.

I'm going to phone them in a bit. I'm not sure if I need to legally let my mortgage provider know, or what effect it will have if I do.

You do. It will most likely stipulate in your mortgage that you will live in the house for a certain percentage of the year. Most likely they will make you switch to a buy to let mortgage on less favourable terms.

Personally I wouldnt tell them.

You do. It will most likely stipulate in your mortgage that you will live in the house for a certain percentage of the year. Most likely they will make you switch to a buy to let mortgage on less favourable terms.

Spot on, buy to let mortgages are very different to normal mortgages (similar with house insurances as well, try Direct Line for landlord insurance).

Worth noting that if you have any where north of 85-90% LRV then you ain't gonna get a new mortgage at the minutes. without paying them a sizeable deposit as well.

He hasnt thought this through at all has he ? :icon_lol:

I was hoping so, but they seem reluctant to give much advice as I don't think they are legally qualified.....

TBH in that case I would be reluctant to use them as my agent, no matter how cheap.

He's moving back home in a fortnight. He's been on them there peverse sado masochist sites instead of doing his reasearch. Whats he going to do now :102:

:icon_lol: Human centipede?

Last edited:
I have no idea what you are alluding to. :icon_bigg
Just for the record I wasn't offering, but also for the record I spose being at the front wouldn't be too bad.

Yeah it's with the Cov. They can offer me a Consent to let mortgage at an extra 1% fee which just seems like a rip off.

Spot on, buy to let mortgages are very different to normal mortgages (similar with house insurances as well, try Direct Line for landlord insurance).

Worth noting that if you have any where north of 85-90% LRV then you ain't gonna get a new mortgage at the minutes. without paying them a sizeable deposit as well.

It is a 100% interest only jobby, so yeah, shit.

He hasnt thought this through at all has he ? :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: We have been trying to sell it for the last 6 months and have been let down a bit by the last estate agent (they didn't bother to market it) so now are in a bit more of a rush. Mainly because I had no hope we would let it out and now this new lettings agent has an interested couple and are showing them round tomorrow!

It does seem a tad under researched :icon_bigg

It is. Vastly, so now I am trying to sort it!

TBH in that case I would be reluctant to use them as my agent, no matter how cheap.

It is Martin & Co, apparantly the biggest letters in England, and they aren't cheap!

It is a 100% interest only jobby, so yeah, shit.

Surely this puts a stop to the whole idea? unless you don't bother telling them and take a punt?

It is Martin & Co, apparantly the biggest letters in England, and they aren't cheap!

Never heard of them personally, I would want the agent to be on my side and doesn't seem that way if they won't even give you basic advice, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46