Laptop Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

M17TT C

Hi everyone, not really too sure what the problem I have is so not sure if you will be able to help but here goes anyway. When I'm playing music through my laptop using iTunes, sometimes it will begin to crackle and sound very distourted (sp) but if I pause it then play it again after no more than a couple of seconds it will play clear again. That is until I for example open a website and then the crackling will return again!
For that I am thinking that it may be something down to memory, but I have recently upgraded my memory from 256MB to 764MB and never had this problem before I upgraded.
Any info or advice would be a great help.
Thanks very much.

The obvious thing to do first would be to check that the memory is firmly installed.

i think boc means connected. memory is very sensitive, so removing it and re-fitting is often the cure. even try swapping the memory modules over if that doesn't work.

did you upgrade it yourself or did you get it done at a 'Proffsional' (i use the term losely) establishment?

check its connection to the mainboard. Although I would doubt thats the issue. Seems a strange one, do you have issues using other apps? Like Windows Media Player

the sound connectors could have been knocked fitting the memory, which is why i asked who fitted it. if a shop, take it back. if not, please post your model.

As in properly connected or do I have to install any software?

As in securely in place with no loose connection and not able to vibrate to loosen the connection. No software is usually need to add memory.

With a laptop where space is tight, other parts may have been affected whilst fitting the new memory. Is there a loose connection to the speakers/sound card or anything else?

Feriol's suggestion is a good one - if somebody else did fit the memory and the problem only started then, you should certainly take it back to them and get them to fix it.

He fitted the memory himself, I remeber him asking for advice to do it.
It's a strange problem, would be surprised if it is related to memory.

There is some kind of electrical interference build up. What I do not know. ;)

There is some kind of electrical interference build up. What I do not know. ;)

Didn't use an earthing strap and there is some kind of static build-iup?

My guess is it's the actual media player. On one of my laptops WMP is rubbish whereas Winamp is superb. The pause button wouldn't have any effect on the hardware surely

He fitted the memory himself, ...

Sound card in one part of the case, speakers in another? - connection disturbed whilst taking the case apart?

Yeah I did fit it myself, and yes, it wasn't the smoothest installation I must say! Maybe I have damaged the memory but wouldn't that surely effect other applications??
Thanks for the advice and I will try removing the new memory stick and put it back in again as now I know how to do it.
TBH Melton, I was thinking it might just be iTunes as my laptop is not effected in any other way than this, but I never use any other media players to play music. So I may try re-installing iTunes if the problem continues.
Cheers again guys!!

EDIT : Boc, all I had to remove was one small screw and panel to access the memory and not had to remove the whole case, although as I said, I was quite 'forceful' when installing it so may of disturbed something else.

Last edited:
Sound card in one part of the case, speakers in another? - connection disturbed whilst taking the case apart?

seems the most likeliest suggestion so far and when he's hitting pause/play the vibration is just enough to remake the connection properly until touching off the laptop again to launch another application disturbs it again.

If the memory itself was shagged it just wouldn't work, full stop, it wouldn't get tempermental playing back audio only.

What type of music are you playing on there?

seems the most likeliest suggestion so far and when he's hitting pause/play the vibration is just enough to remake the connection properly until touching off the laptop again to launch another application disturbs it again.

Do you not think you are getting a bit over imaginative there? I mean I barely touch the keypad to make it pause as it is touch-sensitive and putting a glass of water down on my desk would probably cause much more vibration than that!! Also I have never encountered this problem whilst watching videos or dvds.

What type of music are you playing on there?

Not that I think it makes much difference, a wide range :

1 Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly 384
2 The Kooks 110
3 sway 81
4 Arctic Monkeys 80
5 The Pigeon Detectives 68
5 Kasabian 68
7 Jurassic 5 62
8 Plan B 55
9 The Fratellis 52
10 Roots Manuva 47
11 Braintax 46
12 Aspects 43
13 Jehst 39
14 The Streets 38
15 Rage Against the Machine 37
15 Maximo Park 37
17 Skinnyman 35
18 DJ Yoda 34
19 Oasis 31
19 The Rakes 31
19 The Prodigy 31
22 The Libertines 29
23 Red Hot Chili Peppers 28
23 Nirvana 28
25 Kings of Leon 24
26 Phi-Life Cypher 22
27 Babyshambles 21
27 Yungun 21
29 Audio Bullys 20
29 Ugly Duckling 20
31 Ash 19
32 Lee "Scratch" Perry 18
32 The View 18
34 Life 17
34 Sublime 17
36 Coldplay 16
36 Thom Yorke 16
36 Dilated Peoples 16
39 We Are Scientists 15
40 Cypress Hill 14
40 Razorlight 14
40 Fun Lovin' Criminals 14
40 Nouvelle Vague 14
40 Jack Johnson 14
45 The Frames 13
45 Kosheen 13
45 Finley Quaye 13
45 Bloc Party 13
45 Dirty Pretty Things 13
45 Bob Dylan 13

I have never encountered this problem whilst watching videos or dvds.

This then points back to the software being at the root of the problem. Can you re-install your iTunes player?

In any case he is only trying to help you...

And for which I am truly grateful, apologies if you think otherwise!!

Who asked you anyway!! Its dark now, thought you would be lurking in the bushes at Fosse Park by now!! :biggrin: :081:

Do you not think you are getting a bit over imaginative there? I mean I barely touch the keypad to make it pause as it is touch-sensitive and putting a glass of water down on my desk would probably cause much more vibration than that!! Also I have never encountered this problem whilst watching videos or dvds.

Although I've now given it far more thought than I wish that I had, no I don't think I was getting over imaginative, just working with the info that you've given us.
If there was a loose connection positioned beneath the point on your laptop where you are pressing to play/pause it would seem a perfectly reasonable suggestion to make. I have absolutely no idea how hamfisted you are.
Perhaps it's just dirty, have you tried giving it a good wash?
Bucket of luke warm water & a few caps full of domestos, give it a good dunking in there & she'll be grand.

Bob Dylan

There's your problem, it's an intermittent array dereferencing non-Valid streaming desynchronisation over-rated Yank media invalidation error.
Nothing fixes that.

Perhaps it's just dirty, have you tried giving it a good wash?
Bucket of luke warm water & a few caps full of domestos, give it a good dunking in there & she'll be grand.

I did think this as well, it is over 3 years old now. Didn't have any Domestos so had to use some Cillit Bang instead which is just as good. It seems nice and shinny now and looks good as new, but wont turn on anymore, maybe it is still a little bit wet inside. Any ideas how to dry this quicker??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669