Laptop freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate Fox

Hope someone can help!

My laptop is freezing when I switch it on - it gets to a blue screen with the windows XP logo and then stops... any ideas? Its a Vaio VGN-N11M

:icon_sad:

Hope someone can help!

My laptop is freezing when I switch it on - it gets to a blue screen with the windows XP logo and then stops... any ideas? Its a Vaio VGN-N11M

makes a change from overheating

Hope someone can help!

Power up the laptop, then keep pressing the F8 key at the top of the keyboard, see does it give you the option to start up in Safe Mode

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

yes

Power up the laptop, then keep pressing the F8 key at the top of the keyboard, see does it give you the option to start up in Safe Mode

tried it - still doesnt load past the screen with the XP logo. I've called a repair place and they seem to think its a driver problem anyway so I'll have it looked at. Thanks to those that tried to help though.

:)

tried it - still doesnt load past the screen with the XP logo.

Did you get the option to start in Safe Mode? It can take a few attempts to get it, you need to be pressing F8 as soon as you powerup.

I've called a repair place and they seem to think its a driver problem anyway so I'll have it looked at.

:icon_conf hmmmmmm if in doubt blame 'drivers', not many will question your opinion

Did you get the option to start in Safe Mode? It can take a few attempts to get it, you need to be pressing F8 as soon as you powerup.

:icon_conf hmmmmmm if in doubt blame 'drivers', not many will question your opinion

I got it to that point yeah, but I get a screen that says "safe mode" in each corner, it then goes to the same blue screen with the windows xp logo on it and no further...

So he's probably talking gash then with the drivers line :(

Last edited:
I got it to that point yeah, but I get a screen that says "safe mode" in each corner, it then goes to the same blue screen with the windows xp logo on it and no further...

In my considered opinion... XP is ****ed :icon_wink

You'll need to reinstall Windows, which means that any files on your laptop, pictures, MP3s etc, will be lost. So they will need to be backed up first, which won't be straightforward if you can't get XP to load. It is quite possible to do though, if you know what you're doing.

If the shop tell you that there's no way of saving those files, take your laptop somewhere else that does know what they're doing.

So he's probably talking gash then with the drivers line :(

Without a doubt, no drivers are loaded in Safe mode.

In my considered opinion... XP is ****ed :icon_wink

You'll need to reinstall Windows, which means that any files on your laptop, pictures, MP3s etc, will be lost. So they will need to be backed up first, which won't be straightforward if you can't get XP to load. It is quite possible to do though, if you know what you're doing.

If the shop tell you that there's no way of saving those files, take your laptop somewhere else that does know what they're doing.

Without a doubt, no drivers are loaded in Safe mode.

If the place she is taking it is Mays or PC world she may as well just walk in, hand them some cash and throw the laptop under a bus.

If the place she is taking it is Mays or PC world she may as well just walk in, hand them some cash and throw the laptop under a bus.

it was neither, it was one in Hinckley that was recommended to me but now I am not so sure.... if anyone can recommend a place I'd be grateful

just down from St Georges Retail Park?

They are garbage, they just reinstall everything and tell you they couldn't save anything.

To be honest I've never used them for problems like this, just for new parts and general advice, they've never oversold me anything that I didn't need, which seemed to be what the others were doing.

Cate, do you have access to another PC?

If so, get a USB enclosure for your hard drive. You can then plug this in to the other PC and salvage your documents, pics, MP3s etc. It won't really matter if the computer shop does reinstall everything, at least you'll have it backed up.

Cate, do you have access to another PC?

If so, get a USB enclosure for your hard drive. You can then plug this in to the other PC and salvage your documents, pics, MP3s etc. It won't really matter if the computer shop does reinstall everything, at least you'll have it backed up.

It'd be a lot easier, and cheaper, to just boot the laptop off of a Linux disc and copy off any files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566