Laptop Problem -Strange -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Fox

Hey IT guys/girls

i need your urgent help,

I have had a laptop for 6 months no problems with it, sunday night i used it, it was fine, i switched it off.

Monday evening - i switched the laptop on, it didnt switch on, i plugged the charger in, the LED showed that charger was plugged in, press on it didnt switch no, no movement no motion of laptop whatsoever, completly dead.

i did a battery pull and only on charger still dead.

i took it to the store they said it will take 5-6 weeks to fix i have warrenty but i cannot give it for so long as it has my work on and i have deadlines before xmas.

any ideas on how i can fix it,

some suggested different problems such as :

Internal power source problem.
static electronic problem.

i need it fixed asap.

Thank you in advance.

If you want to have it done under warranty (and not pay for it), you have already been told it is going to take 5-6 week. Unless you have paid more for a warranty with a faster turnaround, you are unlikely to be able to do much about that.

You could take it somewhere else and pay to have it fixed. That might be quicker but it might not be if you need parts which are not easy to source - the warranty agents might have better access to the spares for the computers you deal with than a local repair shop would.

As for your deadlines, presumably with such essential data you have been backing-up regularly - in that case you will be able to borrow a computer and .... Oh! You haven't been backing up. Oh dear!

You could buy a USB enclosure for the hard drive, (cheap enough from ebay or maybe a bit more from your local pc store). Remove the hard drive from the laptop, insert it into the enclosure. Plug it into another pc/laptop (neighbour, friend, work ??) and copy the contents of your my documents or whatever files you need onto this other pc. You can then return the hard drive to the laptop and send it off for repair with your documents safely on another pc for you to work on.

You could buy a USB enclosure for the hard drive, (cheap enough from ebay or maybe a bit more from your local pc store). Remove the hard drive from the laptop, insert it into the enclosure.

That would probably void the warranty.

That would probably void the warranty.

HDDs on most laptops are just held in place with a couple of screws behind a panel that, itself, is only held on with a couple of screws. It's unlikely that anyone would be any the wiser.

Thanks guys for the help

I have backed up my HD so thats ok, the problem that has occured is a motherboard Fault, i knew i shouldn't have bought a Packard Bell. Tonight i take it back to the store and pick it up in about 4 weeks.

not happy but not much i can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669