Post Match Leicester 1 Manchester City 0 Community Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supporting City in person has been a largely closed shop for the last few years. There are 30k City fans that can go regularly and are used to it. I've seen very little change in the people who sit around me at the KP for many years.

There has been a substantial turnaround this summer in season ticket holders. Lots haven't renewed and many 'new' fans will be at the KP on Saturday. There will be many brand new members.

The Wolves game finally sold out yesterday after going on sale to any members and then season ticket holder guests. That isn't typical I don't think.

I've long wished for some way of introducing younger (16-25 mainly) fans to City. The average age of a regular is visibly much older now than it was when I was a young fan. I'm hoping that the new fans are younger, more noisy and a bit disruptive. Football benefits from this.

The downside of this is pissed up wankers tend to be part of this too. If this is being replicated elsewhere, we might be about to see a bit of a return of disorder at football.

Supporting City in person has been a largely closed shop for the last few years. There are 30k City fans that can go regularly and are used to it. I've seen very little change in the people who sit around me at the KP for many years.

There has been a substantial turnaround this summer in season ticket holders. Lots haven't renewed and many 'new' fans will be at the KP on Saturday. There will be many brand new members.

The Wolves game finally sold out yesterday after going on sale to any members and then season ticket holder guests. That isn't typical I don't think.

I've long wished for some way of introducing younger (16-25 mainly) fans to City. The average age of a regular is visibly much older now than it was when I was a young fan. I'm hoping that the new fans are younger, more noisy and a bit disruptive. Football benefits from this.

The downside of this is pissed up wankers tend to be part of this too. If this is being replicated elsewhere, we might be about to see a bit of a return of disorder at football.
I don't think it's just pissed up anymore, there's a huge drug culture with a lot of them as well. Queuing for the toilets yesterday, all of the stalls were in unusually high demand with some being quite open to each other about what they were planning to do.

I saw this type of behaviour at the Villareal game and no doubt I'll see it at the Wolves game. It isn't new to be honest. As long as I've been going there have always been scumbags and thick ****s. I mean, the season before last, the couple sat in front of me would arrive for the first half about 20 minutes into it stinking of booze. Leave after about 10 minutes and then arrive for the second half at about 75 minutes pissed and shouting obscenities. It was a pub for them, not a football stadium. The football just happened to be on while they got ****ed.

It really does put me off from going sometimes.

I saw this type of behaviour at the Villareal game and no doubt I'll see it at the Wolves game. It isn't new to be honest. As long as I've been going there have always been scumbags and thick ****s. I mean, the season before last, the couple sat in front of me would arrive for the first half about 20 minutes into it stinking of booze. Leave after about 10 minutes and then arrive for the second half at about 75 minutes pissed and shouting obscenities. It was a pub for them, not a football stadium. The football just happened to be on while they got ****ed.

This sounds awful. :icon mad:

Completely agree. This is a problem that has attached itself to football and I have no idea how to eradicate it.

I just can't believe that Homer has a partner.

Society is collapsing.
I don't think it is though. I think that's the rhetoric of the press but every single generation has said the same thing. There has always been ****s and there always will be. A football stadium and its surrounding areas are much safer, much less racist places to be now than they were 40 years ago. I don't think society is collapsing at all but I think we are observing it more closely. Whether that's a good thing or not is a different discussion.

Football crowds were riddled with racists bastards in the seventies and eighties, our club included - and pissed up ****s who just came for the violence and shouting at the opposition. I remember many a time standing in the Kop being amazed at large groups of people who didn’t watch any of the game at all, but stood watching and baiting the opposition fans

Todays football is a million times better, which is why things like this stand out so much more

I don't think it is though. I think that's the rhetoric of the press but every single generation has said the same thing. There has always been ****s and there always will be. A football stadium and its surrounding areas are much safer, much less racist places to be now than they were 40 years ago. I don't think society is collapsing at all but I think we are observing it more closely. Whether that's a good thing or not is a different discussion.
You should spend a weekend in central Pennsylvania like I just did! Opinions may change.

Great to see the club being proactive about it. End of the day our club is pretty highly regarded by opposition fans, ex pros etc etc and fans like this are a stain on the club and reflect badly on it's image. I'm not a fan of taking the knee because I feel that it's not really doing a great deal a part from stirring up more trouble. To really kick racism out, individual clubs need to impose punishments on incidents like this.

Our response to this behaviour needs to be as clear and progressive as other elements of the way the club is run.
Banning offendors from supporting the club in any capacity, clear comms on what is and isnt acceptable in the ground and some behavioural economics can help sort things out.
interesting points made about the fact that there will be new fans in the ground now, potentially a mix of younger fans (18-30) starved of rights of passage experiences, desperate for new experiences and families wanting to introduce kids to the game. I think football in general needs to think about the experience they put on and how they want people to enjoy the day.
i think generally we are still in the mode of requiring people to gun pints if they are drinking, minimal eating to go with it, no trust placed in people, nothing else to do around the game. I think cricket, rugby operate in the same society and do a better and more inclusive job with women, kids, different ethnicities managing to coexist with plentiful alcohol and very very little in the way of issues. they have bands, loads of good food on sale, fun experiences to attract wider families along with men. And what happens, the behaviour and perception is better despite more alcohol consumption, more chances for racism (think england cricket) and a much more violent spectacle at the rugby.
Football would have to embrace higher investment in matchday experience and lower pricing to deliver the same...
Also think that bringing womens fixtures in to grounds on mens game days can also help change things for the better.

I don't think it's just pissed up anymore, there's a huge drug culture with a lot of them as well. Queuing for the toilets yesterday, all of the stalls were in unusually high demand with some being quite open to each other about what they were planning to do.
Group of about 8 on the tube were shouting foul mouth abuse at full volume. One was still holding a half full pint , another lit a fag up and I saw one of them snort coke off the back of his hand in full view. Woman sitting near looked absolutely petrified at the intimidating atmosphere . Hopefully these are “ general sale “ twats and not representative of LCFC.

Great to see the club being proactive about it. End of the day our club is pretty highly regarded by opposition fans, ex pros etc etc and fans like this are a stain on the club and reflect badly on it's image. I'm not a fan of taking the knee because I feel that it's not really doing a great deal a part from stirring up more trouble. To really kick racism out, individual clubs need to impose punishments on incidents like this.
It's good that it's stirring up more trouble. It makes it easier to spot the racist twats. There were a couple of hundred who outed themselves by booing near me on Saturday.

Group of about 8 on the tube were shouting foul mouth abuse at full volume. One was still holding a half full pint , another lit a fag up and I saw one of them snort coke off the back of his hand in full view. Woman sitting near looked absolutely petrified at the intimidating atmosphere . Hopefully these are “ general sale “ twats and not representative of LCFC.
Presumably the ****wit who was doing the same at the FA cup final and was actually in the Sun bragging about it has been jailed? Or have we let that slide as well?

It's good that it's stirring up more trouble. It makes it easier to spot the racist twats. There were a couple of hundred who outed themselves by booing near me on Saturday.
Agreed. I felt that it had become a bit toothless but now that they are continuing to take the knee this season after the amount of troglodytes complaining about it, it's become good again. Here's hoping they wind themselves up into a tizzy every match until they burst a blood vessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566