Post Match Leicester 2 Barnsley 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squeaky bum towards the end but really nice to see them hold possession in the corners towards the end. Kasper livid for their goal - totally unmarked, not even any power on the header. De Laet made some aweful passes but tried to make up for it. Morgan his usual solid self and made some good runs. Nuge looked exhausted but determined. Vardy a bit clumsy this time out. Overall a determined outing and a deserved 3 points. Onwards and upwards :)

Well, that was nervy, but glad we got the result in the end.

Fair play to Kasper, sounds like he made up for the 2 points he cost us last week.

We won and I'm very pleased, some of the football we've been playing recently really make me thankful I don't have to watch a team like Barnsley. Negative, horrible and unambitious, made all the more annoying by the fact that they do actually have some good players like the no.42, (Digby or McCourt?) Mellis and O'Grady.

We couldn't quite break them down in the first half but eventually we dragged them around enough to open it up for Dyer to play in Nugent for a lovely goal. Well done to Vardy for winning the penalty, he's very good at losing his man and moving off the shoulder and around the back of defenders and it causes a lot of confusion.

I actually agree that Hammond and James could have come on earlier, Hammond in particular looks able to soak up pressure and is a bit more aggressive and positive when going after the ball.

Schmeichel - 7 - Several good saves and some very inventive distribution as always. Almost creating a goal with a superb ball in the first half. Possibly could have dealt with the cross for their goal.

De Laet - 6 - He can be very frustrating when he joins the attack. Took up some very good positions but just couldn't get good balls into the box. Reasonable at the back.

Morgan - 7 - Strong against O'Grady, looked composed with balls flying into the box.

Moore - 6 - Should have been picking up Scotland for the goal and a little hoofy at times.

Koncheskey - 7 - He's in good form, linked up well with Drinkwater and Dyer on the left.

Knockaert - 6 - He was quiet today. There was very limited space for any of our forwards to operate in, sometimes Knockaert can open up teams and other times he goes missing a little. He's playing an interesting role at the minute, he seems to have been given a lot of freedom to leave his position.

Drinkwater - 8 - Covered a lot of ground for us today and used the ball intelligently.

King - 7 - Same as Drinkwater, I just wish he was a little more positive when faced with a loose ball.

Dyer - 7 - Good assist for Nuge and got in behind on a couple of occasions. Always supporting his teammates in defensive situations.

Nugent - 8 - Two splendid finishes including an inch perfect penalty. Some lovely layoffs and balls into Vardy and the midfielders.

Vardy - 6 - He looked frustrated today, he couldn't get the better of Butland or M'Voto. Tireless closing down though and it was some smart movement to win the penalty.

James, Hammond and Taylor-Fletcher all did a good job of stemming the flow of balls into the box and brought some calm to the last 10 minutes.

Dreadful game against a dreadful team. Neraly made a right feck up of what should have been a walkover. Changes should have been made much earlier. Schmeichel saved the game

Three points is what matters

onwards and upwards

Having seen the replay he was right to stay on his line or perhaps should have taken a step forward to narrow the angle .

All of that said De Laet made no challenge at all.

I'm verging towards eating humble pie when it comes to NP. Yet again today, he made good tactical changes that affected the game for the better for us. This is something I've never seen from him before this season. Maybe he's seeing the game differently from the stands, maybe he's reflected and changed his approach.

Only one player was poor today, De Laet. I actually think he should be dropped now as we've seen several dire right back performances from him. Aside from him, we're defensively excellent. If we had to lose one centre back to injury right now, I'd prefer it to be Morgan than Moore, that's how highly I rate his presence in the side. He's doing himself proud. A word in favour of Konchesky too. He appeared to be on his way a month ago but has returned to the fold and been consistently excellent.

We didn't play well in the final third today. Neither striker made good decisions at times. But we were easily too good for a poor Barnsley side. I also think we should have made changes sooner than we did. We looked leggy in midfield and needed reinforcements a good 15-20 mins before they arrived.

Two tough away games next. For me, this is where we'll find out whether we're genuine contenders for automatic promotion or not. I'd like to see some changes in personnel for these games too. Hammond and Wasilewski in to toughen us up. I've never really trusted NP to make the right calls for this sort of fixture, but maybe he will now. I certainly can't argue with his ability to deliver results so far this season.

I'm verging towards eating humble pie when it comes to NP. Yet again today, he made good tactical changes that affected the game for the better for us. This is something I've never seen from him before this season. Maybe he's seeing the game differently from the stands, maybe he's reflected and changed his approach.

Only one player was poor today, De Laet. I actually think he should be dropped now as we've seen several dire right back performances from him. Aside from him, we're defensively excellent. If we had to lose one centre back to injury right now, I'd prefer it to be Morgan than Moore, that's how highly I rate his presence in the side. He's doing himself proud. A word in favour of Konchesky too. He appeared to be on his way a month ago but has returned to the fold and been consistently excellent.

We didn't play well in the final third today. Neither striker made good decisions at times. But we were easily too good for a poor Barnsley side. I also think we should have made changes sooner than we did. We looked leggy in midfield and needed reinforcements a good 15-20 mins before they arrived.

Two tough away games next. For me, this is where we'll find out whether we're genuine contenders for automatic promotion or not. I'd like to see some changes in personnel for these games too. Hammond and Wasilewski in to toughen us up. I've never really trusted NP to make the right calls for this sort of fixture, but maybe he will now. I certainly can't argue with his ability to deliver results so far this season.
I like it!

Hull will come unstuck soon.I wonder if Nige can dance like Brucey.We may never find out.How is life down in the relegation zone Riddles?

Hull will come unstuck soon.I wonder if Nige can dance like Brucey.We may never find out.How is life down in the relegation zone Riddles?
Why do you ask Rhydal about that? He wouldn't know

Perhaps cafe thinks our Welsh dresser supports Crystal Palace.

Anyone else see the Footy focus love-in on today on Dull.
Brilliant wasn't it?What is it about Hull that has everyone smiling and laughing?Proud to be associated with a club that celebrates it"s few golden moments and not take itself too seriously.

Got the 3 points which is all that matters really and seeing as it has been a bit of a banana skin for us in the past, good win overall.

Sounded pretty nervy at the end though after conceding what sounded like a sloppy goal from poor marking. It's good that we can hold on though as in the past we have buckled when conceding a goal like today.

Would have been nice for a 4 or 5 goal haul but 3 points is 3 points and with being able to hold on to wins like this, coming from behind like we have done previously this year and Nuge getting off the mark from open play, it makes for positive times for us and looking nice with the top 7 breaking away slightly with a 5 point gap and us right in the mix of it.

Tea lady out!

Yes I agree about the toughening up bit. I thought that about the Blackpool fixture too though we were only fractions away from victory. In my limited opinion I'd opt for a 4-3-3 for the next two with the flexibility of changing to a 4-5-1. Is that too negative considering our start?

Yes I agree about the toughening up bit. I thought that about the Blackpool fixture too though we were only fractions away from victory. In my limited opinion I'd opt for a 4-3-3 for the next two with the flexibility of changing to a 4-5-1. Is that too negative considering our start?
I wouldn't change anything. If we'd stayed switched on for their goal then we'd have seen the game out easily.

In the first half I thought our defence and midfield were excellent. As usual we were not dangerous enough on goal. The Barnsley goalkeeper was kept busy but was never really tested. In the second half we seemed to be heading for a comfortable win until the defence became fragile. On the other hand during the five minutes added on we played some brilliant possession football which must have been very frustrating for their manager.

Superficial observers of the bench are finding it a bit dull. Nigel is keeping his distance in the stands and Craig is on the touchline as far away from the dugout as possible. Few people have noticed that this change coincides with the arrival of Marcin Wasilewski. A dark cloud has settled over the bench as Marcin surveys the match with glowering intensity. Even the charismatic Mike Stowell was keeping quiet as if trying to avoid notice. Marcin Wasilewski has to be the scariest looking Leicester player ever.

Superficial observers of the bench are finding it a bit dull. Nigel is keeping his distance in the stands and Craig is on the touchline as far away from the dugout as possible. Few people have noticed that this change coincides with the arrival of Marcin Wasilewski. A dark cloud has settled over the bench as Marcin surveys the match with glowering intensity. Even the charismatic Mike Stowell was keeping quiet as if trying to avoid notice. Marcin Wasilewski has to be the scariest looking Leicester player ever.

Balls to typing the bit about the game David, I reckons most folk are doing as I do and skip straight to your review of the dugout goings on. A treat as always.

Is there some new in joke that I'm missing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669