Post Match Leicester City 3 Crystal Palace 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took me 30 mins to find the goals online and was on youtube, its silly in this modern age football cant get internet highlights up fast like they can on rolling news.

Should have checked here first as someone posted the clip :)

All 3 goals look well taken, I think gallys 1st goal better than 2nd tho, the 2nd seems a bit of a whack and hope whilst the first just looked better quality. The first goal build up as well looks something that never would have happened under sven as we always seemed to over passed it with no end product. So good to see we played more direct now.

I only listened to the commentary, but it was more even than the scoreline suggests - but then again, many games are. When we lost 3-0 at home to Millwall, that was 'closer' than the scoreline suggested. Maybe on another day, Millwall's efforts could have hit the bar, and a manager wouldn't have lost his job.

At the end of the day, results count for everything. 3-0 at home is about as good as you could wish for with a team that had lost as many as won this year.

As my manager said, scorelines don't tell the story

We started with a 4-4-2. Trusting Wellens and King to handle being outnumbered in midfield was brave but it paid off. Both did well and when they were caught short, both Gallagher and Dyer covered. The better midfields in the league will exploit this though if we continue to play this way so I don't see this as a viable long term plan.

In the first half, both the wide men were poor in possession and struggled to influence the game. We also seemed vulnerable down the left as Konchesky was not playing well. It worked better on the right as Gallagher drifted and Peltier offered good width. Konchesky also improved markedly in the second half.

Both central defenders did well throughout. Nugent battled admirably all game, in contrast to Beckford. Kasper was excellent as ever.

We started poorly in the second half and our goal was against the run of play. Then immediately following our goal (well taken from Beckford after good approach play from Konchesky and Wellens), Palace pressed us hard and looked likely to get an equaliser.

This was ended by the fine strike from Gallagher and then he followed it up with an even better one. He's been an outsider this season so far but this hopefully announced a return of the confident and influential Gallagher that could be important to us.

As for Beckford, the fans haven't taken to him at all. Every time he gave the ball away and didn't challenge strongly, there were tuts and moans. But everyone needs to accept his style. He's a goalscorer and if he delivers a goal every other game, he's making his contribution. I don't see any reason why he cannot do this.

It was good to see a manager prowling on the touchline, supporting, encouraging and occasionally bollocking his players. The players seemed to react well to this too. As I've said, he was brave in his selection and trusted his players to deliver and they did. This was not a great performance or game though. I think that the overriding thing NP would of taken from yesterday would be that he's got a lot of work to do quickly if we're going to challenge for promotion.

We started with a 4-4-2. Trusting Wellens and King to handle being outnumbered in midfield was brave but it paid off. Both did well and when they were caught short, both Gallagher and Dyer covered. The better midfields in the league will exploit this though if we continue to play this way so I don't see this as a viable long term plan.

Pearson basically said in the post match interview that he went with that midfield because he knows the four of them and he knew what he'd get.

I'd expect him to introduce Johnson, Fernandes and Danns into, maybe even as wide men. (Danns certainly, there are four better CMs ahead of him)

I go abroad for a few weeks immediately after a 3-0 loss against a poor side and retrun immediately before a 3-0 win against a good side. A definite boost to the downer of returning to England in November.

To suggest that long range goals are always lucky is news to me. That Bobby Charlton must have been the luckiest player ever.

On the general run of play we deserved to win the game. The back four did well and it was the best game I have seen St Ledger have for us. I thought Nugent did well up front but despite his goal Beckford was poor.

Midfield selection is difficult. If Nigel picks Gally and Dyer then we are going to struggle physically in midfield. They bring other qualities. While I enjoy watching Dyer it seems to me that Gally has improved in the last twelve months and is now the better player. If Gally is selected and he certainly deserves to after those goals it may be that Johnson or Fernandes might be a better pick over Dyer.

It was good to see a manager prowling on the touchline, supporting, encouraging and occasionally bollocking his players. The players seemed to react well to this too. As I've said, he was brave in his selection and trusted his players to deliver and they did.

I really enjoyed reading your very accurate and eloquent post, with which I fully agree. Be prepared to be taken to task for your use of the word 'brave' !

where? I would expect a link given the bold yes.

nothing was on iplayer last night (regional news not available).
sky sports website
bbc sports website
foxes player.

I watched them on foxesplayer yesterday evening, after the match. They were also uploaded onto youtube very quickly

Nugent battled admirably all game, in contrast to Beckford.

I agree with a lot of your post, but I disagree with this bit.

Personally I thought Beckford did battle admirably and I really couldn't faul his performance in terms of effort. I think the problem was a lack of confidence.

If anything he tried a little too hard. He was poor on the ball, especially first half, but definitely not for lack of trying, I thought he was noticeably making an extra effort for getting into positions etc. and it stood him in good stead as he was great at creating chances for himself yesterday: hi got into 4 or 5 clear goalscoring opportunities throughout the game (for a striker to get into that many good positions throughout a game does not happen by luck alone).

The problem was more imo him lacking in confidence, whenever he was on the ball he just seemed to feel to pressurised to do something with it and snatched at opportunities, there was one particular occasion I remember when he tried to run past a defender but just sort of ran into him and was easily tackled and of course the two one-on-ones with Speroni as well.

Hopefully, the goal will do him a lot of good and I think if he applies himself as well as he did yesterday he will score plenty of goals once he gets into a little run and gets his confidence back.

I would echo that about Beckford. He very much seemed to lack confidence in front of goal, which is odd because his goal was a well taken first touch off a Wellens pass. There were a couple of occasions one-on-one with the goalie when you sensed that Nugent would have buried it, but Beckford just did a 'Flappy Fryatt' instead.

Also like Fryatt, Beckford is not very strong and is easily beaten and muscled off the ball in challenges with centre backs.

The only way round this is probably for him to do a lot more running to find spaces between defenders, rather than be stood next to them waiting for the ball to be delivered to his feet.

I find it interesting that some people think Konchesky was outstanding yesterday, whilst others have stated that he had a shocker of a first half. I wonder what big Nige thought!

As for Beckford, I think people are going to have to accept that he won't chase, tackle and throw himself into 50-50s. The plus side is, he may well end the season with 15+ goals to his name.

I watched them on foxesplayer yesterday evening, after the match. They were also uploaded onto youtube very quickly

youtube isnt official ;)

when I logged into foxesplayer the last match highlights available were the leeds game.

today I see the video listed along with the press conference but when I click it, it asks me to pay when I have already paid. If I click on my account it shows subscription active. Not happy with the site at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670