Confirmed Transfer Leicester City to Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still maintain if we only had our current squad it would be good enough to finish above at least the bottom six in the PL.

I don't mean to poo poo your celebrations. Not really I don't.

But there is a massive difference between a largely young squad over-flowing with confidence because they're winning every week and one that have to scrape points here and there and take some beatings. When we started losing last season, many of our current 'star's went missing big time and their form collapsed.

I think it's highly unlikely that we'll just breeze into the Premier League with the same confidence and it won't be hit by getting occasional whippings. Honestly, it's as though we've not been in the top league for a decade or something for how people are under-estimating it.

Re: Leicester City promoted to the Premier League

ege6ete4.jpg
Who is the little guy in the middle?

I don't mean to poo poo your celebrations. Not really I don't.

But there is a massive difference between a largely young squad over-flowing with confidence because they're winning every week and one that have to scrape points here and there and take some beatings. When we started losing last season, many of our current 'star's went missing big time and their form collapsed.

I think it's highly unlikely that we'll just breeze into the Premier League with the same confidence and it won't be hit by getting occasional whippings. Honestly, it's as though we've not been in the top league for a decade or something for how people are under-estimating it.

In all seriousness then, what do you think our approach to the season should be?

Just listening to the phone in (for once) why is Stringer such an argumentative prick?

Honestly, he thinks it makes him look informed with his once word interuptions when someone is saying something perfectly justified.

Absolute bell end.

In all seriousness then, what do you think our approach to the season should be?

Thanks for asking.

We need to build the best quality group possible within the budget available. If we need to be harsh to a Hammond or a Dyer and ditch them for someone better, we do it. If you're skint, you have to make do. But we're not.

Absolutely, we keep the bulk of this group together but we supplement them with an additional keeper with some pedigree, 2-3 defenders, 2 midfielders (one holding, one creative) and a major striker signing.

As I've said elsewhere, look at any promoted team and a year later their side is almost unrecognisable. Several of our current squad will not cope at the higher level. Personally, I don't think De Laet is good enough, I've got legitimate concerns about all our central defenders and we've not got a left back that I've got confidence in. Some will step up. Maybe Moore will kick on again like he did this year. Maybe Schlupp will focus on defending and come on bundles. But there are a lot of maybe's defensively and if we start conceding you cannot get new players in until January. This is a major difference to the Championship where if your left back gets injured, you just get another in on loan. We have to have a squad that can cope with set-backs.

We've got excellent Championship midfielders in Drinkwater, James, Mahrez and Knockaert. I'm sure some will kick on but I'm equally sure one or two won't. What happened to Drinkwater when we started losing last season? Are we really convinced it would never happen again? Who out of that four will pick up the floating attacking midfielders that almost all Premier League teams play? Who is physically strong enough to battle it out against much, much better players?

Up front, we cannot get away with two strikers most games next season. We could drop Nugent into midfield, but on their own, do we have a striker that can handle it? Wood and Vardy have shown excellent form at times but they're like a number of others. When it's all going well, it's great. When things aren't going well, they disappear. Look at Vardy's last 2-3 games or Wood for most of the last year.

Beyond the first choice line up, we've also got very little quality in depth. Even for the sake of numbers, we need at least six newbies.

I'm genuinely positive about our chances but if we only add a couple, we're taking a totally unnecessary and foolish risk.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking.

We need to build the best quality group possible within the budget available. If we need to be harsh to a Hammond or a Dyer and ditch them for someone better, we do it. If you're skint, you have to make do. But we're not.

Absolutely, we keep the bulk of this group together but we supplement them with an additional keeper with some pedigree, 2-3 defenders, 2 midfielders (one holding, one creative) and a major striker signing.

As I've said elsewhere, look at any promoted team and a year later their side is almost unrecognisable. Several of our current squad will not cope at the higher level. Personally, I don't think De Laet is good enough, I've got legitimate concerns about all our central defenders and we've not got a left back that I've got confidence in. Some will step up. Maybe Moore will kick on again like he did this year. Maybe Schlupp will focus on defending and come on bundles. But there are a lot of maybe's defensively and if we start conceding you cannot get new players in until January. This is a major difference to the Championship where if your left back gets injured, you just get another in on loan. We have to have a squad that can cope with set-backs.

We've got excellent Championship midfielders in Drinkwater, James, Mahrez and Knockaert. I'm sure some will kick on but I'm equally sure one or two won't. What happened to Drinkwater when we started losing last season? Are we really convinced it would never happen again? Who out of that four will pick up the floating attacking midfielders that almost all Premier League teams play? Who is physically strong enough to battle it out against much, much better players?

Up front, we cannot get away with two strikers most games next season. We could drop Nugent into midfield, but on their own, do we have a striker that can handle it? Wood and Vardy have shown excellent form at times but they're like a number of others. When it's all going well, it's great. When things aren't going well, they disappear. Look at Vardy's last 2-3 games or Wood for most of the last year.

Beyond the first choice line up, we've also got very little quality in depth. Even for the sake of numbers, we need at least six newbies.

I'm genuinely positive about our chances but if we only add a couple, we're taking a totally unnecessary and foolish risk.

Can't disagree with any of the above, but it's a little depressing when you consider that only Schmeichel is realistically identifiable as PL quality at present.

No different to any other promoted club though, and I think your last line sums it up perfectly.

Thanks for asking.

This is very good.

Thanks for asking.

I can understand all of that and to a certain extent I agree...but...when we were promoted last time round who would have envisaged that the group we had then would have been good enough?

I agree we need more strength in depth but ooh first 11 needs tweaking, if we lose the togetherness and dpirit we currently have I feel this will be to the detriment of staying up.

Of course over the duration of the season the team will evolve as it has this season and may well be largely different to it is now or how it looks at the beginning of the season.

I feel three new faces in the starting eleven along with more depth will see us mid table with additions arriving in the available windows.

Wholesale changes would be a disaster in my opinion.

I can understand all of that and to a certain extent I agree...but...when we were promoted last time round who would have envisaged that the group we had then would have been good enough?

I agree we need more strength in depth but ooh first 11 needs tweaking, if we lose the togetherness and dpirit we currently have I feel this will be to the detriment of staying up.

Of course over the duration of the season the team will evolve as it has this season and may well be largely different to it is now or how it looks at the beginning of the season.

I feel three new faces in the starting eleven along with more depth will see us mid table with additions arriving in the available windows.

Wholesale changes would be a disaster in my opinion.

On your first point, I assume you mean the time before last under MON? If so, that was very different. MON made average players believe they were top drawer. At that point of his career with us, he was exceptional at it. You cannot compare his methods with NPs.

I completely agree that we need to retain the bulk of the group and protect the spirit. But that spirit will soon ebb away if they start losing. Then the players will wish NP had been brave enough to get them some quality support.

Three newbies in our first starting line up with another three on the bench and another couple held back would be perfect!

1. Kasper Schmeichel
  2. Ritchie De Laet
  3. Paul Konchesky
  4. Danny Drinkwater
  5. Wes Morgan
  6. Dean Hammond
  7. Matty James
  8. Jamie Vardy
  9. Andy King
  10. Lloyd Dyer
    [*]Sean St Ledger
  11. Jeff Schlupp
  12. Liam Moore
    [*]Tom Hopper
    [*]Zoumana Bakayogo
    [*]Gary Taylor-Fletcher
    [*]Ignasi Miquel
  13. Anthony Knockaert
  14. Conrad Logan
  15. Riyad Mahrez
  16. Marcin Wasilewski
    [*]Kevin Phillips
    [*]Adam Smith
  17. David Nugent
  18. Chris Wood

That's our current squad (taken from Wiki, so apologies if it is missing anyone) which is handily already at the maximum Premier League squad size of 25.

Only a fool would go into the league in our position, or any with a squad smaller than that of 25 and the players in bold are one's for starters who I think will not be here next year.

That's 7 players straight away not really thinking about it so I would fully expect us to replace those with 7 others.

There are cases for a couple of others to be included that aren't going to be Premier League grade but I do agree with the principle that wholesale changes are a bad move but this does show that we will see quite a few new faces coming in over the next 4 months or so and only adding 2-3 new players would be shooting ourselves in both feet before the season has already began in my opinion.

They might not necessarily jump straight into the team but we do need strength in depth, and given players under 21 do not count towards the quota, there could be even more than the 7 predicted coming in.

I believe Steve Walsh scouted Michael Essien for Chelsea. I hope he has another player of that standard in the pipeline (of course a little less injury prone).

Last edited:
This is very good.

I agree with it. Hull are a good example. They bought well in the summer. I'd sign 5 players with the majority concentrated on the defence and getting a top quality striker. Then you'd hope we can get a good deal on a reserve goalkeeper.

Supplement it in January when you are more aware of the picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570