Pre Match Leicester City Vs Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We proved last season we can beat anyone in the league

Did we prove we can beat Arsenal? I forget. And we can forget the 11v11 rider because we had 11v11 at home and still lost it.

This game is not going to be easy.

Right, I was at the Arsenal game on Saturday and had a great view of the unfolding shit storm that was the Arsenal defence.

We need to press them and press them hard, they cannot deal with it and the 2 inexperienced lads at the back totally folded under the pressure in the 2nd half.

The other weakness is the left fullback position. The space afforded down that side was criminal and wasn't exploited anywhere near enough despite the 4 goals Liverpool managed.

They played a couple of holding midfielders so the middle was congested and we would struggle to play through it if they lined up the same, width is going to be key against these and I would start Mahrez and Albrighton and have them swapping occasionally.

Okazaki plays, without him we have no balance and no link from midfield to attack, he will also press the holding players.

We should have more space and more opportunity against these, we need to be on our game defensively though and this is where the balance will be difficult to achieve. Okazaki offers balance higher up, I hope Mendy can offer it further back.

Either way, I have never been to a ground with such negativity on display on the opening game of a season, the vitriolic abuse of the players and manager was very encouraging.

Get and early goal and seriously unsettle them would be the ideal scenario.

I hope it's just Sanchez up top again, they spend the entire game hoofing the ball up to him and he was so frustrated I thought he might walk off at one point.

An encouraging analysis.

Unfortunately, for success, it is dependent on a different Leicester team turning up on Saturday to the abysmal one that went to Hull.

We need far more speed and pressing. We need passes completed and we need a 'rottweiler' in the middle of the park to break up any Arsenal attack.

I think Okazaki must start. He really disrupts a defence. Mahrez must start and so should Albrighton to give us width and some defensive cover.

So is there enough room for Musa and Vardy to start? I would argue that Musa was the better player over Vardy on Saturday, but would Ranieri bench Vardy if he cannot start both?

Maybe it is best just to start as close to possible the main 11 from last season for now in an effort to rediscover that excellent form. Our preseason hasn't been an ideal precursor to the season this year and I think there is still some evidence of a combination of 'celebration hangover' and complacency having set in.

I think we should play Schmeichel at quarterback and Zieler at extra cover.

That'll confuse the cockney bastards.

We have not improved our team at all have we.

Midfield is now pretty weak. I'd settle for someone even half as good as Kante so long as they play that similar role. I don't feel like we have anyone in that mould.

I also wouldn't pick any of the new lads over what we had last season to start. Musa perhaps as an impact sub. So far the best I can muster...

Schmeichel

Simpson
Huth
Wes
Fuchs

Mahrez
Drinkwater
Not King...might even see if Schlupp can charge around winning balls
Albrighton

Vardy
Okazaki

Too early but I don't have good vibes about the guys we have signed.

Schlupp is fecking idle as a winger and you are suggesting he plays in a midfield slot?!?!!

Schlupp is fecking idle as a winger and you are suggesting he plays in a midfield slot?!?!!

Mental isn't it.

One defeat has turned everyone ****ing loopy loo.

I still think CR was using the Hull game as pre season we showed a massive amount of disrespect and we were spanked as a result

Mendy should start in place of King and Albrighton in place of Gray

I agree. It's the silly pre-season that's to blame.

Perhaps we can make that judgment after a handful of games, but surely it's a bit too early to suggest that after just one game?

We might win the next 4 or 5...

There were several quotes out from players about how they were all ready to 'go again', but it was clear from Saturday that extra pre-season PR commitments has meant they are not fully fit enough yet to play our usual 95 minute pressing game.

Hopefully a superior pitch at the King Power stadium on Saturday will help them put in a better performance. Or at least they can improve their passing, which was woeful against Hull.

It'll be tough against the Arse as usual, especially with their recent defeat and the pressure on Venga.

We must finish our chances better. Despite the defeat against Hull, we had multiple chances to score before they did and indeed afterwards. So even with that shitty performance, we could have still gained a point or three.

Everyone looked so confused against Hull. Part of me is hoping Claudio knew that we'd not crush Hull and therefore release some pressure for this season's expectations. Claudio is crafty!

I'd go with the 3-5-2 i mentioned earlier in the thread. Without K*nte in the middle, we need to add an extra man in there.

I agree. It's the silly pre-season that's to blame.
I wasnt saying we lost because of the pre season it had a factor though I think it will take us at least 4-5 games to get going Hull were the better team end of.

Arsenal will be a fery stern test there defence like Liverpool is as shakey as ours

I wasnt saying we lost because of the pre season

I was. It would be almost impossible for the team to have hit the ground running after the kind of close- and pre-season that we have had. Being Champions though, it was expected/demanded of us. If we had been a really big team with a really big squad we would not have sent the same players on all of the gigs in several corners of the world and perhaps suffered less.

I don't think that we lacked fitness on Saturday. To suggest as much is an insult to Matt Reeves and his team who have proved to be excellent at their jobs.

I'm also far from convinced that a couple of lengthier plane journeys than normal has made any difference whatsoever.

Our problem appeared to me to be a lack of focus. After a year spent with his feet up, Ken Wray needs to be doing his job to remove a few heads from clouds.

Ranieri both does not panic and understands motivation. I fully expect a very different team on Saturday, win, lose or draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00