Leicester feud with Premier League over spending rules could spill into next year

Brown Nose

Update from John Percy:

Leicester’s bitter feud with the Premier League over an alleged breach of financial controls is threatening to drag on into next year.

Championship title winners Leicester are facing a possible points deduction after being charged with breaking Profitability and Sustainability Rules [PSR], but Telegraph Sport has learned that a verdict is likely to be months away.

Leicester were charged in March with the alleged breach and for failing to submit their audited financial accounts, and have vowed to defend themselves against “any unlawful acts by the football authorities”.

It is understood that the hearing may not take place until later this year, with the prospect of appeals and further legal procedures then prolonging the case into the second half of the season.

Everton and Nottingham Forest were both deducted points last season for PSR breaches, and it appears inevitable that Leicester are also facing some form of punishment.

PSR allows clubs to make losses of £105 million over a three-year period: Leicester reported record losses of £92.5m from the 2021-2022 season and then an £89.7 million loss for the latest accounts for the year ending June 30 2023.

Sources have claimed that the sanctions could be significant, though Leicester believe they have a strong and realistic defence and are hopeful of being deducted no more than six points.

Leicester are expected to argue that the losses from the 2022-23 season were a result of mitigating circumstances, such as an unforeseen relegation, the “unplanned expenditure” of sacking £8 million-a-year manager Brendan Rodgers, plus an estimated £30 million deficit from finishing 18th in the table.

Club hope to avoid more breaches after £40 million in sales​

Leading sports lawyer Nick De Marco and his legal team are defending Leicester and have vast experience of dealing with PSR, previously known as Financial Fair Play.

Leicester were initially charged in March and last month had a challenge rejected by an independent commission.

They had insisted the Premier League had no jurisdiction to sanction them as the club was in the Championship at the time. Leicester lodged an appeal against that decision.

The added complication in Leicester’s case is that they were charged for their last season in the top-flight, and the rules have since been changed to “fast-track” similar charges.

Leicester are hopeful of avoiding breaches for last season after completing the £30 million sale of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall to Chelsea, while also banking £10 million in compensation for manager Enzo Maresca before June 30.

Now under the management of Steve Cooper, Leicester kick off their new Premier League season at home to Tottenham on August 19.
Leicester and the Premier League both declined to comment.

"Leicester are expected to argue that the losses from the 2022-23 season were a result of mitigating circumstances, such as an unforeseen relegation, the “unplanned expenditure” of sacking £8 million-a-year manager Brendan Rodgers, plus an estimated £30 million deficit from finishing 18th in the table."

What a defence. "There's mitigating circumstances, we're ran by ****ing morons"

"Leicester are expected to argue that the losses from the 2022-23 season were a result of mitigating circumstances, such as an unforeseen relegation, the “unplanned expenditure” of sacking £8 million-a-year manager Brendan Rodgers, plus an estimated £30 million deficit from finishing 18th in the table."

What a defence. "There's mitigating circumstances, we're ran by ****ing morons"

It's like arguing that you shouldn't fail your driving test for knocking down a child because they walked into the road.

Nick De Marco must be pissing himself laughing at how much he can take from dopey Aiyawatt and his clowns.

So our defence is that we did an over optimistic budget and failed to reach our sales objectives. Add to that some unexpected extraordinary expenses and we failed to reach our financial objectives.

If I were to write a court-room drama and I was the defence attourney, I think that I might struggle to create any tension in the plot.

Sorry, Your Honour, we didn’t think we’d be that shit, so we shouldn’t be punished for it.

What an embarrassing defence.

Now I’m not a lawyer but, ****ing hell, I’ve never heard such a shit defence in my life

The Rudkin master plan is revealed. Relegation was a deliberate plot to avoid PSR sanctions.

Now it makes sense how it all turned to shit so quickly.

The man's genius is untold.

Leicester and the Premier League both declined to comment.

My favourite bit is where we pretend not to have briefed this entire article to John Percy.

Sack the ****ing lot of the useless ****s who put us in this mess.

(And then use the compensation payouts as the defence when we fail it next year as well)

Our 'mitigating circumstances' hinge on the claim that the rules are anti-competitive. The suggestion that a club that has been competing at the top of the table and winning trophies should be unambitious and budget for relegation is pretty unreasonable in a competitive sport.

The problem is, if we were to win on these claims it would essentially make the rules void for everyone, and that won't be easy to overturn, especially as most clubs voted in favour of those rules.

If we ‘get rid of the clowns’, the clowns take their money back to Thailand, and we start spiralling down to League 2 without rich owners, who are not allowed to put money into the club because it is ‘unsustainable’!

Our 'mitigating circumstances' hinge on the claim that the rules are anti-competitive. The suggestion that a club that has been competing at the top of the table and winning trophies should be unambitious and budget for relegation is pretty unreasonable in a competitive sport.

The problem is, if we were to win on these claims it would essentially make the rules void for everyone, and that won't be easy to overturn, especially as most clubs voted in favour of those rules.
That is a far more interesting argument.

The Mike Stowell quote, after BR being sacked, about not realising we were in danger of being relegated before then , makes me wonder what the **** they thought was actually going on.

The Mike Stowell quote, after BR being sacked, about not realising we were in danger of being relegated before then , makes me wonder what the **** they thought was actually going on.

"We were talking about making the top eight," he said. "I’m still scratching my head about how we didn’t stay in the league. I didn’t see it coming at all until Brendan went and I’m thinking 'We are running out of games here and nothing is changing'."

He added: "It’s a tragedy that the club has gone down with the players that we did because, even though Brendan was looking to freshen things up, they were top players. Everyone’s got to take responsibility for it."

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  39
2Liverpool39
3Brighton37
4Arsenal37
5Newcastle37
6Brentford36
7Aston Villa36
8Bournemouth35
9Nottm F35
10Tottenham 34
11Chelsea34