Leicester feud with Premier League over spending rules could spill into next year

Thanks, but what is the relevance of transferring the shares to us?
Media just looking for the irony, but it would be any promoted team.
If the dates are right, it also means that if any of the 3 relegated teams failed PSR, then they could get away with it on the same technicality.

A real big **** up by the Premier league really.

Be interesting to see what they do with Man city now, as they certainly weren’t relegated during the relevant periods

I never had any doubts that we would avoid any penalties one way or another.

The whole idea is a total waste of time. You can never stop the wealthiest clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City having a financial advantage.

the first part seems ok, but the second part about the EFL working with the Premier league as regards last season, that sounds as dodgy as **** , and the Premier league already have egg on their face, so I can’t see them taking that path.

Has anyone written about "Sly Foxes" yet?

Be surprising if the journo's have missed such an obvious strap line.

Useful summary, especially the second half of it.

The club have always stated they complied with PSR for 23/24 and given our recent victory, I'm encouraged to believe it is possible.

We got £85m from Barnes, KDH & Maresca and we shipped quite a lot of big earners out too so the wage bill would have dipped too. Obviously revenue will be down massively without PL TV money but I don't think it is a certainty by any means.

A lot will rely on out financial results in season 21/22 as any potential punishment for last season will be based on 3 Yr losses taking into account seasons 21/22, 22/23 & 23/24.

Then there is also the highly debatable question if the EFL can impose any sanctions on a PL club and everything to date suggests they cannot.

Therefore we should be OK for this season but if we are to get relegated, the EFL could punish us but that is only if we did breach in 23/24 which is far from certain.

The club have always stated they complied with PSR for 23/24 and given our recent victory, I'm encouraged to believe it is possible.

We got £85m from Barnes, KDH & Maresca and we shipped quite a lot of big earners out too so the wage bill would have dipped too. Obviously revenue will be down massively without PL TV money but I don't think it is a certainty by any means.

A lot will rely on out financial results in season 21/22 as any potential punishment for last season will be based on 3 Yr losses taking into account seasons 21/22, 22/23 & 23/24.

Then there is also the highly debatable question if the EFL can impose any sanctions on a PL club and everything to date suggests they cannot.

Therefore we should be OK for this season but if we are to get relegated, the EFL could punish us but that is only if we did breach in 23/24 which is far from certain.

Where have the club ever commented on PSR for 23/24?

Our starting point is that we lost £90m the previous season. So we have to make up that shortfall first. Remember that the sale of Fofana was included in these accounts and we still lost that much. So our income vs. outgoings was a total shit show.

Relegation costs £85-£100m on top of this. We also spent about £40m on new players.

Cutting salaries and selling players was essential and we did some of that. We have no idea how much we've saved from the wagebill. We also don't know how the reduced salaries for 23/24 will hit the wagebill for 24/25 for players that agreed temporary reductions which would be repaid on promotion. But hey, that's one for next year . . .

I don't see how we complied though with those basic figures. Especially as the bar dropped for allowable losses by being in the Championship so PSR is harder to achieve.

Confidence has mainly come from John Percy suggesting that the club think they'll be okay. Who knows what he's basing that on?

Where have the club ever commented on PSR for 23/24?

Our starting point is that we lost £90m the previous season. So we have to make up that shortfall first. Remember that the sale of Fofana was included in these accounts and we still lost that much. So our income vs. outgoings was a total shit show.

Relegation costs £85-£100m on top of this. We also spent about £40m on new players.

Cutting salaries and selling players was essential and we did some of that. We have no idea how much we've saved from the wagebill. We also don't know how the reduced salaries for 23/24 will hit the wagebill for 24/25 for players that agreed temporary reductions which would be repaid on promotion. But hey, that's one for next year . . .

I don't see how we complied though with those basic figures. Especially as the bar dropped for allowable losses by being in the Championship so PSR is harder to achieve.

Confidence has mainly come from John Percy suggesting that the club think they'll be okay. Who knows what he's basing that on?
The starting point for any punishment would be the accounts for 21/22, plus 22/23 and then 23/24.

Dont forget that the accounts only show the true profit and loss and not all of this is taken into account for PSR purposes so we may have lost £90m in 22/23, but the PSR losses for that year will certainly be lower.

We do know our 3 year PSR losses for end 22/23 was £130m but I don't believe we know the season by season breakdown on this - a good chunk of that could be attributed to season 20/21 which would then fall off the calculation for season 23/24.

We generated in excess of £100m for player/manager sales and the naming rights deal we struck with KP. Then there was the sale of Castagne, and others, and we would have booked a profit for Castagne in that season as his initial transfer value is amortised over the whole contract, which there wouldn't have been much, or any, left and then we get to count all the profit.

In a similar sense, we may have bought players for £40m but that cost is spread over their contract term so we wouldn't have £40m of transfer spend in last seasons books.

And given we had quite low transfer dealings in the last 2 seasons in the PL, we won't be carrying forward much transfer exposure either.

It was reported by numerous sources at the time that the Enzo deal would help considerably towards any PSR challenge and we wouldn't have been expecting that.

The club has challenged any allegation successfully so far so I have confidence we will succeed in any other challenges in the near future.

All of that is completely irrelevant anyway as all we have to do to avoid a punishment from last year is not get relegated - the PL cannot impose sanctions on EFL clubs and vice versa.

We will only get punished for last season if we get relegated, and that's even if we broke PSR which remains extremely doubtful imo.

We will only get punished for last season if we get relegated, and that's even if we broke PSR which remains extremely doubtful imo.
Is this true? I'm not sure about the rules so I haven't a clue but some press outlets are now reporting that we could still be punished. Their take on it is that as we submitted our 23/24 accounts after we were officially a Premier League team, if these along with our previous two seasons do not meet PSR requirements, we could still suffer a points deduction. Could be horse shit of course but as I don't know, I was hoping someone else does!

Is this true? I'm not sure about the rules so I haven't a clue but some press outlets are now reporting that we could still be punished. Their take on it is that as we submitted our 23/24 accounts after we were officially a Premier League team, if these along with our previous two seasons do not meet PSR requirements, we could still suffer a points deduction. Could be horse shit of course but as I don't know, I was hoping someone else does!
If that's the case then they would have to allow us the premier leagues higher threshold surely?

The Appeal Commission said that the jurisdiction depended not on the year of being in the PL but the trigger point of June 30th, when we had already left and passed our PL Share to Luton.
Those who think this was carefully and cleverly planned are not supported by the sale of KDH, who we would have kept if management knew there was a loophole. We were lucky.
We are now probably the ‘official’ Disrupter of the Premier League, taking awards and opportunities away from the ‘entitled’ top 6/7.
1) 2016 Champions.
2) Champions League and Europa League participants
3) Avoiding PSR points deductions by offering a ‘notional’ payment’.
4) Avoiding PSR points deductions by appealing that the PL had written their rules wrongly, that could allow other teams who had points deducted a possible appeal.
Personally, I would rather have stayed up with a points deduction than be relegated with the huge financial loss it brought to the club.

The EFL notes the decision of the independent Appeal Board in respect of Leicester City’s appeal regarding the Premier League’s jurisdiction over the Club’s alleged breach of its Profitability and Sustainability Rules.

We are currently reviewing the decision in full and will reserve any further substantive comment until any possible appeal process initiated by the Premier League has concluded, and or any action is taken by the EFL.

We share the frustrations of the Premier League. It cannot be right that Clubs potentially escape the scrutiny of the agreed rules and sanctions due to movement across the divisions.

Cost control rules have been agreed by the member clubs of the Premier League and EFL, and it is incumbent on the Leagues to apply the rules as intended to uphold the integrity of competitions, with Clubs required to act in utmost good faith towards one another for the benefit of all Clubs and their supporters.

The Appeal Commission said that the jurisdiction depended not on the year of being in the PL but the trigger point of June 30th, when we had already left and passed our PL Share to Luton.
Those who think this was carefully and cleverly planned are not supported by the sale of KDH, who we would have kept if management knew there was a loophole. We were lucky.
We are now probably the ‘official’ Disrupter of the Premier League, taking awards and opportunities away from the ‘entitled’ top 6/7.
1) 2016 Champions.
2) Champions League and Europa League participants
3) Avoiding PSR points deductions by offering a ‘notional’ payment’.
4) Avoiding PSR points deductions by appealing that the PL had written their rules wrongly, that could allow other teams who had points deducted a possible appeal.
Personally, I would rather have stayed up with a points deduction than be relegated with the huge financial loss it brought to the club.
Disruptor point 5) Jamie f*cking Vardy, giving it large to other clubs, officials and fans for the last 12 years. Every other club hates him, but wishes he played for them.

I'm still at a loss as to whether we can, as is being reported by some press outlets, still be docked points this season...

I'm still at a loss as to whether we can, as is being reported by some press outlets, still be docked points this season...

100% yes we can.

It's just like the situation with Everton and Forest last season. All PL clubs have until the 31st Dec to submit accounts for the year ending June 30th 2024. The PL charged both those clubs in January and gave them points deductions soon after that.

It's impossible to say after the decision yesterday but, as I've said a few posts up, and you so generously dismissed as bollocks, it's very difficult to see a way that we've made the figures add up. In fact, we already have a good idea because the FL had already given us a transfer ban based on the figures they'd seen. Much depends on how much the Dewsbury-Hall and Maresca money closed the gap.

Our mitigation for this accounting year is that we tried to sell and release assets and cut costs accordingly. But spending about £40m on the likes of Coady and Winks kind of ruins that.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46
11Bournemouth45