Leicester Question, do you know Webbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickovforengland!

This is probably not the right forum so apologies but can anyone help me out I have just been asked a question at work that I can't answer.

If people from London are called Londoners, people from Glasgow are Glaswegians, people from Nottingham are called halfwits. What are people from Leicester called? Leicestarians, Leicesterers, Leicestonians, Leicesterpudlians? Bound to get some comedy answers here but if anyone actually knows post it please.

Are we renowned enough to have our own name?

Cheers

Corithians,something to do with the Roman name for Leicester I believe

Nice one highland! When I had a more advanced hair line I used to go to the Saff for Athletics training with the Coritanians.

Last edited:
i heard from people in linconshire that they called leicester people Chizits

because whenever they were in a shop they can be heard saying:

"ey up mate, har much iz it? me duck" :081:

Dickovforengland! said:
What are people from Leicester called?

Foxiles

Dickovforengland! said:
What are people from Leicester called?

Seriously, I have seen this asked once before. I have a feeling that the answer was 'Ligorians'.

The name Leicester comes from Ligore Castre - the camp of the tribe that lives by the River Legro (now called the Soar).

Here endeth the lesson.

Rataerses, well only on a saturday night

So we have Ligorians from Boc or Coritanians from Highland.

Next time I am back in the motherland I will see if I can find out if either gets the official seal of approval. Thanks.

hello, Captian Dull back from his hols. We natives of the City (and county come to that) are known as Leicestrians. And yes, it is difficult to say (and spell) even without having the had couple of pints I had this evening.

Ligorans is a new one on me and sounds plausible - still I remember one of my 6th form teachers handing me back a C- essay with the words 'nearly plausible EB - keep it up!' Anyone got any other views on this?

And the Roman name of the place seems to've changed: It is now Ratae Corieltauvum according to some recently found coins and not Ratae Coritanorum, so I'm pretty confused there. And I'm not sure I've spelt it right now.

EB:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

EBFox said:
hello, Captian Dull back from his hols. We natives of the City (and county come to that) are known as Leicestrians. And yes, it is difficult to say (and spell) even without having the had couple of pints I had this evening.

Ligorans is a new one on me and sounds plausible - still I remember one of my 6th form teachers handing me back a C- essay with the words 'nearly plausible EB - keep it up!' Anyone got any other views on this?

And the Roman name of the place seems to've changed: It is now Ratae Corieltauvum according to some recently found coins and not Ratae Coritanorum, so I'm pretty confused there. And I'm not sure I've spelt it right now.

Welcome back. :023: ;)

Northerners....:icon_lol:

EBFox said:
It is now Ratae Corieltauvum according to some recently found coins

Our own currency, not a bad idea that. We could have £50 notes with Walshie on and Ade could be on the 1p piece.

We are called Leicestarians.

Eh?

from here:
Geordies from Newcastle &
Brummies from Birmingham

are the only other two to spring to mind.

There are more general names/nicknames for County residents
Yorkshire / Tykes; Leicestershire / Woolybacks; Lincolnshire / Yellowbellies for example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669