Pre Match Leicester v Plymouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've often wondered why no other keeper has used Paul Cooper's penalty technique. It was genius.
He was rumoured to be joining our village team on Anglesey back in around 1994. He turned up for a match and was watching on the touchline. Ironically a match which went to a penalty shootout, after I’d been telling my mates all game what a legend he was at penalties.

Now that’s a real story, Sav.

Far be it from me to suggest that the word ‘genius’ is overused but it feels like BN oversold this

No, his record at saving penalties was exceptional. Especially as he wasn't tall. He didn't so much stand to one side, it was the psychology of it that made it work so often.

He stood in the centre of the goal, then moved very slightly to one side, half a step at most. Then he leaned over to the side which had slightly more open space to make the penalty taker think that he was going to dive that way.

So many takers just confused themselves and ended up passing the ball to Cooper. I never thought he'd ever get beaten from them when he was our keeper.

Nowadays every penalty taker appears to have pre-planned where they will put the kick and every keeper has a record of the takers previous penalties. It has over-analysed the art of saving them. The key is to get into the takers head and make them do something that they weren't planning on. That's what set Cooper apart. These are not great examples. In my memory, I can picture his entire routine and sometimes I swear the taker was practically crying running up to take the kick.

Wasn’t this the second four goal win in 4 days, with exactly the same four goalscorers?
If memory serves, it followed a 4-1 win over Oldham. But as that had been midweek and I had school in the morning I didn't get to watch that one

No, his record at saving penalties was exceptional. Especially as he wasn't tall. He didn't so much stand to one side, it was the psychology of it that made it work so often.

He stood in the centre of the goal, then moved very slightly to one side, half a step at most. Then he leaned over to the side which had slightly more open space to make the penalty taker think that he was going to dive that way.

So many takers just confused themselves and ended up passing the ball to Cooper. I never thought he'd ever get beaten from them when he was our keeper.

Nowadays every penalty taker appears to have pre-planned where they will put the kick and every keeper has a record of the takers previous penalties. It has over-analysed the art of saving them. The key is to get into the takers head and make them do something that they weren't planning on. That's what set Cooper apart. These are not great examples. In my memory, I can picture his entire routine and sometimes I swear the taker was practically crying running up to take the kick.

What a finish that was

I took the wife to Filbert St for her birthday in Feb 1991 to see us beat Plymouth 3-1. I think Tommy Wright got one of the goals.

We enjoyed the sounds of "We Got Pleaty Out" being sang for most of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566