Leicestershire CCC 2024

Leicestershire CCC can today (1 July) confirm Chris Wright will return to playing from 19 July 2024 following the completion of a nine-month suspension imposed by the National Anti-Doping Panel.

Chris was provisionally suspended by the Cricket Regulator in October 2023 after the consumption of a contaminated supplement returned a surprising Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) for Ostarine.

Following a hearing on 1 May 2024, the Panel imposed a nine-month suspension on Chris, backdated to October. Taking account of scientific evidence, the Panel accepted that Chris had no intention to breach Anti-Doping rules, and he has since been allowed to resume training at Uptonsteel County Ground.

Leicestershire CCC has wholeheartedly supported Chris throughout this challenging period and will continue to do so as he works towards a return to playing this month.

The Club wishes to thank supporters for their patience regarding Chris’ previously unexplained absence, and reiterates its unwavering focus was always on prioritising Chris’ welfare to ensure he was able to return to playing cricket for Leicestershire as soon as possible.

Chris Wright said: “I was shocked to find out that I had tested positive for trace amounts of a banned substance on a single occasion back in October 2023. I had been using a fruit supplement at the time, purchased from a well-known manufacturer, which had no sports performance-enhancing capability. I disclosed this fully on my doping control form before I provided a sample, as required, that returned the adverse result.

“I was extremely fortunate that with the help of scientific experts, I was able to identify that the supplement was contaminated with Ostarine, a synthetic substance that ought not be in any food product in the UK, and the ECB accepted this.

“There has been no explanation from the supplement manufacturer as to how that came to be and, as the independent panel’s decision in my case shows, I did not intend to take such substance, nor could I have even known the supplement was contaminated with it.

“The panel found that I bore no significant fault and I am pleased this matter has been resolved so that I can resume playing soon, after what has been an extremely difficult and trying time for me and my family. I am back in training and looking forward to my full return.

“I would like to thank Leicestershire CCC, in particular Claude Henderson and Alfonso Thomas, for their support during this difficult period. They have been extremely patient and supportive during the whole process and have been keen to get me back playing as soon as possible.

“I would also like to thank the PCA for their support during the period of my suspension as this matter was resolved. Their help, support and guidance has been invaluable. Lastly, I want to thank my family. Their love and positivity has helped me immensely during what has also been a really challenging time for them. I will always be grateful.”

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00
9Fulham00
10Ipswich00