Leicestershire in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

So a few days to go to the 20/20 finals. Good luck to Leicestershire, I really hope we do win it again but I hope it doesn't mask the sorry state that the club is in at the moment.

We've been going down hill for a couple of years now. We hit a high when we won two championships in three years but now we are in a sorry state with mis-management and ineptness on and off the field :(

There are a few problems:
* Every recent signing we've bought in has been poor. Even the overseas signings have been a joke this season. It was only a few years ago when we bought in quality signings like Sehwag and Kumble. Now who do we have? Mongia and Willoughby. Average players in their own countries who have done nothing spectacular this season.

* The selection policy of this club is awful. Favouring old, past it players ahead of young prospects. We've had so much young talent leave this club in recent years (Adshead, Wright, Kirby, Crook) and who have we got instead? Defreitas, Gibson, Nixon, Habib, Henderson. All players who are past it and are here on a final pay day.

* The management has also been guilty of inadequate employment practices that have cost us a bit of money in recent years. Link. Its depressing because its such a basic procedure to handle contracts yet we can't even do that properly.

* Then there are the players. They underperform a lot, we know that some of them can do better but the problem is that they aren't dropped when they are out of form. Thats where a squad comes in useful. Leicestershire have noone in reserve who can come in. We should have at least 8 decent batsmen, we struggle to put out 6!

I would get rid of James Whitaker and Gus Mackay. The men in charge and get someone with fresh ideas to come in. We have some good players who and some very good prospects but we're going nowhere if we keep making the same mistakes we've been making in the past few years.

Oh and even if we win this saturday (I hope we do honest) it shouldn't hide the fact that we are doing poorly in the other forms of the game. We're in the lower divisions of the One and Four day games. I won't be happy unless we are competitive or at least doing the best we can with a small budget. 20/20 is good in some ways but its got a lot of things wrong with it.

I would get rid of James Whitaker and Gus Mackay. The men in charge and get someone with fresh ideas to come in. We have some good players who and some very good prospects but we're going nowhere if we keep making the same mistakes we've been making in the past few years.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree, Leicestershire are up shit creek without the 20/20. I hope we win it but the club needs a major revamp. Start putting the emphasis on instead of getting cricket journeymen whose main aim is for the dosh.

Despite what you said about Willoughby, he has impressed me this year but that 'New Zealander' Henderson is a waste of time.

I still hope we win the 20/20 and get promoted to the One-Day First Division in hope that Hampshire's superstars are down here next season.

Overseas players - agreed about Mongia and Willoughby. In first-class matches Willoughby is the least effective overseas bowler we have had in as long as I have been following Leics. For an overseas bowler leading the line not to have taken more than 3 wickets in an innings is a disgrace. Mongia isn't a bad player - first class average of 50+ but I would suggest hasn't put in the commitment needed to play day in day out.

Selection policy - agreed about bringing back the older players. However I sense the club have also realised this - Daffy, Snape and Habib were dropped after about 2-3 poor games (a bit late then though) and now Broad, Maunders and Sadler are first choice (despite Maunders poor displays over last 2years) and New is a regular in the National League. They've also signed Cummins who did well with the ball yesterday - let's hope he gets a chance when Ottis is back.

Players - they are obviously underperforming. The batsmen can't seem too knuckle down and score 100s. Darren Maddy has been out in the 40s about a dozen times this year! Nice 30s and 40s with no tons were the problem with Darren Stevens, it seems to have infected the whole team now!

And I would just say that although I agree with your reservations the new blood introduced (belatedly) this year has made me more optimistic. It will be a couple of years but add a decent overseas batsman (e.g. Chris Rogers) and a wicket-taking pace bowler to the blend we won't be far away from promotion. It's going to take small steps at a time but at the moment we are at a nadir - it can only get better and it will do.

And I think we will be promoted in the National League and win the Twenty 20 :038:

Darren Stevens is the current star of the show in Bat with Kent in the Championship.

Personally, I think the axing of Chris Rogers was wrong. He was better performing in his short time than Mongia. He would be ideal for our lack of runs in the Championship.

Sign a world-class international seam bowler. Our pitch is ideal for a decent seamer, Gough proved it today.

Hi again, just got back from work and turned on the 20/20 finals. Lancashire, Surrey and Somerset all have impressive batting line ups. While our squad is: H D Ackerman (captain), D Maddy, D Mongia, J Allenby, J Snape, P Nixon, O Gibson, J Maunders, C Henderson, D Masters, C Willoughby, T New, D Brignull. Only three orthodox batsmen? I understand that Robinson or Habib aren't the most mobile of players but if we lose two wickets early then we will be in big trouble. I've noticed Allenby in a few games earlier this season but errr, who is he?

A few positives from the past week. Cummins looks like a decent find getting 4/52 against Essex. Broad has been really good for England U19s, I saw the game yesterday and he is a very clever bowler. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got into the full squad in a few years. Thirdly, Habib getting 153*. His season's best before that was 41. If the older guys played like that more often then there would be no question of the selection policy :)

Symonds looks like hes on particularly good form.

Oh and I totally agree that we need a world-class international seam bowler. I wouldn't mind if Cummins and Broad started every game but we can't rely on youth to bowl out teams. Maybe in a few seasons but they're still learning the game. If we had someone like Ntini (who was available and is now joining Warwickshire as a replacement for the injured Streak) then we would be at least a few places further up the table. Willoughby is averaging 56 in county cricket which is embarrasing!

As for Rogers, he was a decent player but he was only ever going to be here while Mongia was on international duty. He could definately do a job for us in the future though. Next season perhaps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669