Leics v Yorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyfox

Never got going today....and to be honest the writing was on the wall after 4 overs of their innings.

Must win game against Lancs on Friday or thats it

Not sure if they bowled well or we just batted poorly? seemed to be hard to time it properly until the wicket changed in the 10 minute break lol. Good knock from JT but batting line up missed McDonald.

Ironic that our bowling and fielding was holding the team together in the first 3 games, but last few we have been pretty expensive. Although with the batsmen never looking like making 160+ we are always in trouble.

Why on earth is Benning coming in so late. He should be opening, with Nixon coming in a bit later. They always try and put Nixon on for the spinners I think which affects the overall batting order

Taylor has really come on in Twenty20 in the last 3 games, and good to see Hodge get some runs although he was clearly trying to grind out an innnigs

The decision to bring in White before Benning was baffling to say the least.

White had a great start to the season but I'm not sure he can justify his place in the Twenty20 side at the moment. It is predicatable that he will get hit for at least 12 or 13 per over.

Benning's bowling made it increasingly obvious that we miss a medium pacer - he bowled well for a part timer.

On the batting side, the only player that looked comfortable was James Taylor. He is turning into the complete batsman and now excels in all forms of the game. It was good to see Hodge get some runs, but it was hardly in true T20 fashion - he never really looked at ease.

Why on earth is Benning coming in so late. He should be opening, with Nixon coming in a bit later. They always try and put Nixon on for the spinners I think which affects the overall batting order

Taylor has really come on in Twenty20 in the last 3 games, and good to see Hodge get some runs although he was clearly trying to grind out an innnigs

Unfortunately Benning is not as good as Allenby.

Yes - the Hodge situation was becoming embarrassing; he had to graft to stop the rot.

I get the impression from the quotes coming from Nixon that he is asserting his position at Grace Road. Nixon to replace Tim Boon? Poor old Boon doesn't seem to generate much success in any format of the game.

I'm not sure how much authority Boon actually has down at Grace Road.

I think his role is lot more strictly as 'coach' rather than 'manager'. I understand that David 'I love the sound of my own voice' Smith has a great deal to do with team selection. A chief executive's role in my book, is to run the business side of the cricket club and conduct contract negotiations with players that have been earmarked by the coaching staff.

It doesn't look like this is the case - Smith's handling of players and ill judged comments have never gone down well with me. His handling of the Allenby affair (although we'll never hear the whole story) was poor and replacing him with a so called 'like for like' player in Benning didn't wash.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much authority Boon actually has down at Grace Road.

I think his role is lot more strictly as 'coach' rather than 'manager'. I understand that David 'I love the sound of my own voice' Smith has a great deal to do with team selection. A chief executive's role in my book, is to run the business side of the cricket club and conduct contract negotiations with players that have been earmarked by the coaching staff.

It doesn't look like this is the case - Smith's handling of players and ill judged comments have never gone down well with me. His handling of the Allenby affair (although we'll never hear the whole story) was poor and replacing him with a so called 'like for like' player in Benning didn't wash.

I tend to agree. David Smith portrays an image of marching around the ground acting as if he owns the place. All the more reason for a strong leader being brought in to manage the playing side.

His statements about moving on from the Kolpak era would be more credible if we had been able to replace the runs, talent and experience of HD. Neither Jefferson nor Benning look like the top players to me who would make a real difference- and to some extent I don't quarrel with bringing in that class of player given that the club is under serious financial constraints.

I'm afraid I'm also a bit dubious about Hoggard. I can sympathise with him in coming into a situation where resources are so thin - but is he really county captain material. Gimmicks like making players remove their cap when they misfield look great fun to me.......in about Division 5 of the Leicestershire County League, but a bit childish in the first class game. Maybe I'm just being an old misery and have got it wrong - I do hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669