Life in league 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

With our championship life ebbing away, i thought i'd have a look at what might be in store for us.

Life in League 1

Iain Holloway

With Ollie struggling to make any impact since his arrival, the pressure is obviously really on him. If we start next season in league 1, then i rate his chances of being manager for the opening game at probaly less than 50-50. If he is still in charge then the opening few games will be crucial to his future at the club. A mediocre start in the first 5-6 games will surely be the end of him.

Milan Mandaric

Milan will certainly have some very tough decisions to make if we go down . Nobody knows what or if any funds Milan has left. Sacking Ollie will surely mean yet another drain on funds in terms of compensation. Milan also knows that selling season tickets for a league 1 campaign will be much harder than it was for this season.
Will he keep the prices for ST the same? will he increase them to try and make some funds ? will he reduce them to try and keep the punters interested?

The players

Whilst it looks like IH is trying to build a side, its almost certain the club will want to offload a number of players. Some would argue the wage bill is too high for the championship, so the big earners will surely be sent packing for the poverty the club will endure in lge 1.
Of course if we lose our best players, an automatic return will be made much more difficult.

The Walkers stadium

Could be a volatile place next season. The fans will expect to win most games at home against lesser oppostion and that in itself could be a real problem. More than ever the fans will be demanding success, and their patience is sure to be tested against teams who will come here to frustrate us. The ground would imo be the best in lge 1, and that will make it like a cup final for many visiting teams.
Also the attendances are certain to be the poorest since the move to the Walkers. Only Forest Leeds and possibly Northampton and Peterborough? will attract over 20k. I expect the average crowd to drop to 17k-18k and that could depend on MM season ticket policy.

Away games

There is certainly going to be a culture shock for both players and fans on away days. The players wont have the luxuries afforded to them at the Walkers.
Some teams have nice new compact little grounds, but there is plenty out there to make people think they are still in the 1980's. Some might enjoy standing up again, others will curse the terrible views. Toilets and facilities will be a far cry from that of the Walkers. For the away day fanatics its a great opporunity to visit new grounds and different places. Admission prices may also shock a few. A work friend of mine is a cobblers fan, and i was quite surprised how expensive it still is for games at league 1 level.
On the playing front, Leicester will be an attraction in this league.
So once again you can expect both opponents and their fans to be up for it when City are in town.

Big games

This is where it, hits home a bit. Depending on what happens this season only Leeds and Forest provide potentially exciting games.
Northampton will ensure a lively encounter as will Peterborough if they are promoted. As for the rest the fans will find it hard to 'get up' for most other opponents.

Prospects

Most of our fans will want and expect an instant return to the championship, but the Forest story should provide sufficent warnings. This may not be an easy lge to get out of. Both the fans and the players have to come to terms and deal with the apathy at playing at a level where we believe we dont belong. If we go about it with the wrong attitude and just expect things to happen, then the shame of Leicester City will be an ongoing story.

This is of course all hypothetical and i live in hope that it remains that way. But we have to get our heads around these possibilities because in reality its a lot closer than we want to think about.

spot on BB, and for nearly all those reasons is why I will stop going down.

...it's the end then?.... it certainly a wonder how Leeds and Forest have survived, let alone all the other clubs in that league? yet they have .... agreed it is not a very good prospect , but you know what, life goes on and so does LCFC.... at least I hope so... all you mentioned could well come true BB, a good insight to what's on the cards, and yes, it will certainly sort out the men from the boys support wise, let's just hope Ollie can work his magic, if he has any ???....

The Walkers stadium
The ground would imo be the best in lge 1, and that will make it like a cup final for many visiting teams.

I know what you mean, but in my mind it's the worst in div 3. A characterless nowhere devoid of atmosphere and history.

And also no better than the stadium at MK.

i nearly cried reading that BB, but ur spot on.

If we went down i'm not sure i'd want an instant return. The Bue Mongie Brigade will then expect us to "do a bristol city".

If we went down i'm not sure i'd want an instant return. The Bue Mongie Brigade will then expect us to "do a bristol city".

Brilliant idea, lets go rotten in league one for a while, would not want any BM's hoping we do well in the Championship.

Jesus wept.

Last edited:
Top stuff BB i might nip down the pub Friday and have a pint with you just to cheer myself up a bit. :icon_conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669