Linux Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feriol

I last used linux around 3 years ago (A version of Mandrake with KDE), and am now wanting to put it onto a new system, but i'm quite out of date. Before deciding which to install i plan on trying a few different distributions.

When i chose before the major influence in my decision was Gnome or KDE, and i am keen to try distributions with each to see how they have developed.
Mint is highly rated, which uses Gnome? and i'm interested in seeing Ubuntu's Unity.

Which distro would you recommend for trying KDE?

I last used linux around 3 years ago (A version of Mandrake with KDE), and am now wanting to put it onto a new system, but i'm quite out of date. Before deciding which to install i plan on trying a few different distributions.

When i chose before the major influence in my decision was Gnome or KDE, and i am keen to try distributions with each to see how they have developed.
Mint is highly rated, which uses Gnome? and i'm interested in seeing Ubuntu's Unity.

Which distro would you recommend for trying KDE?

Mint's KDE offering is excellent, even though their main distro is Gnome based. Although I actually only use their Gnome desktop these days, the only reason I was using KDE before was for the Amarok music player, but I can live without it, Rhythmbox and the Listen player have both matured a lot in recent years.

Last edited:
Not yet Mackster, but surely fairly soon.

Not yet??? Mint pisses all over any version of Windows, then shits on its chest, calls its bird ugly and steals all of its lunch money. And Windows secretly really enjoys it.

I didn't realise Mint had a KDE version.

I have felt for a long time that Linux was far superior to windows, was just a shame it wouldn't work with my wireless adapter when i bought a laptop, i'm assured this shouldn't be a problem now so am looking forward to getting back to it.

just a shame it wouldn't work with my wireless adapter when i bought a laptop

It'll most likely work 'out of the box' with Mint. There are a few adapters that have proprietary drivers that can't be bundled with the distro, but it practically walks you through the steps to install them

It'll most likely work 'out of the box' with Mint. There are a few adapters that have proprietary drivers that can't be bundled with the distro, but it practically walks you through the steps to install them

The irony being that you have to be connected to the net to download them :icon_wink

I like Linux but until there is a seamless way to create perfectly office compatible documents and to run things like PhotoShop natively, I can't see myself going back to it.

I only let the kids access the net using Linux - I'm not sorting mucky viruses all the blooming time.

We use Ubuntu 10.something as the later one looked all messed up and my wireless stopped working - which is what stops me trying any other distros now. I can't be bothered investing time to make them work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566