Linux Install on PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done this yet and is it any good??

Have seen the option to add another OS on the PS3 but I'm not tempted to do this, the hardware should handle it easily as the stripdown I saw of the system shows that the components are all very high spec (better than most PC's) and Sony was losing almost $200 per unit on the 60gb version.

I'm not a fan of making everything multitasking, it usually makes stuff less good at it's main job and I don't need a toaster that can surf the internet whilst plotting my position and baking a cake.

Last edited:
I don't have a PS3 but installing Fedora Core 5 would be your own choice whether you want to change to Linux OS. In my past i have only used a bootdisc of (LINUX) Backtrack and Knoppix on the PC for other reasons.

Last edited:
I don't have a PS3 but installing Fedora Core 5 would be your own choice whether you want to change to Linux OS. In my past i have only used a bootdisc of (LINUX) Backtrack and Knoppix on the PC for other reasons.

Its not a change.

I'm not a fan of making everything multitasking, it usually makes stuff less good at it's main job

Not in this case it won't

I don't need a toaster that can surf the internet whilst plotting my position and baking a cake.

No, but a PS3 that can stream music & video from your PC, attach a keyboard & mouse and have access to thousands of different applications, as well as still being able to play games as well as it always could, sounds pretty good

Not in this case it won't

No, but a PS3 that can stream music & video from your PC, attach a keyboard & mouse and have access to thousands of different applications, as well as still being able to play games as well as it always could, sounds pretty good

That was my thinking. I will give it a go Yellow Dog 6 looks favourite currently.

That was my thinking. I will give it a go Yellow Dog 6 looks favourite currently.

Yeah, was just reading Yellow Dogs site.
Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't, no down side & huge amounts to gain.

So it says

Not just a game box, the Sony Computer Entertainment PLAYSTATION®3 with Yellow Dog Linux is the most exciting personal computer to hit the market in years. Terra Soft offers the PS3™ with Yellow Dog Linux pre-installed as a low cost, home and office personal computer and Cell Broadband Engine development workstation.

So, what is the advantage of doing so if you already have a computer - which I guess everyone here does? It utilises the processor a tad batter but I still don't understand why anyone would pay for a linux package for one.

So it says

So, what is the advantage of doing so if you already have a computer - which I guess everyone here does? It utilises the processor a tad batter but I still don't understand why anyone would pay for a linux package for one.

You can get it for free Dad and you're extending the functionality of your games console.
For example, you could have a storage Drive connected to your PC full of movies & stream them onto your telly.

You can get it for free Dad and you're extending the functionality of your games console.
For example, you could have a storage Drive connected to your PC full of movies & stream them onto your telly.

I have a PC, I have a laptop I don't need my PS3 to do what they do. If you want to do it go ahead but I just don't understand people who want 10 things which do the same thing, I can boil water in a pan on the hob but leave that to the kettle.

Buy a PS3 and do what you like with it but you can already connect any of your computers to the tv if you want, I haven't found a single TV with great audio but I guess you can have 7.1 connected to the tv.

My PS3's already connected to my TV, why would I want to feck around connecting my PC to it to show movies/play music/surf the net?? When I can do it with sonething already connected that will do it on HD??

I have a PC, I have a laptop I don't need my PS3 to do what they do. If you want to do it go ahead but I just don't understand people who want 10 things which do the same thing, I can boil water in a pan on the hob but leave that to the kettle.

Buy a PS3 and do what you like with it but you can already connect any of your computers to the tv if you want, I haven't found a single TV with great audio but I guess you can have 7.1 connected to the tv.

How many computers that you can buy in your local PC world, other PCs retailers are available kids, can connect directly to an average TV and stream movies off a hard drive?
With a modded PS3, or Xbox, you can do exactly that with an old Pentium II & a minimum spec telly, what's not to love about that?

I'm trying to understand your negativity but, With respect, you're completely missing the point BB.
The PS3 is a computer that has been locked down into being a very good games console.
What harm is there in retaining that game playing ability and also extending it's functionality into being a cool as **** media centre PC at no cost?

Carry on like that and I'll be placing you over my knee.

Carry on like that and I'll be placing you over my knee.

Oooh, oooh, while I'm on your knee can we watch Lassie, the Roddy McDowell version from the 40s, can we Dad pleeeeeeease.
I have it on a flash drive on my laptop, it'll be a piece of piss to stream it onto our fabulous massive telly using our modded PS3.
Please Dad can we? I promise to do chores.

How many computers that you can buy in your local PC world, other PCs retailers are available kids, can connect directly to an average TV and stream movies off a hard drive?
With a modded PS3, or Xbox, you can do exactly that with an old Pentium II & a minimum spec telly, what's not to love about that?

I'm trying to understand your negativity but, With respect, you're completely missing the point BB.
The PS3 is a computer that has been locked down into being a very good games console.
What harm is there in retaining that game playing ability and also extending it's functionality into being a cool as **** media centre PC at no cost?

As I said in my posts, it's an extremly high spec system and there is no problem doing it but I still don't see the point personally, this is my point of view.

I bought a games console/blu-ray player to be used for playing games and blu-ray.

As I said in my posts, it's an extremly high spec system and there is no problem doing it but I still don't see the point personally, this is my point of view.

I bought a games console/blu-ray player to be used for playing games and blu-ray.

But surely you should have bought a seperate Blu-Ray player by your argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669