Lisbon or Porto

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIF

Decided to go away for 2 or 3 nights to Portugal during the first week of September but not sure whether to go to Lisbon or Porto.

Does anyone have any experience of either of them to give me from a Brit's pov?

We're over 50's - not the nightlife types - like history and culture. Happy to walk, can speak English,French, (some spanish and German) but no Portuguese.

Any advice and suggestions?

The boy's club don't like me. what can I say? At least here it's only Steven who doesn't like me. :) (Is it the same Steven as FT?)

Anyway which do you suggest Porto or Lisbon?

The boy's club don't like me. what can I say? At least here it's only Steven who doesn't like me. :) (Is it the same Steven as FT?)

Anyway which do you suggest Porto or Lisbon?
I don't think you need to worry about Steven. But I'm a bit concerned about TB being your second choice after FT....

Never been to neither Porto nor Lisbon, so I can't help you there.

I don't think you need to worry about Steven. But I'm a bit concerned about TB being your second choice after FT....

Never been to neither Porto nor Lisbon, so I can't help you there.

second choice?

I was with TB's predecessor nearly 2 decades ago and with TB long before I went to FT. When I got the last ban from Steven in 2009 I decided that I needed a change of venue - bit like suarez after the biting - so I went to FT. FT is a decent site, better than Bentley's roof which I also frequented, it has a hell of a lot of posters and so there is always someone to discuss with, a bit like TB 8 years ago - where have all the people gone? (Was that a roger miller song from the 60's). However I obviously annoy a mod over there too, which does have it's inner circle boy's club who you shouldn't diagree with, and the latest ban means I decided to look up my old haunt to see how things are going.

I went to the Algarve about 28 years ago. Does that qualify me to recommend where to go?

second choice?

I was with TB's predecessor nearly 2 decades ago and with TB long before I went to FT. When I got the last ban from Steven in 2009 I decided that I needed a change of venue - bit like suarez after the biting - so I went to FT. FT is a decent site, better than Bentley's roof which I also frequented, it has a hell of a lot of posters and so there is always someone to discuss with, a bit like TB 8 years ago - where have all the people gone? (Was that a roger miller song from the 60's). However I obviously annoy a mod over there too, which does have it's inner circle boy's club who you shouldn't diagree with, and the latest ban means I decided to look up my old haunt to see how things are going.
Who was Suarez then? You or Steven? ;)

problem is it wasn't my ear !

I've been to Lisbon - great city.

Will let you know how Porto is in December.

I've been to Lisbon - great city.

Will let you know how Porto is in December.

I think I'm going to Lisbon because I, too, am hoping to go to Porto in December.

Still one is with the wife!

second choice?

Only the owner of FT can issue bans I believe. He or she has got a strange sense of justice, and they obviously don't care for the type of conversations you and I would usually get into, so the only way to avoid getting banned is to abstain from posting anything remotely opinionated, thus rendering the purpose of the forum rather obsolete. Or you can throw a few donations into the hat, like I assume most of the old boys network do, and that seems to buy them immunity from bans and carte blanche to say whatever they like. He/she must be raking in the visitors thanks to the club's success so the old regulars in general chat who kept the site going through the lean years probably aren't that important to them anymore. Good luck to them, it's just a shame FT is the only LCFC forum that's properly active. This one is alright but too quiet. Bentley's roof is just plain weird.

Maybe Daggers will join us in here for an FT reunion. Come on down Mawsley me old fruit.

Last edited:
Only the owner of FT can issue bans I believe. He or she has got a strange sense of justice, and they obviously don't care for the type of conversations you and I would usually get into, so the only way to avoid getting banned is to abstain from posting anything remotely opinionated, thus rendering the purpose of the forum rather obsolete. Or you can throw a few donations into the hat, like I assume most of the old boys network do, and that seems to buy them immunity from bans and carte blanche to say whatever they like. He/she must be raking in the visitors thanks to the club's success so the old regulars in general chat who kept the site going through the lean years probably aren't that important to them anymore. Good luck to them, it's just a shame FT is the only LCFC forum that's properly active. This one is alright but too quiet. Bentley's roof is just plain weird.

Maybe Daggers will join us in here for an FT reunion. Come on down Mawsley me old fruit.
You see active, I see piles and piles of absolute drivel (whenever I look at FT). I'd rather have fewer posts on a forum, than some of the horseshit that's posted over there. That's just me, though.

You see active, I see piles and piles of absolute drivel (whenever I look at FT). I'd rather have fewer posts on a forum, than some of the horseshit that's posted over there. That's just me, though.
Not just you.

It made my eyes bleed.

Not just you.

It made my eyes bleed.

I understand what you are saying.

There is a lot of drivel but there are also some wonderful informative and intelligent posts.

There are so many posters there that you are sure to have a real cross section of society and as you've mentioned elsewhere that means there are a lot of idiots. Personally I love the general chat area in FT, it is so full of different views and opinions that it makes discussion easy and interesting and often stimulates me to look or think deeper into certain subjects. However there are threads and some very well established that I would never enter. The Tinder thread is probably the most mysogyinstic and grotesque thread imaginable so I stopped even looking in there. It is however very popular with a clique of 20something males and they can exchange their opinions on an interest that they share. Given the recent money oriented trend of closing down certain types of thread in general chat I'm amazed it is still there. The chebs and babe type threads were removed as they may offend click earning viewers from visiting.

The last time I was here for a few years the general chat was very vibrant and I particularly remember some wonderful game threads. I adored the 3 word thread and the alphabet thread and the word association game thread and I found people of a similar ilk who enjoyed them too, but it does seem that General chat has died over here. As this thread proves, at FT I'd have had a host of answers to my questions some inane but many informative and helpful. I want to be clear that I'm not saying that to knock TB just to compare boards and eras. It seems that TB has quietened whilst FT has exploded - as you say that brings fools as well and if you've ever followed a game thread there you'd be right in what you said. I feel like killing half of them during the matches. Of course Leicester have never been as celebrated as they are at the moment and in a few years (when we return to a less exhilarating level than we are now) I'm sure many of those posters will disappear.

I also like the transfer forum over there which Brown nose seems to summarize well in his 1 thread. The posters who keep repeating the same "medical" or "Rudkin" or "Walsh" jokes ad nauseum do ruin a pretty good transfer speculation forum though.

In the end - each to their own. This board represents the wonderful freedom of speech that makes Britain Great. Censorship very rarely has a positive effect.

I agree with what you are saying - though I have been known to donate to the site. There are certain cliques that if you disagree with then you get banned. What annoys me is that you are given no reason for your ban so even if you wanted to it's impossible to adjust your behaviour. Mark does seem to be a bit of a dick - will that get me a lifetime ban? - but there are some good Mods and some excellent posters there (whether I agree with them or not). He also seems to have gone excessively click bait crazy. Even stopping the ratings thread because it gets less posting.

This site is a lot less active than it used to be, I don't know why as I've been absent for a while, Jeff seems happy enough though and he's cool to let it go as it pleases.

I understand what you are saying.

There is a lot of drivel but there are also some wonderful informative and intelligent posts.

There are so many posters there that you are sure to have a real cross section of society and as you've mentioned elsewhere that means there are a lot of idiots. Personally I love the general chat area in FT, it is so full of different views and opinions that it makes discussion easy and interesting and often stimulates me to look or think deeper into certain subjects. However there are threads and some very well established that I would never enter. The Tinder thread is probably the most mysogyinstic and grotesque thread imaginable so I stopped even looking in there. It is however very popular with a clique of 20something males and they can exchange their opinions on an interest that they share. Given the recent money oriented trend of closing down certain types of thread in general chat I'm amazed it is still there. The chebs and babe type threads were removed as they may offend click earning viewers from visiting.

The last time I was here for a few years the general chat was very vibrant and I particularly remember some wonderful game threads. I adored the 3 word thread and the alphabet thread and the word association game thread and I found people of a similar ilk who enjoyed them too, but it does seem that General chat has died over here. As this thread proves, at FT I'd have had a host of answers to my questions some inane but many informative and helpful. I want to be clear that I'm not saying that to knock TB just to compare boards and eras. It seems that TB has quietened whilst FT has exploded - as you say that brings fools as well and if you've ever followed a game thread there you'd be right in what you said. I feel like killing half of them during the matches. Of course Leicester have never been as celebrated as they are at the moment and in a few years (when we return to a less exhilarating level than we are now) I'm sure many of those posters will disappear.

I also like the transfer forum over there which Brown nose seems to summarize well in his 1 thread. The posters who keep repeating the same "medical" or "Rudkin" or "Walsh" jokes ad nauseum do ruin a pretty good transfer speculation forum though.

In the end - each to their own. This board represents the wonderful freedom of speech that makes Britain Great. Censorship very rarely has a positive effect.
I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend on a website. If I tried to read everything on there, I wouldn't have much time for anything else. On here, there's enough for me and so that's fine.

Out of interest, where do you live in France, FIF?

I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend on a website. If I tried to read everything on there, I wouldn't have much time for anything else. On here, there's enough for me and so that's fine.

Out of interest, where do you live in France, FIF?

Again you are right. I'm a University Prof so I get 6 months of free time :002: but even then I'm selective on the threads I read.

I live on the SW coast in a nice small resort in the Medoc called Soulac Sur Mer, north of Bordeaux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566