Pre Match Liverpool v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lookman was the worst player on the pitch, although Amartey gave him some competition. Thomas not far behind them

They (supposedly) start but Nacho and the others get dropped

If this is all true, he’s a complete ****ing idiot

Spot on.

The treatment of Iheanacho alone is borderline insane.

To continue to play Lookman is delusional. I'm sure he's a lovely lad that listens to his boss and nods his head in training, but he's ****ing useless on the pitch.

Amartey was our worst defender on Sunday but he's retained. Soyuncu was his 21/22 headless chicken self but at least he attempts to defend.

Soumare comes back in from the cold for reasons unknown. Our captain on Sunday is hooked after an hour and then dropped.

He's obviously trying to punish Soyuncu and Tielemans. But it won't work if he puts out a team that will be battered and then has to bring them straight back in. He'll just lose credibility.

Justin is completely lacking in match sharpness the poor ****er. But he's free to be shit without consequence for now.

I can imagine the looks between the players when this latest bizarre plan was announced. The "he's gone nuts" look.

Agree on dropping Nacho being harsh but he's gone with the lone striker who has actual pace.

Couldn't really give a **** about the rest of them tbh.

They all deserve dropping based on what you are saying but he's dropped the ones who clearly don't want it rather than the ones who are just not very good but still try.

I see no other option after his comments and anyone who wasn't expecting it is the one that has gone nuts.

An alternative view...

Soyuncu has been shit all season. Amartey hasn't. So it makes sense to drop Soyuncu.

Presumably Lookman will be playing on the left. He's played well every time he's played there this season. So it makes sense to play him there instead of Barnes.

We're not going to have much of the ball against Liverpool, so we'll probably be trying to play on the break. Daka's pace makes him more suitable to that role.

Tielemans looks like his mind is elsewhere. Bench him.

Last edited:
He's obviously trying to punish Soyuncu and Tielemans. But it won't work if he puts out a team that will be battered and then has to bring them straight back in. He'll just lose credibility.
That was my thought, a punishment. Thing is, who is he punishing really? They might have been very naughty boys but they're still better than the options - particularly at CB. Dropping them (and Cags particularly) doesn't make a great deal of sense to me - other than to make a statement.

If Cags is on the bench, how long does BR make him sit on the naughty step until he brings him on? Half time? On the hour? Or does BR's pride mean he'd rather we took a tonking than back down?

Referee: Chris Kavanagh.
Assistants: Dan Cook, Dan Robathan.
Fourth official: Martin Atkinson.
VAR: Darren England.
Assistant VAR: Adrian Holmes.

Referee: Chris Kavanagh.
Assistants: Dan Cook, Dan Robathan.
Fourth official: Martin Atkinson.
VAR: Darren England.
Assistant VAR: Adrian Holmes.
Ah good. I remember the last time I went to Anfield the ref was Chris Kavanagh…and he gave a ridiculous penalty against Albrighton.

No

He'd have lost the plot if after his comments this week he left the players in that he's dropped.
Either way he’s using this match to send a message as opposed to, you know, trying to win. I do think this lineup will get battered. But then so would any of them.

I fully expected a lot of changes. He painted himself into a corner with Tielemans and Soyuncu. Plus they deserve dropping, will be interesting to see if they make the bench.

The treatment of Nacho is really harsh, though there is a tactical argument for it I suppose.

I dunno, all feels like endgame stuff to me.

I'm sorry but it's like some of you have forgotten about the absolute ****ing humiliation of Sunday already.

Some of these dropped players swanned around like they couldn't give a flying ****.

A statement needs to be made, the fact it's Liverpool is just unlucky but what do you do, wait until we play someone we think is shit and then drop them.

Unfortunately after Sunday you have to go with attitude over supposed quality (not seeing any at the minute anyway)

Head-to-head

Leicester City can win three consecutive league matches against Liverpool for the first time since a run of four from 1957 to 1963.
No team has done the Premier League double versus Liverpool since West Ham and Manchester United achieved the feat in 2015-16.
Leicester are winless in their 10 most recent league visits to Anfield (D2, L8). Their most recent victory there was by 2-0 in May 2000.

Liverpool

Liverpool are unbeaten in 14 Premier League home games, winning each of the last five.
The Reds have only won three of their 10 league matches this season against other teams who began this round of fixtures in the top half of the table.
Mohamed Salah has only managed one goal and no assists in his four Premier League appearances versus Brendan Rodgers' Leicester.
Diogo Jota can go five successive Premier League appearances without a goal for the first time as a Liverpool player.
Trent Alexander-Arnold can become the third youngest player to make 150 Premier League appearances for Liverpool, aged 23 years and 126 days. Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler were both 22.

Leicester City

The Foxes have gone seven away matches without a win in all competitions, conceding 21 goals (D3, L4).
The 37 Premier League goals they have conceded this season is their worst record after 20 games of a season in the division.
Leicester can lose three consecutive Premier League away fixtures for the first time since a run of four from April to August 2018 under Claude Puel.
This is their first Premier League away match since a 6-3 defeat at Manchester City on Boxing Day.
Patson Daka can become the first Leicester player other than Jamie Vardy to score in four consecutive Premier League appearances.
Brendan Rodgers was Liverpool manager from 2012 to 2015.

Brendan Rodgers was Liverpool manager from 2012 to 2015.

What a terrific stat

I suppose my frustration is in the broader “strategy” here.

Assuming Soyuncu and Tielemans have indeed been dropped, or if their attitude has been poor for some time. Then it’s obvious they are leaving in the summer, right? I’d go as far to say they’ve both got moves pre-arranged for themselves.

But why not shift them in January and recoup some money? Their value drops every day and if we are at the point where we can’t play them we are paying them to do **** all while their market price plummets. I’m certain we could have moved Tielemans in January if we wanted, and it’s probably the same for Soyuncu.

It lays bare either a lack of foresight and cohesion at the recruitment/transfer level, or a manager who has quickly lost a grip on his squad and is looking for scapegoats as the pressure mounts.

A statement needs to be made

How effective a statement is it should we (when we) get dicked and the players are back in the following game? Arguably, it backfires as a statement. A player could actually see it is validation.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be subject to something, but dropping them for a game, just to attempt to make a point, seems only to be cutting off the nose to spite the face. Drop them if they're shit and you've better options, by all means - but that's arguably not the case here.

I suppose my frustration is in the broader “strategy” here.

Assuming Soyuncu and Tielemans have indeed been dropped, or if their attitude has been poor for some time. Then it’s obvious they are leaving in the summer, right? I’d go as far to say they’ve both got moves pre-arranged for themselves.

But why not shift them in January and recoup some money? Their value drops every day and if we are at the point where we can’t play them we are paying them to do **** all while their market price plummets. I’m certain we could have moved Tielemans in January if we wanted, and it’s probably the same for Soyuncu.

It lays bare either a lack of foresight and cohesion at the recruitment/transfer level, or a manager who has quickly lost a grip on his squad and is looking for scapegoats as the pressure mounts.
You can chuck Ricardo on this list too.

That's it innit? Both are on their way to Liverpool in a bumper BOGOF deal. Part of the deal is that they don't play.... makes sense now ;)

An alternative view...

Soyuncu has been shit all season. Amartey hasn't. So it makes sense to drop Soyuncu.

Presumably Lookman will be playing on the left. He's played well every time he's played there this season. So it makes sense to play him there instead of Barnes.

We're not going to have much of the ball against Liverpool, so we'll probably be trying to play on the break. Daka's pace makes him more suitable to that role.

Tielemans looks like his mind is elsewhere. Bench him.
It's not as if he can drop everyone who was awful on Sunday. We don't have the bodies if nothing else. What you're saying all makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566