M.o.t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

Got to take my jalopy for its test this month.

It cost about £45 last year, is that about the norm or can you get it any much cheaper:102:.

Also in the event of failure what is the ruling regarding whether you pay or not for a re-test ?

Got to take my jalopy for its test this month.

It cost about £45 last year, is that about the norm or can you get it any much cheaper:102:.

Also in the event of failure what is the ruling regarding whether you pay or not for a re-test ?

My MOT was 52 quid however I have seen them cheaper even though it is supposed to be a set amount, the garages that do it cheaper will just off set the cost against any repairs that need doing!

If the car fails and is then left at the MOT testing centre for the work to be done witin 10 days of the date of failure then there will be no new fee payable. If the car is taken away from the centre for the work to be done and returned to the same MOT centre within 10 days then a nominal fee is payable (however in reality most centres will not charge for the re-test).

(mine failed!)

Last edited:
My MOT was 52 quid however I have seen them cheaper even though it is supposed to be a set amount, the garages that do it cheaper will just off set the cost against any repairs that need doing!

If the car fails and is then left at the MOT testing centre for the work to be done witin 10 days of the date of failure then there will be no new fee payable. If the car is taken away from the centre for the work to be done and returned to the same MOT centre within 10 days then a nominal fee is payable (however in reality most centres will not charge for the re-test).

(mine failed!)

or they'll just charge a smaller amount for the re-test (only if you let them do the repars)

The Arriva bus garage in Wigston does MOTs, like to use them as they don't do repairs so have nothing to gain. Standard price I think

I thought the council ones were a little more expensive but were well worth it to avoid being conned.

The fee (for a car) is £50.35. Nowhere should charge more than that but some places charge less to get your custom.

I am sure that test stations are much less likely to fail a car just to get extra work now than they once were. There is an appeals procedure and if they fail vehicles unnecesssarily, they will quickly use their 'MOT approval'. I think it is likely that just as many garages pass cars that should fail in the hope of not upsetting regulat customers who might take their business elsewhere.

I paid £20 for mine, it failed and repairs of £140 were required and then the re-test was free. My Dad went the same place, it passed but was recommended to sort out his brake pads in the near future.

I haven't got a clue whether the repairs were appropriate priced but the part was ordered and the mechanic happily took me to the car to show the probelm which was quite evidently a probelm.

Last edited:
North leicester Mot -benion road Boggy Fleas. No repairs good fair sevice
£40 MOT free retest within 7 days half price thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669