Man Utd sign keeper Van der Sar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Where will Ian Walker end up. :p :p :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

Man Utd sign keeper Van der Sar

Van der Sar made more than 150 appearances for Fulham
Manchester United have signed Dutch international goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar from Fulham for an undisclosed fee.

The 34-year-old has agreed a two-year deal and will join the club on 1 July.

United have been looking for a new goalkeeper after releasing Northern Ireland international Roy Carroll at the end of May.

Van der Sar, who has 95 international caps, moved to Fulham from Juventus for £5m in August 2001 and went on to make 153 appearances for the Cottagers.

He was linked with a move to United in January but agreed a contract extension with Fulham until summer 2006 instead.

The Dutchman is United's first new signing since the club's takeover by Malcolm Glazer and he is likely to join the squad for July's tour of the Far East.

He will become the latest in a long line of keepers to have been tried by manager Sir Alex Ferguson since the loss of Peter Schmeichel in 1999.

Mark Bosnich, Massimo Taibi, Raimond van der Gouw, Fabien Barthez and Carroll have all come and gone while Ricardo's contract expires this summer.

United's other keeper, American Tim Howard, agreed a new contract until 2009 in May.

Source

Carroll should of signed for us when he had the chance...

Steven said:

Read a rumour yesterday southampton want him :eek: i can't see that happening though pompey where linked with him in the past when redknapp was there manager

good signing for utd to be fair I don't know why they didn't try and sign him on a pre contract in January instead of having to pay a fee for him. he has been to good for Fulham since he signed for them

drummindefender said:
Steven said:

Read a rumour yesterday southampton want him :eek: i can't see that happening though pompey where linked with him in the past when redknapp was there manager

I read the other day that Redknapp wants Wise at Southampton! :eek:

good buy but bit of a surprise you would think with thier contacts they could find someone younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669