Martin O'Neill - Leicester Legend DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

According to play.com theres an O'Neill Leicester legend DVD coming out on the 8th (this coming Monday? Ive lost all track of time), the same day as the Champions DVD, just letting you know if anyone wants to buy it.

With all due respect to Martin O'Neill, the concept of Leicester Legend is being vastly oversold. :icon_roll

With all due respect to Martin O'Neill, the concept of Leicester Legend is being vastly oversold. :icon_roll

By Birch considering everyone a legend, yes :icon_bigg Though MON is one of the few people who deserves the title tbh.

Last edited:
I think he's regarded as a legend to us younger fans because he's been the only manager that we've seen bring real success.

Although I doubt that those that saw Leicester in the real glory days would have O'Neill at the top of their list of all time Leicester legends.

I think he's regarded as a legend to us younger fans because he's been the only manager that we've seen bring real success.

Although I doubt that those that saw Leicester in the real glory days would have O'Neill at the top of their list of all time Leicester legends.

MON is arguably more successful than Gillies and arguably is the most successful or gloroius "era", certainly in what trophies they won under him anyways. Obviously wasnt around in the 60s to tell you whether they really were the "real" glory days, but i think itd be close.

Still, i think youd be hard pressed to find someone of any age not to consider MON among Leicesters all-time legends or icons or whatever. Though like you say, he may not be the #1 legend as he is for a lot of the younger fans.

Last edited:
MON is arguably more successful than Gillies and arguably is the most successful or gloroius "era", certainly in what trophies they won under him anyways. Obviously wasnt around in the 60s to tell you whether they really were the "real" glory days, but i think itd be close.

Still, i think youd be hard pressed to find someone of any age not to consider MON among Leicesters all-time legends or icons or whatever. Though like you say, he may not be the #1 legend as he is for a lot of the younger fans.

MON is a legend but sadly that currency has been devalued recently. :icon_conf

I've been watching Leicester for over 30 years.
The O'Neil era achieved the league cup wins (and of course a promotion) so it was more successful I suppose but the Bloomfield era at its peak was the best football. I always thought the 'boring Leicester' tag under O'Neill was actually deserved - I know it made our fans angry but I felt there was some justification. In mitigation, by the time he had taken the helm all the big clubs had big money to spend and I guess smaller clubs had to play a defensive system to compete.
I would have loved to have seen what he would have been able to do with all the millions that Taylor squandered (the money from the sales of Heskey, Lennon etc)... might have been able to achieve a step up in entertainment value. Just one of those things we'll never know.

I've been watching Leicester for over 30 years.
The O'Neil era achieved the league cup wins (and of course a promotion) so it was more successful I suppose but the Bloomfield era at its peak was the best football. I always thought the 'boring Leicester' tag under O'Neill was actually deserved - I know it made our fans angry but I felt there was some justification. In mitigation, by the time he had taken the helm all the big clubs had big money to spend and I guess smaller clubs had to play a defensive system to compete.
I would have loved to have seen what he would have been able to do with all the millions that Taylor squandered (the money from the sales of Heskey, Lennon etc)... might have been able to achieve a step up in entertainment value. Just one of those things we'll never know.

Newts knew last week :icon_wink

in the history of LCFC, despite some flaws and what some people felt about him, he must be tagged as a 'legend' of the club as would some of his players. Anyone who thinks we have had anything close to a legend since 2000 would be completed barking.

And that includes Joey.....

According to play.com theres an O'Neill Leicester legend DVD coming out on the 8th (this coming Monday? Ive lost all track of time), the same day as the Champions DVD, just letting you know if anyone wants to buy it.

I've bought it and to be honest its just a re-hash of the O'Neill years on the History DVD released a couple of years ago.

in the history of LCFC, despite some flaws and what some people felt about him, he must be tagged as a 'legend' of the club as would some of his players. Anyone who thinks we have had anything close to a legend since 2000 would be completed barking.

And that includes Joey.....

i completely agree. Though Izzet played until about 04 and id count him as a legend, but certaintly no one signed after 2000. I do think Micky Adams did a very good job here and respect him a lot, but i wouldnt give him legend status.

I think NP, Tunch, Howard and Fryatt all have potential to be legends though, but its far, far too early :icon_wink

Steve Claridge isn't the best player we have had, but he is still a ****in legend.

Second only to Walshie in the player stakes for me (though im not old enough to remember anything pre-1996). Wasnt the most talented of players but always gave everything. And those 2 goals of course... :icon_bigg

It's not just football, everyone is branded a legend now by "the kids". One I know branded one of the guys from the inbetweeners a "****ing legend" the other day, lost all perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669