Media predictions for the new season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, it's fourth behind Bundesliga, Premiership and La Liga... but only in terms of total attendance for the season... which is obviously a bit skewed, since the Championship has 24 teams, and other European league only have 18 teams.

Apparently it's 8th in terms of actual average attendance! Not even the highest attendance for second tiers (German 2nd division has higher average attendances)

Article about attendance figures around Europe here (including an interesting bit about Bradford's season ticket policy) http://www.scenta.co.uk/sport/olymp...lass-average-but-championship-isnt-fourth.htm It's a year old, but interesting

Apparently it's 8th in terms of actual average attendance! Not even the highest attendance for second tiers (German 2nd division has higher average attendances)

Using the total attendance is clearly inaccurate, because of the different number of clubs in the leagues, but using the average attendane is also inaccurate, because you're not comparing like with like.

Germany's second tier average is the average attendance of the clubs ranked 19 to 36 in the country.

The Championship's average attendance is the average of the clubs ranked from 21 to 44.

Using the total attendance is clearly inaccurate, because of the different number of clubs in the leagues, but using the average attendane is also inaccurate, because you're not comparing like with like.

Germany's second tier average is the average attendance of the clubs ranked 19 to 36 in the country.

The Championship's average attendance is the average of the clubs ranked from 21 to 44.

But you aren't trying to compare the teams ranked 19 to 36 or whatever... they're trying to compare the whole league. So you have to include the whole league, whatever they're rankings

But you aren't trying to compare the teams ranked 19 to 36 or whatever... they're trying to compare the whole league. So you have to include the whole league, whatever they're rankings

It depends what you're trying to do with the statistics.

Because of the difference in the number of teams in the leagues there's no way to do a like for like comparison. There are several ways to produce stats, none of them will really prove anything.

I think that Times reporter is a bit weird. F****t 4th??????? Leic 5th?? No Newcastle or Boro in the top six, thats very brave or very silly. I fancy Boro to win it and Sheff Utd and West Brown will be amongst the thick of it.

Leicester

Manager: Nigel Pearson
Position last season: 1st (League One)
Players in: Robbie Neilson (Hearts, free), Chris Weale (Bristol City, free), Dany N'Guessan (Lincoln, undisclosed), Astrit Ajdarevic (Liverpool, free), Richie Wellens (Doncaster, £1.2 million), Wayne Brown (Hull, undisclosed), Jack Hobbs (Liverpool, undisclosed).
Players out: Joe Cobb (Wycombe, free), Barry Hayles (Cheltenham, free).

Few would support the theory that relegation has benefits, but Leicester City might. After demotion to League One two seasons ago, they appear to have returned to the Championship a stronger side, perhaps ready to emulate Bristol City and Swansea by competing for a second successive promotion.

Nigel Pearson has signed sensibly, bolstering the defence with Wayne Brown's experience and Jack Hobbs' potential and adding Richie Wellens' creativity to a midfield where, with the accomplished Matt Oakley complementing the emerging Andy King, Leicester already have options.

Steve Howard and Matty Fryatt formed the archetypal partnership of target man and poacher last season; if the latter can replicate his prolific form in the higher league, then the top half should beckon.

Key Man: Matty Fryatt - Which Fryatt will it be? The man who scored 27 league goals last season or the one who only mustered 11 in his previous two-and-a-half years at the Walkers Stadium?
One to watch: Andy King - Last season was a breakthrough year for the midfielder, who scored 10 times, established himself in the Leicester side and won his first Wales cap.

From Soccernet

In the sky mag that came through the post it had Nigel Pearson along with Sean O'Driscoll (Donny) Gary Johnson (Bristol C) Dave Jones (Cardiff) and another manager as the best five managers outside the prem.

Don't leave us in suspense Harb, who is the other one?

Are you expecting us to guess?

I'll go for Ian Holloway.

No. I forgot.

I'll just go check, I think my Mum may of threw it out.

Darren Ferguson.

Last edited:
You guys need to stop ganging up on Harbro-Fox. Cyber bullying bastards!

You guys need to stop ganging up on Harbro-Fox. Cyber bullying bastards!

Which 'guys' are you referring to and which bullying are you talking about? I haven't seen any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669