Michael Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.

enderby fox

So everyone is now talking as if Owen will never play for England again. His latest Injury putting him out for 2-3 weeks when what he needs is a bunch of games to get him back to his usual self.

So i ask do you think we have seen the last of Michael or do you think he will feature again and more importantly do you think he will figure in Capello's plans for the world cup.

Is it time to write him off and go with the youngsters. i think we can safely say, barring injury that Rooney, Defoe and Heskey are on the plane to South Africa.

I'd really like for him to get into the squad but i doubt he'll have enough time to do it.

He's a different sort of player to Defoe, Rooney, Heskey so would be a good player for the squad. Certainly has more to offer in terms of difference than Cole, Crouch & co.

Not the player he used to be, lost his edge and a couple of secconds slower.

Not the type of player who will win you the world cup, Agbonlahor should get a chance to prove himself the way he is going for Villa.

A couple of seconds slower at what?

Running a marathon?

Im sure you can work it out for yourself Jeff. A marathon would have nothing to do with his ability to play in the World Cup would it.

At full fitness he is a natural goalscorer, but it looks like his body cant cope with it anymore. It's a shame really because I would rather have him in the team then Cole, Crouch, Bent, etc

Don't rate him any more. Would be harsh to drop Cole, Defoe, Heskey or Crouch for him.

There just isnt any room for him in the squad once you add in Walcott, Lennon, Wright Phillips, Joe Cole, possibly Hargreaves if he ever gets fit.

For the first time in ages the England squad is actually a very competitive setup. There will be one or two decent players staying home come WC time...including Owen.

Last edited:
Don't rate him any more. Would be harsh to drop Cole, Defoe, Heskey or Crouch for him.

There just isnt any room for him in the squad once you add in Walcott, Lennon, Wright Phillips, Joe Cole, possibly Hargreaves if he ever gets fit.

For the first time in ages the England squad is actually a very competitive setup. There will be one or two decent players staying home come WC time...including Owen.

We don't have 1 world class striker in the entire squad though.

I still rate him but imo he needs a good season of playing regularly to feature at the world cup. I can't see him being taken and as you say i would sacrifice another forward who will probably not get a chance of playing for another option in defence or midfield. ie Hargreaves if fit or a Lescott/Cahill type player

If hargreaves plays anyhwere near like we know he can he won't just be in the squad but will take barry's place in the starting line up

If hargreaves plays anyhwere near like we know he can he won't just be in the squad but will take barry's place in the starting line up

I agree he's a cracking player but i'm not sure i'd agree with you on that. I think he's been out too long and somebody (barry) can do the job just as well as him and his been constantly playing for the past 2 years now.

Don't get me wrong if i had to choose between the 2, then i'd choose Hargreaves too but i just can't see it happening. I hope i'm wrong.

In his prime he was awesome, and among the most iconic England players of my lifetime. The goal vs Argentina, the hat-trick vs the Germans, the 2001 FA Cup final etc.

I'd love to see him get fit and back in the England squad again, not sure it's gonna happen though.

England dont have many games between now and the start of the world cup. For that reason i think Capello will not bother with Owen.
They have performed admirably and qualified without him.
Also with a manager smart enough to pick players on merit rather than reputation, i would say Owen will need a minor miracle to make it to SA.

I would have Owen in the squad for the World Cup, as long as he stays fit in the second half of the season.

Whether he can last 90 minutes or not, and regardless of the pace he's lost etc... he's still a natural finisher, and in a team that's creating chances, I think is guaranteed to score you goals.

I don't think the same can be said for any of other strikers really. Throw Owen on for the last 20 minutes when we need a goal, and I think he'd do the job... he's a born finisher, and not all about pace.

I would have Owen in the squad for the World Cup, as long as he stays fit in the second half of the season.

Whether he can last 90 minutes or not, and regardless of the pace he's lost etc... he's still a natural finisher, and in a team that's creating chances, I think is guaranteed to score you goals.

I don't think the same can be said for any of other strikers really. Throw Owen on for the last 20 minutes when we need a goal, and I think he'd do the job... he's a born finisher, and not all about pace.

Who would you drop? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670