Michael Vaughan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redditch Fox

I was reading Michael Vaughan's piece in this morning's Telegraph and thinking how cricketers' attitudes have changed - for the worse.

Vaughan was going on about how he couldn't accept just playing for Yorkshire and would have been thinking about the ashes whilst fielding at Scarborough etc. I prefer to be stuck in a timewarp where it was considered a tremendous honour to play for Yorkshire and any Yorkshire kid would have given anything for that. Now,I realise that Vaughan wasn't Yorkshire born, but still...

I also realise that anyone with an test batting average of over 40 is going to be a decent player - unless they were mostly scored against Bangladesh! but am I the only one that thinks that Vaughan has become too full of himself and in the end wasn't worth a place in a decent county batting line up. I also don't buy that silly story about his three year old son "knocking over my off stump when the ball hit a weed". With all Vaughan's money there wouldn't be any weeds in his lawn anyway!

I was reading Michael Vaughan's piece in this morning's Telegraph and thinking how cricketers' attitudes have changed - for the worse.

Vaughan was going on about how he couldn't accept just playing for Yorkshire and would have been thinking about the ashes whilst fielding at Scarborough etc. I prefer to be stuck in a timewarp where it was considered a tremendous honour to play for Yorkshire and any Yorkshire kid would have given anything for that. Now,I realise that Vaughan wasn't Yorkshire born, but still...

I also realise that anyone with an test batting average of over 40 is going to be a decent player - unless they were mostly scored against Bangladesh! but am I the only one that thinks that Vaughan has become too full of himself and in the end wasn't worth a place in a decent county batting line up. I also don't buy that silly story about his three year old son "knocking over my off stump when the ball hit a weed". With all Vaughan's money there wouldn't be any weeds in his lawn anyway!

Bit harsh imo

I think he realised he couldn't fulfil the role of a batsman anymore. I don't blame him for his mind being on england. He was an important part of our history for 6-8 years. People dream of playing for england and knowing the talent that he did have, i'm sure it affected his confidence and mindset.

He was an excellent captain and an excellent player but injuries caught up with him.

Bit harsh imo

I think he realised he couldn't fulfil the role of a batsman anymore. I don't blame him for his mind being on england. He was an important part of our history for 6-8 years. People dream of playing for england and knowing the talent that he did have, i'm sure it affected his confidence and mindset.

He was an excellent captain and an excellent player but injuries caught up with him.

Totally agree :038:

As a captain he had a knack of changing bowlers at the right time and getting wickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566