MM talks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice questions and answers on the leicester mercury website IMO..Love the bit about the"fans warning him off Warnock" hope is true...w**ker
sorry could not fit the whhole interview in but hereis some of the best bits

"MILAN ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS

15:53 - 25 June 2007

He's raised everyone's expectations with talk of his three-year Premiership plan, charmed journalists with a series of disarmingly frank interviews and given the City players a kick up the backside.

So... does that mean everyone's happy? Of course it doesn't. This is football, after all; one game - 30,000 opinions. We asked fans to send in their questions for Mr Mandaric. He answers them here.
An edited version of these questions appeared in the Leicester Mercury on Monday and Tuesday.
You stated significant funds would be invested and quality players would be signing - yet the new players are not inspiring. When will you sign some better players?
MM: "The squad needs to be rebuilt. I can assure you that you will see more new - and better - players at Leicester City before this recruitment drive is over.
"You just have to trust me and trust Martin Allen. We want to assemble a team that's going for the top six.

"Is it going to plan? Yes - I have to tell you that a few players have slipped though the net, but right now, it's back on track. Things are happening - and, Don, there is more to come."

If your three year plan fails and we don't reach the Premiership in that time what happens then - and will you continue to fund the club should it need it?
MM: "Hmm, I haven't thought about that. I have an aggressive and ambitious three year plan for this club. If that doesn't work, I might have to ask for an extension. I don't like the thought of that, though, to be honest."

As a City fan for over 40 years, obviously I would love us to be back in the Premiership, but, even more, I want us to win the FA Cup. I'm sure you know, we've played in it four times and lost every one. If you can win it for us, your name will become legendary!

Kate Thompson, Hertfordshire

MM: "I'd like to win every game we play. I love the FA Cup; I know what it means in England - and especially here in Leicester. Kate - let's see what we can do shall we?"

If I was thinking of starting up my own business, what would be your advice?

John Alexander, Leicester

MM: "Well, it would depend on the business but I would recommend you employ the right people - that's crucial. They need to give you the right support - honest support - and you should work together.

"You need to really know the business you're getting involved in - that should be obvious - and always listen. There's always good advice available to you but you'll only hear it if you are willing to keep your ears open."

You've spoken about raising fans' expectations here - then you go and appoint a manager from the old fourth division when we, the fans, were hoping for someone with a bit more clout. I wish you and Martin Allen well - but I fear this is your first mistake.

N Allen, (no relation) Loughborough

MM: "I appreciate your question but let me tell you, I did interview a lot of experienced people for the manager's job at Leicester City.

"I didn't see any big desire for them to become the manager - they didn't want the job in the way Martin wanted the job. I was impressed with his desire. I genuinely think it's what this club needs at this time.

"Look, when Martin O'Neill came to Leicester, he didn't arrive here from Real Madrid. He came from Norwich.

"Alex Ferguson came to Manchester United because he did well at a smaller Scottish club.

"I don't judge people from where they have come from - I judge them for where they want to be.''

Do you regret not replacing Rob Kelly as soon as you arrived?

Rob Bramley, Aylestone

MM: "Not really, no. Rob Kelly deserved a chance. He had earned that chance by what he did here the previous season.

"It didn't work out and I felt I had to act for the good of the club. Rob had his chance - and it was right to give him that chance - but I have no regrets."

Did the fans warn you off appointing Neil Warnock?

Mark Manning, Coalville

MM: "To be honest, Mark, yes they did. I have to say, Neil is not, despite what the newspapers have said, a close friend of mine.

"I have met him on maybe four or five occasions. I know him professionally. That's all.

"I think he has done well as a manager and, yes, he was on my short-list. But then the e-mails and messages started to arrive, it was clear that a lot of our fans were not so keen on Mr Warnock. So I listened to them.

"Besides, as I've said earlier, of all the candidates I interviewed, I was most impressed with Martin Allen."

Where do you expect us to finish next season? Is top half acceptable or will you accept play offs?

Kentfox, Kent

MM: "I want us to be in the Premier League. There are eight teams, I think, who will be a major force in the Championship next season. We're one of them. I expect us to be in the top six."

Well done on bringing back the old two-year kit cycle. But how much have Topps Tiles paid to have their name on the kit? I hope it was a lot - this is the worst LCFC kit I've ever seen, and I've seen a few.

Bob, Leicester

MM: "Well, I'm sorry to say that I disagree with you, Bob. This is a good-quality kit; it has been worn by Barcelona.

"My old club, Portsmouth, also wore this kit.

"I've never heard this kind of complaint before. I can only hope that you change your mind when the kit goes on sale."

You've bought a new goalkeeper, a few defenders - why don't you buy Southampton's Marek Saganowski and some decent midfielders? Then we can really push for promotion.

Neil Bennett, Leicester

MM: "Ha, Ha - good question, Neil - I can let you know that I like your way of thinking and I'm lying in wait there. Saganowski is a player I like. Watch this space, that is all I can say.

"We do need midfielders - but, look, we have started from the back. We have bought a goalkeeper, defenders: now we look to the midfield and the strikers. You can't build the penthouse, you know, without proper foundations."

Do you think the prolonged takeover of the club had a detrimental effect on the players and staff at the end of last season?

Raj Kumar, Evington

MM: "I think any takeover has an effect. Even a positive takeover, which, obviously, I'd like to think it was, can have a negative effect if it takes too long.

"I have to admit that the takeover took its toll on the club - the players and the staff and on me, too.

"Two or three times, I was ready to throw in the towel. There was a lot of negativity. But that's over now - let's look to the future.

"Leicester City was asleep and you couldn't even hear her snore. Not anymore."

I was enthusiastic about the idea of ground sharing between City and the Tigers. What is your position on this?

Geoffrey Davies, Leicester

MM: "This ground sharing issue was before my time, really. It was never part of my plan for Leicester City and I notice that the Tigers are now hoping to improve their present ground.

"I wish them luck and further success - and I hope that Leicester has two great sporting teams it can be proud of. I am not thinking about groundsharing."
With the Academy doing so well, are you looking to give some of these lads a chance next season?

MM: "Absolutely right. I'm very proud of our Academy and they've done so well this year. I want to encourage them.

"Yes, we are buying a lot of new players in the summer - but I want them to know that if they are good enough, they will be given every chance next season. That's how it should be."

When you first arrived, you spoke about the Walkers Stadium deal [Walkers paid just £1.5 million to get the naming rights to the stadium for 10 years - less than £150,000 a year] and that there might be "something happening" in that direction. What's happened there?

M Cresswell, Lutterworth

MM: "Good question. I have what I like to think is a very good working relationship with Walkers, especially their managing director, Neil Campbell.

"I did go and see Neil quite early on during my time here. Shall I just say that Walkers are now giving us additional funding support for the next 10 years. I am happy with that now."

Our dad takes us to the football sometimes. But he's said he's so sick of watching us play rubbish - and then queuing up to get a pie only be told all the pies have gone - that he says he's not going any more. Can you do something about a) the football and b) the pie situation at half time? Thanks.

Joe and Morgan Pickering, (aged 8 and 12), Ellistown

MM: "Well, Joe and Morgan, I'm sorry about your experiences, both on and off the field.

"On the football front, I can promise you next season will be different. There will be more pride, more passion and I hope, also, better results. I want fans to feel excited about coming to the Walkers Stadium and I accept there were times last season when that wasn't always the case.

"And I'll definitely put some pressure on the people who serve our half time refreshments.

"If your dad can't get a pie at half time, maybe you should let me know. Give me a call - then, the following week, I'll come down and queue with you, see if we can sort it out together."

Could you negotiate with the council for more accessible free or cheap local parking on match days?

J Tait, Leicester

MM: "It's a good point. Please give me more time to look at things like this because, to be honest, I don't know too much about them at the moment.

"There is a lot to do this summer and a lot ahead of me but I will try to look into this."

is that pie question piss take :)

Loving these gems......

"You can't build the penthouse, you know, without proper foundations."

"Leicester City was asleep and you couldn't even hear her snore. Not anymore."

I need to change my signature............

He can talk the talk alright.

It all sounds promising...But then it would. He's not going to come out and say we're rubbish, we're going for upper bottom half next season. blah blah blah.

Now he needs to back it up with a couple of major signings.

Ooooh I made the Merc!!!

is that pie question piss take :)

I doubt it very much. MM has already been seen with the fans at away matches. He travels by train to matches with no 'minder' and is quite happy to chat with fans. I am syure that if he thinks it will help, he will queue for a pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669