Mobile phone questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

Three questions....

1 - How on earth can ASDA charge for receiving a text when abroad? See https://mobile.asda.com/pages/charges-and-rates for proof. They use the EE network and even EE don't charge to receive texts outside of Europe!

2 - Anyone know what is the best value PAYG deal ATM? Or, the cheapest monthly contract. Need about 200 minutes, 200 texts and 1GB data per month.

3 - Anyone know of a good phone shop in Leicester area that will unlock a Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE? (I'm sure I used a shop near St Saviours Road in the past.) If my firmware wasn't already past Android 4.1 I would have had a free option but sadly my version has been updated past that.

Thanks.

Uses Vodafone as its carrier.

And is it as simple as it sounds? She just pays the 20 quid up front fee and after that there's no more cost if she stays in her limit? She never uses data and wouldn't use the allowance. Her problem at the minute is that her top up allowance expires before she uses it so she has to keep topping up even though she doesn't use it. I thought once you'd paid it lasted for ever.

Her problem at the minute is that her top up allowance expires before she uses it so she has to keep topping up even though she doesn't use it. I thought once you'd paid it lasted for ever.

I thought that top-ups (excluding bundles) only expired after 12 months of non-use. If she doesn't make a single call in 12 months, does she really need a phone? Perhaps you could insist that she calls you on your birthday each year.

I thought that top-ups (excluding bundles) only expired after 12 months of non-use. If she doesn't make a single call in 12 months, does she really need a phone? Perhaps you could insist that she calls you on your birthday each year.
She does use it, just not that often. She said she has to top up again every 3 months even if she hasn't used it. I've not checked for her though and that may just be her going on what a friend said. I'll check her credit next time I'm up

She does use it, just not that often. She said she has to top up again every 3 months even if she hasn't used it. I've not checked for her though and that may just be her going on what a friend said. I'll check her credit next time I'm up

Looking again, it seems that the balance is scrubbed after 90 days of non-use.

You could ask ee to unlock the phone £20.42 using their online form (they are a pain though and it takes 60 days for Samsung) or try a site like this http://www.samsungphoneunlocking.co.uk for £13.99

EE is out of the question as the phone is still in contract. Using an online service I can get it done for £10.99 but as I am a cheapskate even that is money I would rather keep in my pocket :icon_bigg

2 Do you need a phone or do you want SIM only as can get what you want for about £10 a month If SIM only.

As long as I get my Samsung unlocked I am fine for a phone. Even then, I have a HTC Desire that I unlocked last year but that isn't a patch on the Sammy.

1 Why did you text Boc at work from abroad. :icon_wink

For advice on sexual matters of course!

Last edited:
http://www.ovivomobile.com is a good deal.
I've been using their free plan for over a year with no problems and never needed more than the free allowance. They put ads in the browser but other apps don't get the ads.

So if I choose the 'Freedom 0' plan, I pay £20 today (which includes £15 of credit) and then every month I am with them I get 200 mins, 300 texts and 500MB totally free without the need to ever pay a thing more?

Have I read that right?

Apart from the advertising, what's the catch?

EE is out of the question as the phone is still in contract. Using an online service I can get it done for £10.99 but as I am a cheapskate even that is money I would rather keep in my pocket :icon_bigg

Ee will unlock as long as you are over 6 months into your contract but they are expensive and slow to do it, we are currently getting an iPhone 5 unlocked by them with over 10 months contract left.

Hope Spion didn't take the advice and sign up

At least he'd have had two months use out of it, unlike people who bought them yesterday.

I paid £5 for mine 19 months ago, so although I'm pissed off that I've got to go through the hassle of moving my number, and will actually have to start paying for my mobile phone use again, I don't think I can complain too much. They lasted longer than I thought they would.

Hope Spion didn't take the advice and sign up

At least he'd have had two months use out of it, unlike people who bought them yesterday.

After looking at their website I decided their business model was unsustainable and went with Tesco Mobile.

One of my former colleagues however signed up with them a month ago and transferred his number over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363